Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've never understood the lounge chair issue at any of the SW Hawaiian properties - the same issue plagues them all.

A simple, consistent policy at each resort should be based on the following:

1) Occupants of suites and Platinum guests may pre-reserve a lounge from their room in the morning - the lounge would be held for a maximum of 90 minutes and released if unclaimed by the checkin deadline given the guest by the pool attendent

2) All other hotel guests will need to report to pool services to claim a lounge in person and occupy that lounge continuously except (same policies apply to suite/Plat guests):

a) when in the pool
b) when dining at a hotel restaurant or bar (will need to checkout/in with pool attendant and 90 mins max. absence)
c) when in the spa (need to checkout/in with pool attendant and 90 mins max. absence)
d) using the restroom or returning to your room (will need to checkout/in with pool attendant and 30 mins max. absence)

If you do not adhere to one of the above conditions, your lounge is considered abandoned and will be given to the next guest if you're butt isn't in it.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by thekaica
I just completed a 3 night stay at the Royal Hawaiian.

The hotel’s location couldn’t be better. It’s one of the few hotels that has its own section on the beach. Unfortunately, the hotel is not “Waikiki’s finest luxury resort.” I met a person who was having a business conference at the hotel and she agreed. She didn’t get the welcome banana bread. She said some of the attendees felt that service was hit or miss. My main issues were the beach umbrellas and the reserving of beach chairs.

They do not have enough beach umbrellas for the number of lounge chairs. There was such a shortage that each day on the beach, the beach attendants were asking guests if they were using their umbrellas. Additionally, it was clear that the beach attendants were reserving many of the first row chairs and umbrellas for guests that clearly were not there within the 90 minute time period. If reserving in advance is going to be allowed, then it should be made available to all guests and not just a certain few who know about it.

Considering the money I paid for my stay, being asked if I was using my umbrella is not what I would expect from a luxury resort. I was underwhelmed on my visit.
Sorry to hear about that. Beyond the beach chairs/umbrellas issue, what else about your stay caused you to be underwhelmed? As suggested by JFKSFOLAX_friend, definitely contact the property regarding the issues you had. While I didn't notice a problem with the beach chairs during either of my visits in January, clearly you perceived there to be one and it should be brought up with the property management so they can address it with their beach/pool team to avoid ongoing issues.

I'm curious about the person you memtioned who hadn't received the banana bread welcome -- did she indicate if she had mentioned it to the hotel? I would expect that if she did, they would have recitifed the situation.

alanslegal mentioned upthread that he has an upcoming stay - I hope he'll comment back here afterwards. Likewise I have another upcoming stay and I'm looking forward to it, but that's based on my experiences from two stays in January.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by cawhite
Sorry to hear about that. Beyond the beach chairs/umbrellas issue, what else about your stay caused you to be underwhelmed? As suggested by JFKSFOLAX_friend, definitely contact the property regarding the issues you had. While I didn't notice a problem with the beach chairs during either of my visits in January, clearly you perceived there to be one and it should be brought up with the property management so they can address it with their beach/pool team to avoid ongoing issues.

I'm curious about the person you memtioned who hadn't received the banana bread welcome -- did she indicate if she had mentioned it to the hotel? I would expect that if she did, they would have recitifed the situation.
I do plan on contacting the hotel regarding my stay. I was just a little surprised given all the good things I have heard regarding the RH. I decided to finally give them a try only to be surprised regarding the beach situation. Perhaps they aren't aware that they simply do not have enough umbrellas to lounge chairs or need to limit how many people can get. On my visit, some front row chairs had one umbrella per chair.

The person who didn't get the banana bread will also be contacting the hotel. She mentioned that for the meeting, she had booked a block of rooms facing the grove but half of the attendees ended up getting rooms facing the front parking area.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:50 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cawhite
alanslegal mentioned upthread that he has an upcoming stay - I hope he'll comment back here afterwards. Likewise I have another upcoming stay and I'm looking forward to it, but that's based on my experiences from two stays in January.
I'm at the Royal right now and the hotel is full, and has been sold out for a number of weeks now. I tried to check-in at midday after being literally kicked out of the Moana Surfrider because I could not get a late check-out because of their resort status and that they are also at full occupancy and I was occupying one of their oceanfront tower suites

The Royal did the check-in registration at midday, I was upgraded to a Royal Junior Garden Suite even though they are full. I did ask for an Oceanfront room in the tower instead but was denied. I did however had to wait for the room, so I headed down the the beach at around ~1230pm.

