Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Back after a 5 night visit over Christmas
Very happy we stayed here

Parking if needed is in a structure adjacent to the Sheraton next door. There is currently no valet being offered so it's a bit of a walk from the structure to the front of the RH.
​​​​​
The hotel was much nicer than I originally anticipated. I was expecting something a little run down, but the public areas were all very well kept and the outdoor courtyard is a pink beauty.

Thankfully prior to our arrival, we were preemptively upgraded to a Maliani room with a high floor ocean view. It was decent but relatively small, especially considering the cash rates the hotel charges for these rooms. We did enjoy the balcony and those gorgeous Waikiki sunsets.

The hotel has no food/drink options currently apart from the Tiki bar. The pool did just start waiter service on Christmas which was a nice surprise the last few days.

As mentioned by other members, the location can't be beat. It's mere steps from the elevator to the sand. You do need reservations for hotel umbrella seating, but the beach itself is all public.

All in all, we enjoyed the property very much. Would gladly return
​​​​​​
You mentioned that the only food option is Tiki bar. Do you know if that means that Platinum or above won't get free breakfast at this property?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
You mentioned that the only food option is Tiki bar. Do you know if that means that Platinum or above won't get free breakfast at this property?
There’s a Marriott FB group with a review of 7 properties. This is the RH review:

Royal Hawaiian: Booked a Historic Room King and was upgraded to a Historic Garden Suite. The lounge was closed and the free breakfast was at the Mai Tai bar. Out of all of the free breakfast options, this was the best one. No valet parking was available and only self parking was available. I did give feedback that in times of Covid that it might not be a good idea to pass a piece of paper back and forth with the attendant and to use the same method that the Sheraton Waikiki was using. Not sure if they are going to implement but they share the same parking lot as the Sheraton Waikiki. I was able to get the hotel to waive the resort fees because there was a lot that was not going on when I was there. Needed to have a pool reservation to use the pool.
lincoln boy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Just to expand on the post above

The front desk provided us a certificate for each night we were staying.
​​​​​​
The breakfast itself was a "continental" to go box consisting of eggs, bacon, and potatoes. We also received orange juice but I think pineapple was available as well.

You can either take it to your room, or eat at some of the outdoor tables near the bar.

In my opinion, the breakfast was pretty mediocre. The potatoes and bacon were fine, but the amount of butter in the eggs was over the top.

​​​
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Just to expand on the post above

The front desk provided us a certificate for each night we were staying.
​​​​​​
The breakfast itself was a "continental" to go box consisting of eggs, bacon, and potatoes. We also received orange juice but I think pineapple was available as well.

You can either take it to your room, or eat at some of the outdoor tables near the bar.

In my opinion, the breakfast was pretty mediocre. The potatoes and bacon were fine, but the amount of butter in the eggs was over the top.

​​​
Ugh - I booked a FHR rate with breakfast for 2 nights in February. Might look somewhere else now ...
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by ordogg
Ugh - I booked a FHR rate with breakfast for 2 nights in February. Might look somewhere else now ...
There is a great offer available through Marriott STARS agents right now that blows FHR away. The promo includes full breakfast, 4th night free and $150 credit, plus welcome gift, etc, and waived resort fee SELECT and Virtuoso have similar offers, but not FHR at the moment (or I can't find it). The STARS offer is the most generous though.

I was/am looking into this for personal travel, and I've confirmed with STARS angels at the hotel that breakfast credit covers the full menu. If you are only staying two nights, the terms would be different (probably closer to FHR value--but I'd confirm whether FHR is full or continental for sure).
TravisMT81 likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 21, 2021 at 9:16 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
How Do I book Mariott STARS?

thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:01 pm

How Do I book Mariott STARS?

thanks!
There are a few STARS agents on flyertalk, including myself.

