Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
To GaryMF

I have stayed here a few times since it was renovated and always in the historic building. It is wonderful and definitely my preference. I love historic type hotels so its right up my alley.

I have been in a Junior Garden Suite and an Ocean front suite and a King Ocean front room. The garden suite was actually larger and probably better set out because it had a separate room with a tightly closing door that was set up as a sitting room with a second flat screen tv (only issue was it did not have AC in that room so it got really hot).

The ocean view suite had a separate room too but with sliding doors (with glazed glass) and no second TV in that room - the room was not as large either. The view was nice but off to the side, so you could see the Tower rooms, Diamond Head, it overlooked the RH pool and part of Waikiki beach.

The ocean front room (not suite) had the best view of all the rooms with a small sitting area in one main room, the view is straight out over Waikiki beach and you can see Diamond Head too. Not as big or as convenient as the suites IMHO .

The bathrooms in all the rooms I have been in are tiny but beautifully renovated and appointed. We have had rooms with bath with shower over it and others with just a large shower (no bath). The single shower is probably my preference, I dont need a hot bath in the tropics...a nice shower is just fine to rinse off the day's salt and sand in paradise.

I have never stayed in the Tower section but have walked past and seen inside one that was open. I wasn't that impressed. I will stick with the historic side.

Hope that helps
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
..The ocean view suite had a separate room too but with sliding doors (with glazed glass) and no second TV in that room - the room was not as large either. The view was nice but off to the side, so you could see the Tower rooms, Diamond Head, it overlooked the RH pool and part of Waikiki beach...
Are you sure it was a regular suite and not a junior suite? It sounds like some of the Royal Ocean Jr Suites I've had this year (3 times) where there was a sitting room/parlor but considerably smaller than the bedroom and no tv, although to be honest I didn't pay attention to whether there was a door to separate or not (most also had a step up between the rooms).

(Like you I have a definitey preference for the historic building - this property has made my trips to HNL so much more enjoyable than when I've stayed at other properties in the same area)

Originally Posted by anchor79
...I was surprised they do not offer turn down no more unless you call in advance to request...
I was surprised by that with my most recent stay (late September).
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cawhite
Are you sure it was a regular suite and not a junior suite? It sounds like some of the Royal Ocean Jr Suites I've had this year (3 times) where there was a sitting room/parlor but considerably smaller than the bedroom and no tv, although to be honest I didn't pay attention to whether there was a door to separate or not (most also had a step up between the rooms).

(Like you I have a definitey preference for the historic building - this property has made my trips to HNL so much more enjoyable than when I've stayed at other properties in the same area)

I was surprised by that with my most recent stay (late September).
Sounds like a jr suite.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Was upgraded to a large garden suite as a Platinum. Very nice room. The beach was amazing! Best service. Was granted checkin at 6AM on arrival and late checkout of 4PM. Excellent staff!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:01 am

Royal Hawaiian

Booked a garden suite
are these nice?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Excellent! I was there last November and can't wait ti go again in 2012.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I haven't stayed in one myself (only the Royal Ocean Jr Ste & a full ocean suite), but several others have commented on them in the master thread for the Royal Hawaiian - you might find those posts helpful. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CLTF
Booked a garden suite
are these nice?
Yes they are nice. However the garden suite I stayed in was like really far from the lobby ..... that I could see the driveway of the Sheraton Waikiki. So it was a long walk away .... and when in Hawaii, the last thing I want to do is walk
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:59 am

Royal Hawaiian plat benes?

As a platinum
what are the current benefits at this property?

Ive heard

-bottle of pink champagne and banana bread in room

-2 sunloungers daily for free

-Continental breakfast

is this right?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CLTF
As a platinum
what are the current benefits at this property?

Ive heard

-bottle of pink champagne and banana bread in room

-2 sunloungers daily for free

-Continental breakfast

is this right?
If they changed the bene's since I was last there, this would be good, but the above is not what we've gotten each time there ... actually none of the above.

We've had good luck with upgrades at RH ... nice suites. As for the bene's, it was a virgin Blue Hawaii down at the beach side bar that isn't worth the time and a lunch coupon, which we've never redeemed since we tend to leave the hotel during the day for snorkeling, boating, etc. ... a b'fast option would be preferable.

As a result, we tend to go to Sheraton Waikiki next door rather than RH. Access to the infinity pool ocean-side of the property (adults only) and the lounge for a quick bite and coffee before heading out. Also, great view at SW is highly likely with upgrade, at a sacrifice for the luxury of the room of course compared to RH ... but love the view !!

Love the Royal Hawaiian for the service, escape and suites ... but haven't been satisfied by the plat bene's, at least not for our typical Hawaii agenda. If we were spending all our time at the hotel/beachfront, perhaps that would change.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Beach chairs charge?

I thought I read somewhere they charge for beach chairs? Is this new, they never did few years ago
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I thought I read somewhere they charge for beach chairs? Is this new, they never did few years ago
Not the last time I was there (March 2011), but the Westin next door was charging
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:51 pm

As of November '11 they did not charge. IIRC they are a "benefit" of the resort charge.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
well looks like indeed are, from website:

Beach Chaise Lounge and Umbrella Set Rental

From the comfort of your private beach chaise lounge and umbrella set, enjoy panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and world-famous Diamond Head. All of our beach sets face the ocean and allow our guests to take in the sights and sounds of Waikiki while soaking up the Hawaiian sun. Each private beach set includes the use of one umbrella and two chaise lounges for the duration of the day. The fee is $40 per day plus tax.

Wow a big
The idea of spending $450 night plus resort fee AND $40 day really makes me consider staying someplace else like Kahala
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
well looks like indeed are, from website:

Beach Chaise Lounge and Umbrella Set Rental

From the comfort of your private beach chaise lounge and umbrella set, enjoy panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and world-famous Diamond Head. All of our beach sets face the ocean and allow our guests to take in the sights and sounds of Waikiki while soaking up the Hawaiian sun. Each private beach set includes the use of one umbrella and two chaise lounges for the duration of the day. The fee is $40 per day plus tax.

Wow a big
The idea of spending $450 night plus resort fee AND $40 day really makes me consider staying someplace else like Kahala
Wow, thats a HUGE deval. the free beach chairs was why we chose the RH last year, and definitely made the trip. never was that area over crowded either, so that's a definite nickle and diming. Too bad, knowing this I would never stay hear again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.