We had great weather today so the beach was pretty busy all round. There were only two rows set up today, most of the first rows were occupied and 3/4s of the 2nd row taken as well. We managed to snare the last two seats in the front row and with an umbrella as well. Some occupied chairs did not have umbrellas, and yes they need a few more umbrellas. Most chairs appeared to be in use, and if there were any chairs being reserved it was a very small number in my view. Regardless, the were still quite a few unused chairs stacked up so they could have easily brought them down if needed.

Banana bread was not in my room but some were sent up not soon after I arrived in my room. That said, it's only banana bread and my girlfriend wasn't that impressed.

I'm above happy with the service so far, all the ambassadors have been friendly and have shown they genuinely are welcoming.

Considering the money I paid for my stay, being asked if I was using my umbrella is not what I would expect from a luxury resort. I was underwhelmed on my visit.
And if you stay at the Moana Surfrider a few steps along the beach, you pay a similar amount of $$$ yet to USE a chair on the beach, they ask you to pay $40 for a front row, $30 for 2nd row or $20 to any remaining chairs after midday. This is not what I expect from any hotel or resort. I pay money for the hotel and expect the use of its amenities, not to be slugged $xx to use their chairs, that's ridiculous!!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I really love this hotel and will be heading back here really soon

Glad to hear the chocolate coins have made a re-appearance for turn-down service . Mini DG and I loved the chocolates and also reading the little pink and white "RH history" cards that come with turn-down. Mini DG kept them .

Also looking forward to getting a REAL benefit out of the resort fee, with the free lunch deal ^. Are they ok with you saving 2 certs to use on one day for lunch?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I do plan on contacting the hotel regarding my stay. I was just a little surprised given all the good things I have heard regarding the RH. I decided to finally give them a try only to be surprised regarding the beach situation. Perhaps they aren't aware that they simply do not have enough umbrellas to lounge chairs or need to limit how many people can get. On my visit, some front row chairs had one umbrella per chair.

The person who didn't get the banana bread will also be contacting the hotel. She mentioned that for the meeting, she had booked a block of rooms facing the grove but half of the attendees ended up getting rooms facing the front parking area.
I would definitely reach out to the mangement team at the property - IME they've been very responsive and will want to ensure they address issues with their staff. W/r/t the umbrella issue, for both of my stays last month, the beach staff was prompt at checking with each new "arrival" as to whether they wanted/needed an umbrella (my last visit, in the course of 90 minutes, I was asked at least a couple times but it was also relatively early in the day).

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I'm at the Royal right now and the hotel is full, and has been sold out for a number of weeks now. I tried to check-in at midday after being literally kicked out of the Moana Surfrider because I could not get a late check-out because of their resort status and that they are also at full occupancy and I was occupying one of their oceanfront tower suites ...I'm above happy with the service so far, all the ambassadors have been friendly and have shown they genuinely are welcoming...
I'm glad you're having (another?) good stay at the RH. Hope to see the trend continuing.

And yes, it's just banana bread. But it's a nice touch.

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
...the little pink and white "RH history" cards that come with turn-down. Mini DG kept them .

Also looking forward to getting a REAL benefit out of the resort fee, with the free lunch deal ^. Are they ok with you saving 2 certs to use on one day for lunch?
I liked the history cards, especially for first-time guests. The one that comes with the banana bread is also nice.

I don't know if they'll allow saving two certs to use together for lunch, I think it would be great if they did. I'd reach out to the management team at the RH ahead of time to inquire, or possibly when you receive the pre-arrival email from the concierge team. Good luck and please let us know what you find out!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:28 am

Quick check on parking...

Arriving later today. As platinum, is self park comped (and if so, how easy or close is it?). What about valet parking...assuming everyone has to pay.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:28 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Yes it is fine to use multiple coupons per lunch as long as the Platinum guest is present. (I used two yesterday for me and the girlfriend.)

