Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
So just got back from our third stay at RH. We are plat. Here's a quick report.

Had a five night garden view booked on points. Used my suite upgrades and was upgraded to a "garden view" one bedroom suite. However, the garden view overlooked the Sheraton pool and the ocean beyond that from one wall of windows so was perfectly nice. We had the RH valet out one side but it was almost silent but for a few drunks stumbling in one night. This is in the old building which I actually thought was in better condition than the newer building.

As plat you get choice of 1,000 points, bottle of wine, or full breakfast for two at Surf Lanai The full breakfast is an almost unchanging daily buffet. Bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, Japanese items, some fresh fruit, cereal, breads, etc.... About the same as the lounge at a lot of properties. It was fine. The service was good and employees friendly so it was good.

As a plat we also could have accessed the breakfast in the lounge though we chose not to. They say they don't have a lounge but they do and it's as nice as most properties though no tv. However, the benefit is you get wine/beer each night from 5:00 to 7:30 I think it was with appetizers. It's an open air lounge and the air is just about always perfect there.

It's not a true "five star" hotel as many have noted but it's a solid 4.5. The housekeeper greeted us by name each time we saw her, the staff at the Mai Tai bar was very friendly, beach chair set up good though food/drink slow and no booze allowed on beach (officially). Check-in was fine though room wasn't ready until about 3.

All in all a nice stay and we will do it again in the future!
The Royal Hawaiian, Luxury Collection; Westin Moana Surfrider; and Sheraton allow their guests to charge to their rooms at any of the three hotels. I believe even the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani is part of this. It would be interesting to know if you could redeem the breakfast benefit could be redeemed at any of the other properties, as I think the Westin breakfast is better -- at least the view.

As for The Royal Hawaiian, the flagship bar and restaurant are kind of disappointing when compared to other options in Waikiki (Halekulani and Trump, but even the Westin).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I recently completed a 3 night stay here as Bonvoy Gold on an Amex FHR booking.

I booked a Garden View room in the historic building, and got upgraded to a 4th floor room at the Mailani Tower. Based on dummy-bookings on the website, occupancy on our dates was low, so I imagine this was a better-than-usual upgrade. The rooms were nice, but based on the view we had, you can understand why the higher floors are a different room category:

View from the 4th floor

The Mailani Tower provides nice laid-back mornings where you can have mimosas in the lounge before heading to Surf Lanai for the "real" breakfast. The breakfast voucher allowed a menu item in addition to the buffet. The $100 property credit was used for three days of beach chair rentals, which covered almost all the costs. The happy hour at night was generous with drinks, but I refrained from eating much at all there.

Late checkout was provided without any issues. Early check-in wasn't needed or requested.

The resort fee was not waived. However, the costs were charged directly to the hotel instead of FHR, so it qualified for a $75 Amex Offer at Luxury Collection hotels.

On the whole, I really enjoy this hotel. I know there are nicer hotels elsewhere, but none of them capture the Hawaiian vibe quite like this.
cawhite likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just finished a stay at this place. One of my favorite hotels in the world, I just really enjoy the Hawaiian vibe and the serenity in the heart of Waikiki.

Booked the cheapest available room for 2 nights (no view king in the old building). As a Titanium I was upgraded to a king ocean front in the tower with lounge access. The upgrade showed in the app the day before check in. Arrived at noon and the room was ready, late checkout was offered but not needed. The woman checking me in remembered me from my stay there 5 months ago. Took the breakfast buffet option instead of 1000 points which is a great deal for a nice breakfast buffet. Enjoyed the beach chair and umbrella set in their roped off area which is a reasonable $40 for the day. Spent 7 hours on the beach relaxing and enjoying. The pool, likewise, was enjoyable. Small, but still felt exclusive,
and chairs could always be found.

The lounge options for breakfast aren’t great and the evening cocktail hour only includes beer, wine and a pink sparking wine with some pasta salad and cold cuts but I don’t expect much from these lounges food wise.

There is a nice gym at the Sheraton next door available to use 24 hours a day and the Royal even has a small gym itself but the Sheraton’s is much better.

There is nothing like sitting out on your balcony at 6pm watching the sun set over Waikiki beach with a glass of wine in hand. No other hotel in Waikiki offers the location, charm and quality of the Royal which is why I keep going back!
cawhite and margarita girl like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
No other hotel in Waikiki offers the location, charm and quality of the Royal which is why I keep going back!
That's debatable, especially from the veranda of the Moana Surfrider Westin. Sunset at either L'Aperitif or La Mer at The Halekulani is pretty nice, too.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
We recently had a week long stay at the RH and loved it. As a gold, booked and paid for a 1 bedroom suite in the historic wing. Only upgrade offered was to the ocean view tower for $125 which we had no interest in, even for free we would not have moved. Loved the dimensions of the room and the corridors in the historic wing. It's so quiet, every morning we were woken by the sounds of birds and had a view into trees which is what we were seeking.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the Mai Tai bar. I thought food offerings there were average if I'm being kind. Drinks were nothing special. The area felt crowded. However can't say I'm a fan of the Surfrider either for drinks.