Should add, these STARS rates have to be booked through a travel agent. If you have one, great, or feel free to PM or check my singature link. Also, to be clear, full Bonvoy credit/benfits apply in addition to the included perks.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 22, 2021 at 7:16 pm Reason: amplification
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Did you end up staying? Curious how your experience was. Having trouble deciding between the Sheraton and the RH for a trip in late April for a family of 4 w/2 toddlers.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by IrishYoman
Having trouble deciding between the Sheraton and the RH for a trip in late April for a family of 4 w/2 toddlers.
Have not been during COVID, but have spent considerable time on research for clients and a possible personal trip. Some observations from that and reviewing FT threads:
  • Elite breakfast at both properties will be continental (served in Kai Market at SW) or grab & go (RH).
  • Both properties have only one restuarant operating at all meal times, Rumfire (SW) and Mai Tai Bar (RH).
  • STARS and Luminous bookings receive full breakfast in the restuarant.
  • Both properties are offering 4th night free packages through STARS/Luminous through mid-December--3 nts at standard rate, 4th nt charge waived at checkout (repeatable).
    • RH offer includes enhanced F&B credt and waived resort fee and applies to all room categories
    • SW offer does not waive resort fee and requires booking ocean front category or higher
  • RH does not upgrade elites from the Historic wing (no balconies) to the Mailani Tower (modern buidling with balconies), but it does sound like elites have been getting upgraded to suites at both properties (but spring break is another story)
I was ready to pull the trigger on the RH for a week-long stay, but my teenager, had one request--a balcony to enjoy wihile Zooming (trip will over a school week), so we've refocused on SW, and possibly other destinations now as well.

Hope this helps frame your decision!
nsx78, margarita girl and Kacee like this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Feb 24, 2021 at 8:52 am Reason: formatting/clarification
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Have not been during COVID, but have spent considerable time on research for clients and a possible personal trip. Some observations from that and reviewing FT threads:
  • Elite breakfast at both properties will be continental (served in Kai Market at SW) or grab & go (RH).
  • Both properties have only one restuarant operating at all meal times, Rumfire (SW) and Mai Tai Bar (RH).
  • STARS and Luminous bookings receive full breakfast in the restuarant.
  • Both properties are offering 4th night free packages through STARS/Luminous through mid-December--3 nts at standard rate, 4th nt charge waived at checkout (repeatable).
    • RH offer includes enhanced F&B credt and waived resort fee and applies to all room categories
    • SW offer does not waive resort fee and requires booking ocean front category or higher
  • RH does not upgrade elites from the Historic wing (no balconies) to the Mailani Tower (modern buidling with balconies), but it does sound like elites have been getting upgraded to suites at both properties (but spring break is another story)
I was ready to pull the trigger on the RH for a week-long stay, but my teenager, had one request--a balcony to enjoy wihile Zooming (trip will over a school week), so we've refocused on SW, and possibly other destinations now as well.

Hope this helps frame your decision!

​​​​​​Not sure if it was due to low occupancy, but we stayed at the RH over Christmas and were upgraded from a base room in the historic wing to a Mailani tower room as a Titanium.

As far as Sheraton vs RH, I'd probably choose the Sheraton as it has more onsite amenities suitable for teens
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:11 pm

​​​​​​Not sure if it was due to low occupancy, but we stayed at the RH over Christmas and were upgraded from a base room in the historic wing to a Mailani tower room as a Titanium.

As far as Sheraton vs RH, I'd probably choose the Sheraton as it has more onsite amenities suitable for teens
Nice! My assertion was not based on official communication from the property...just what I've seen here, client reports, Marriott website reviews, tripadvisor, etc, so maybe there is hope!

I agree on choice of Sheraton, as the balcony, updated rooms, adult pool, etc. are all appealing. Plus you can still easily wander over to the Royal to bask in its beautiful grounds/lobby and historical glory. Just stay away from the hat shop...proprietor almost talked me into a $1,200 Panama last time I was there.

Some other factors that have been noted in the SW forum (where this question was also asked):
  • Favorable proportion of suites to overall room count at SW
  • Views from higher floors of Diamond Head at SW
  • A choice of hot items on SW elite breakfast menu
  • More "active" (i.e., loud) family ambiance permeates SW

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Feb 24, 2021 at 6:25 pm Reason: amplification
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Which suite(s) and how likely can you get an upgrade (for 5 nights) using SNA? Any experience?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
Which suite(s) and how likely can you get an upgrade (for 5 nights) using SNA? Any experience?
Was there 2 weeks ago and used 5 SNA to successfully upgrade to a Historic Garden Suite, Suite, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by justforfun
Was there 2 weeks ago and used 5 SNA to successfully upgrade to a Historic Garden Suite, Suite, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing.
Was this your first time using SNA at this hotel? I was wondering how easy to get an upgrade here. I'm sure it's not that difficult right now but after the pandemic....
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Does anyone know how the Waikiki Beach Maintenance Project (a significant beach restoration/expansion project involving hydraulic dredging from Jan-May 2021) is currently impacting the beach at the Royal Hawaiian? Additionally, is the construction having any negative impact to other on-property amenities?

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.