For lunch, its 2 course meal, and do not miss the Royal Bread Pudding as your dessert!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by devogrrrrl
Arriving later today. As platinum, is self park comped (and if so, how easy or close is it?). What about valet parking...assuming everyone has to pay.
I'm not sure about the rates (we stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki next door, self-parking was included in the resort fee, and valet was $15), but they share the parkade, which is in front of the Sheraton Waikiki. If you self-park, once you're outside of the parkade it's maybe a 1-2 minute walk to the entrance of the RH past the Sheraton.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
What a nice place to stay! I usually stay at the Sheraton next door but decided to try it out. We booked a garden view room and hoped for an upgrade. We were given a garden view suite. Very nice room! We used the lunch coupons on Friday and the meal was free. Loved the bread pudding! We used the beach on Thursday and sat in the rain on Friday. I would definitely stay here again!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:26 am

I'm new here so if I need to post this somewhere else, please let me know.

We will be staying at the RH in September this year - they posted on another forum (the RH manager) that there was going to be a refurbishment of the beach - more sand. Any idea when that will happen?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by jashlock
I'm new here so if I need to post this somewhere else, please let me know.

We will be staying at the RH in September this year - they posted on another forum (the RH manager) that there was going to be a refurbishment of the beach - more sand. Any idea when that will happen?
A few months after October 2010, according to this Nov 2009 report. Clearly, it's had some delays.

It may likely still be in the permitting process, so I wouldn't dream of trying to estimate a date.
http://www.waikikiimprovement.com/uploads/agenda.pdf

When it happens, I read an estimate that it will take about 60 days. Beaches will remain open except when they are blowing the sand.

Kyo-Ya, the owner of the SPG properties in Waikiki, is paying about 20% of the bill for the $2.5M project.

Update from 5/16/2011:
http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2011/05...s-forward-usa/
"A $2.5 million project to replenish the sand along a 1,700-foot shoreline of Waikiki Beach is finally set for completion by the first quarter of next year."
After APEC about 24,000 cubic yards of sand will be recovered from deposits 2,000 feet offshore and pumped to the shoreline. The sand will be dried out in an enclosed basin within the east Kuhio Beach crib wall. Once dry, the sand will be used to replenish the beach.

“We are restoring Waikiki Beach that has eroded over the years in a way that is socially and ecologically responsible,” said Department of Land and Natural Resources Chairman William Aila.

The project is expected to widen the beach by an average of 37 feet, which would bring it back to its 1982 width, Aila said. The replenishment, which will be done in stages, is expected to take 60 days, he said.

Officials said the work would be done in 50-foot increments, which will keep most of the beach open.
I'd say that it's unlikely that you'll see any impact in Sept 2011. The first stage is getting the sand. Then they'll let it dry. Then they'll pump it onto the beach in 50-foot increments.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, jashlock!

Last edited by sc flier; Jun 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the update SC Flier! I hope they continue along in island time.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:47 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
The 220 Experience: The Royal Farmer's Market (3rd Sunday of each month)

I just saw this in an Oahu Visitors Bureau newsletter:
The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Resort Collection, recently launched The 220 Experience, a farmers’ market and brunch that occurs on the third Sunday of each month. The 220 Experience features brunch items prepared with fresh local produce from farmers and ranchers located within a 220 mile radius of the resort.
Here's the link to the RH's info:
http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/dining/farmers_market

And here's a cut and paste of some of that page:
Join us for the newest indigenous event on August 21st at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort:

The 220 Experience: The Royal Farmers' Market

Debuted on April 3, 2011 as a fundraiser for the Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation, The 220 Experience is set to become The Royal's newest tradition.

Bringing together a select group of farmers with the highest quality of produce from within the State of Hawaii's 220 mile radius, The Royal Farmers' Market promises to be an event of unrivaled experiences.

Browse, shop, meet the farmer's and learn about their products;Take home produce from across the islands to enjoy in your own home; Indulge in a Brunch Buffet of unparalleled quality and freshness.

Executive Chef Hans Stierli, brainchild of this authentic Hawaiian experience, will be preparing a brunch buffet under the swaying palms of The Royal's Coconut Grove. The brunch will feature the farmers' produce in an exotic buffet assortment of hot and cold stations, pancakes, smoothies, fresh seafood, desserts and much more.
This sounds great to me, I'll keep the 3rd Sunday in mind when booking future stays. (And now I'm craving tropical fruit!)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:55 am

Too bad they didn't go for the 420 mile radius.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.