For me the RH will be where I return for future stays. I think is the sense of space in historic building that is a winner for me. Once you are off the beach it feels like a tranquil oasis in the centre of the noisy madness of Waikiki. We also found staff to be reactive and friendly.
cawhite likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Enjoyed the beach chair and umbrella set in their roped off area which is a reasonable $40 for the day. Spent 7 hours on the beach relaxing and enjoying. The pool, likewise, was enjoyable. Small, but still felt exclusive,
and chairs could always be found.

The pool at the Royal Hawaiian and the Surfrider are among the worst in Waikiki.

Regardless, rooms at the Royal Hawaiian are typically north of $500/night - I just don't find spending $40 for a beach chair reasonable on top of the room rate and a $40 resort fee per day.
kamchatsky and margarita girl like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:03 am
JBD

Resort Fee Inclusions

Contemplating a stay here with my family, haven't been here since before the '09 renovations.

Regarding the Resort Fee, I see on the Royal's own website a more comprehensive list of included items than what I see on Marriott's site. Was curious to hear from those who've stayed there recently if you received all this.

First, here's the link the hotel's own website for those of you that don't have it (and I'll add it to the wiki): https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/

And here's the link to that site's page on the resort fee: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/resort-charge/

Lastly, here's a screenshot from that page showing what the Resort Fee is supposed to include:

Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by JBD
Contemplating a stay here with my family, haven't been here since before the '09 renovations.

Regarding the Resort Fee, I see on the Royal's own website a more comprehensive list of included items than what I see on Marriott's site. Was curious to hear from those who've stayed there recently if you received all this.

First, here's the link the hotel's own website for those of you that don't have it (and I'll add it to the wiki): https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/

And here's the link to that site's page on the resort fee: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/resort-charge/

Lastly, here's a screenshot from that page showing what the Resort Fee is supposed to include:
Thanks for sharing! I just booked five nights on points for our anniversary in December, and was wondering how comprehensive this fee is.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:24 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by MusicMan216
Thanks for sharing! I just booked five nights on points for our anniversary in December, and was wondering how comprehensive this fee is.
Sure thing, and happy early anniversary!

Though I'm still curious to hear from FTers who've stayed there recently in regards to what they've actually received (and if that full list I linked above is given to the guest when they check in).

Interestingly, I found another page on the Royal's own site that also details what the resort fee includes, and it has one additional activity, a 15 minute surfing lesson.

Here's the link to that second listing, the page opens to their "Frequently Asked Questions", scroll down and click on "Room and Reservation".

And here's a screenshot of that second list:

Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Considering Internet is included, has anyone checked to see if they offer any alternative Platinum amenity? I’ll be there in a few days...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:35 pm

On our recent stay saw lots of guests taking advantage of the photo shoot. We did get a bag of muffins from the RH Bakery and they were very tasty. As to the others offerings, I can't honestly say that I actively sought to utilise the offerings. I can recall we did get plenty of bottled water on a daily basis.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Considering Internet is included, has anyone checked to see if they offer any alternative Platinum amenity? I’ll be there in a few days...
None for me. Hope you have better luck.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Checked into the Royal Hawaiian which seems a nice enough hotel, but once again I've had multiple problems with the Marriott Bonvoy programme which make my hotel stays with Marriott much less enjoyable at the moment.

I booked a nice and quite expensive King Bed room in the historic building for two nights. This was several hundred dollars more than the other Marriott hotels in the area, but I really liked the look and idea of the old "Pink Palace". I spoke to the Ambassador hotline a week out about getting a Your24 as I was flying in from Sydney. I never heard back (standard nowadays) but chased it up again and this time waited on the phone for the Ambassador to call and eventually got my Your24 confirmed, but was told there would be no upgrade as a result. Not exactly in the T&C's, but in this case it was fine by me as I wanted the room I booked.

I turn up this morning and the good news is that I received an upgrade to a Garden Suite, but the bad news is it wouldn't be available until the afternoon. No record of my Your24 request confirmed just a few days ago. I push for a room as planned and I'm told there are no rooms in the historic wing and indeed no rooms with King Size beds. I'm now in the Tower in a room which I realise is an upgrade and the view is of the beach which is nice, but which for me is a much worse fit than what I actually booked. I wanted the historic wing, I sleep much better on King Size beds, I now have a connecting door with someone very loud next to me and I don't use lounge-type facilities which the Tower is based on. I'd have been much better to just book at the Moani Surfrider and take some of the money I save for a big dinner here.

Also, just a note on amenity. I was told at check-in that the main benefit of the resort fee was free Internet - useful. When I pushed that I would get that anyways and would quite like a Plat/ Ambassador substitute I was told that's not something the hotel does.

I wouldn't mind so much if this kind of thing was a one-off, but these repeated screw-ups are really getting frustrating.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:25 pm

I'd go back to the front desk and ask to be relocated. We had an issue when we were there with the a/c in our suite and they immediately offered to move us. I felt they were the most reactive front desk I'd ever dealt with. The upgrade to the Tower seems to be highly sought after so they probably figure they are doing you a favour. However, like yourself, I'd take a room in the historic wing over the Tower any day.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's been a year since my last visit, but it used to be a choice of breakfast, sparkling wine (bottle) or points. The same choices as the PLT Welcome Amenity, but you couldn't choose the same item twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.