Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
You mean upgrade choice is suite with garden view (no view) or room with ocean view?
You get the garden view suite at check in when your SNAs clear. Then you negotiate with them to switch to ocean view room on the spot. Not sure if it's a choice before you arrive. I have done this at least 3 times.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
You get the garden view suite at check in when your SNAs clear. Then you negotiate with them to switch to ocean view room on the spot. Not sure if it's a choice before you arrive. I have done this at least 3 times.
It is not a pre-arrival choice, at least for me. Here are the "Suite upgrade" options. Yet another reason SNAs are of questionable value.
  • Historic Garden King Guest room, 1 King, Garden view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Garden Double Guest room, 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Garden Club Club level, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Ocean King Guest room, 1 King, Ocean view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Ocean Club Club level, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Ocean view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Ocean Deluxe Larger Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Ocean view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Garden Jr. Suite Junior Suite, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Garden Suite Suite, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing
Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
It is not a pre-arrival choice, at least for me. Here are the "Suite upgrade" options. Yet another reason SNAs are of questionable value.
  • Historic Garden King Guest room, 1 King, Garden view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Garden Double Guest room, 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Garden Club Club level, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Ocean King Guest room, 1 King, Ocean view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Ocean Club Club level, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Ocean view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Ocean Deluxe Larger Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Ocean view, Historic Wing
  • Historic Garden Jr. Suite Junior Suite, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Historic Wing
They do have a suite in there, so they are complying with the rules.

Whether it's a suite you would want is a different question. This property is hardly unique in offering a rather unattractive SNA pool.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee

Whether it's a suite you would want is a different question. This property is hardly unique in offering a rather unattractive SNA pool.
The rules have been changed so that SNA's just have to be better than base room anyways, so any property actually showing a Suite is a bonus.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
So, by including the term "suite" in the name multiple times, does that make these two that much "suiter"? Or if these are hot enough, are they "sweater"?

It is not a pre-arrival choice, at least for me. Yet another reason SNAs are of questionable value.
Agreed.

David
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The rules have been changed so that SNA's just have to be better than base room anyways, so any property actually showing a Suite is a bonus.
lol I guess I was referring to rules of common English usage, as opposed to Marriott's rules, since Marriott doesn't actually require a suite be offered.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
lol I guess I was referring to rules of common English usage, as opposed to Marriott's rules, since Marriott doesn't actually require a suite be offered.
I can't wait until Marriott properties start offering "suite-ish" rooms.

David
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist

Yeah. What is curious though is that the SNA-eligible suite is actually more expensive than the Maliani rooms paid in cash. So logically one would expect those to be SNA eligible also. But I guess it is foolish to try and apply logic to this program.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Anyone stay here recently?

Curious how generous they are currently with upgrades?
Old Dec 15, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Anyone stay here recently?

Curious how generous they are currently with upgrades?
Around the Holidays and New Years, the busiest times of the year......You cannot compare to other time upgrades......People happily pay full price and don't blink. You are in the hands of the universe

Cheers!
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Around the Holidays and New Years, the busiest times of the year......You cannot compare to other time upgrades......People happily pay full price and don't blink. You are in the hands of the universe

Cheers!
The universe... a vast oasis of possibility. Where upgrades are granted not by status, but by the divine whim of powers beyond
NYCtraveler and Nagasaki Joe like this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
The universe... a vast oasis of possibility. Where upgrades are granted not by status, but by the divine whim of powers beyond
HAHA: Exactly! Hopefully the gods smile down. I have friends who are Bankers and they have 4 weeks off per year......2 they spend with their Girl/Boy friends (business trips, no judgement) and 2 with their wives kids, families etc.....When they travel, they all travel big.....no flytertalk, no tripadvisor, no google reviews etc. They use a high end travel agent...and a week in two suites usually costs them about $40K with FC commercial air....And I always think......Damn, Thats who took my upgrade!!!!! Hahahaha. Good luck! Xmas, New Years, Easter, Winter break.....Its tough.
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:23 pm

Back after a 5 night visit over Christmas
Very happy we stayed here

Parking if needed is in a structure adjacent to the Sheraton next door. There is currently no valet being offered so it's a bit of a walk from the structure to the front of the RH.
​​​​​
The hotel was much nicer than I originally anticipated. I was expecting something a little run down, but the public areas were all very well kept and the outdoor courtyard is a pink beauty.

Thankfully prior to our arrival, we were preemptively upgraded to a Maliani room with a high floor ocean view. It was decent but relatively small, especially considering the cash rates the hotel charges for these rooms. We did enjoy the balcony and those gorgeous Waikiki sunsets.

The hotel has no food/drink options currently apart from the Tiki bar. The pool did just start waiter service on Christmas which was a nice surprise the last few days.

As mentioned by other members, the location can't be beat. It's mere steps from the elevator to the sand. You do need reservations for hotel umbrella seating, but the beach itself is all public.

All in all, we enjoyed the property very much. Would gladly return
​​​​​​

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Dec 29, 2020 at 9:32 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Thankfully prior to our arrival, we were preemptively upgraded to a Maliani room with a high floor ocean view. It was decent but relatively small, especially considering the cash rates the hotel charges for these rooms. We did enjoy the balcony and those gorgeous Waikiki sunsets.

​​​​​​
That's quite a sad upgrade given how bad their occupancy is right now. Almost like the pandemic never happened.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by stvr
That's quite a sad upgrade given how bad their occupancy is right now. Almost like the pandemic never happened.
Well yes and no. The hotel considers the Mailani rooms above pretty much all the historic wing rooms. The only room categories above ours would have been a Mailani Suite or Corner room. I did ask for a suite, but was told none were available. Didn't feel like pushing back since we didn't really need all that room.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.