Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2023, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completed a two night stay on points. Applied SNAs and was upgraded six days out to a Historic Garden View Jr. Suite. This was the lowest category room I requested, and it was a mistake on my part. Room was super unappealing - 4th floor overlooking building roofs; there was no "garden" visible beyond a couple of tree tops. Went down to see if they could give us something with a better view, wound up speaking to one of the managers and she put is in a Mailani Tower King on the 3rd floor. (She also mentioned that around 80% of their guests are Plat or higher.) Loved the balcony, with the large sofa and ottoman and view of palm tree tops and the water. It was pretty noisy though, from neighbors on both sides and live music at the neighboring Outrigger.

Staff were really great. Also liked the more low key feel compared to the Sheraton. Similar to Mauna Kea, the continental breakfast was pretty high quality and just fine for me. They gave us one of the three beachfront tables for breakfast this morning and that was lovely.

Overall an enjoyable stay and a very solid value for 132k points. My issues with all the noise have more to do with Waikiki than anything specific to this property, though we did find the high floor room we had at the Sheraton last stay was considerably quieter than 3rd floor Mailani Tower.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a great stay here using a decent cash rate, combined with an Amex Offer to save $150, bringing the room cost to around $200 for my one night stay. Got a garden view suite with a SNA, which was further upgraded to an oceanview suite! Full tour here:
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:24 pm

Just got back from a 18 night trip to Hawai, split between Oahu and Kauai. As a LTT, we stayed at the Royal Hawaiian on a cash rate($500) in the Malani Tower between Dec 17-20th.
We booked the Malani Tower King Bed, and when checking in, that was all available, didn't push the upgrades too much since it was busy season.

We did the continental breakfast that was part of the Bonvoy benefits, I did upgrade to the pancakes for one of the days, but overall for a breakfast, the continental was fine.

I had prebooked for one of the loungers sets on the beach for the 2nd day there, unfortunately, the weather was not the greatest and it rained pretty much all day. lol
But we made the best of it, and enjoyed the quiet times.
We had lunch at Mai Tai when we had the lounger, I had the burger and a drink. Lunch for 2 was 90 bucks with tips. Food was fine, but definitely was Waikiki price. The next day, we did lunch at Marugame Udon outside, and it was great.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, acceptable but nothing exceptional. We did have an unfortunate incident with their valet services that put the damper on this hotel stay. We had called down to the valet from our room to get our car. Then 15-20 mins later we walked down to the lobby and waited for the car. No one from the bell desk or front door asked us what we were waiting for when we got there. Other guests showed up after us, and they were talking to them, calling taxi's for them, grabbing their bag. We must've waited another 10 mins when no one there acknowledged us, so I asked the person working the Valet desk if my car was on its way. At this point, the person found our car keys in the drawer and hang it on the board. Obviously, they didn't react to the phone call early. We waited for another 5 minutes with no one taking our car keys to retrieve the car. Wasn't until another guest drove up to drop off their car, that someone took my keys and went with the new car to bring back my car. We were at the front of the hotel for a good 30 mins waiting for our car, in addition to the time that we called from our room.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:57 pm

Sorry if this has been answered up thread, but do they give you lei's upon arrival and if so what kind?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by spier072
Sorry if this has been answered up thread, but do they give you lei's upon arrival and if so what kind?
When I went in 2022 they gave us the nut style leis
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by spier072
Yes, they give out those black nut style lei's at the front door.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Commie
Yes, they give out those black nut style lei's at the front door.
Kukui
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Booked cash rate with nightly upgrade awards... got into Mailani Tower Ocean Suite (highest non specialty suite category). Previous stays were Historic Garden Suite then Mailani Family Loft Suite.

Maybe I should just stay here and forget the rest of the properties...

I don't think this category was available in the SNAs previously, so a plus to the new system.

Last edited by gudugan; Jan 21, 2024 at 5:27 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan
Booked cash rate with nightly upgrade awards... got into Mailani Tower Ocean Suite (highest non specialty suite category). Previous stays were Historic Garden Suite then Mailani Family Loft Suite.

Maybe I should just stay here and forget the rest of the properties...

I don't think this category was available in the SNAs previously, so a plus to the new system.
I’ve always been upgraded to these tower rooms as a platinum or titanium over the past 10 years. Granted I usually travel if off season but I’ve always booked the cheapest rooms and end up in the towers. It’s a reason that the RH is my favorite hotel in Waikiki.
gudugan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.