Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon [Master Thread]

Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon [Master Thread]

Old Nov 19, 07, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Arrow Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon [Master Thread]

I may be heading to YXE next week, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experiences with the Sheraton there?

I ran a search, but the most recent info is from 1+ year ago.

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 07, 11:25 am

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
Hey UAL-I stayed at the Sheraton Cavalier back in June '07, didn't spend all that much time in the room, but I did get an upgrade to a larger room as a platinum if you've got status. It's a bit of a pain to get to with one way streets so check your directions on the way in. Rooms were clean and modern, price was great-I think I paid $109. Good area of town as well, right on the river. A second option is the Delta Bessborough, pretty much across the street-also a nice hotel. Any other questions let me know.....
Old Sep 24, 08, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon

I have a stay planned at this property in November, and there doesn't seem to be a master thread on this hotel. The photos on the SPG website look like it is a very nice Sheraton, indeed. Anyone have any experience(s) staying there that they can relate?
Old Sep 24, 08, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
The descriptions from wikipedia hasn't discouraged you?
Old Sep 24, 08, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
The descriptions from wikipedia hasn't discouraged you?
I'll just stay inside the Hotel. Saskatoon is starting to sound like the Gary, IN of Canada, if you take Wikipedia at face value. Also, given that the average high temp. in Late Nov./Early Dec. is about 18F, I probably won't be going out for many strolls.
Old Sep 24, 08, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, MR LTT, IHG Gold, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter View Post
I'll just stay inside the Hotel. Saskatoon is starting to sound like the Gary, IN of Canada, if you take Wikipedia at face value. Also, given that the average high temp. in Late Nov./Early Dec. is about 18F, I probably won't be going out for many strolls.
It's a nice hotel and they do try to upgrade Plats, even when busy. The food options are excellent within the hotel and there are several excellent choices (including a superb pub) within steps of the hotel. The fitness facilities are a little 'blah' and some of the floors could use an upgrade in decor, though you'll like it overall.

Saskatoon is nothing at all like Gary, though it certainly does have some rough areas north of downtown. For one thing, Saskatoon is enjoying a major resource-based boom at the moment, which has lifted the whole city. From my pained recollections of my last visit, Gary hasn't boomed in any noticeable way since the 1920s.

The hotel itself is near several of the major bridges and trail systems, making for some great (and safe) walks or runs. I stay in the area often and can assure you that there is nothing to worry about that you wouldn't see in any city of 200,000 or so.

Early December...hmmm...well, hey, it's a dry cold! Yeah, that's it...
Old Sep 24, 08, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unclepants View Post
It's a nice hotel and they do try to upgrade Plats, even when busy. The food options are excellent within the hotel and there are several excellent choices (including a superb pub) within steps of the hotel. The fitness facilities are a little 'blah' and some of the floors could use an upgrade in decor, though you'll like it overall.

Saskatoon is nothing at all like Gary, though it certainly does have some rough areas north of downtown. For one thing, Saskatoon is enjoying a major resource-based boom at the moment, which has lifted the whole city. From my pained recollections of my last visit, Gary hasn't boomed in any noticeable way since the 1920s.

The hotel itself is near several of the major bridges and trail systems, making for some great (and safe) walks or runs. I stay in the area often and can assure you that there is nothing to worry about that you wouldn't see in any city of 200,000 or so.

Early December...hmmm...well, hey, it's a dry cold! Yeah, that's it...
Thank you very much for the information. ^

I will do my best to post a photo report when I return (just as I have been meaning to do so with recent stays at the Westin Arabella Quays Cape Town, Le Meridien Gallia Milan, Sheraton FLL Airport, Sheraton South Padre Island, 4P Fort Walton Beach, and Sheraton Cable Beach Nassau... if I could ever get some free time).
Old Sep 24, 08, 9:52 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Sorry I found the upgrade thread laughable...

...i stay at this property 4-5 times /yr and am writing this post from the hotel...upgrades are almost laughable...this hotel is constantly sold out...there is always some kind of conference taking place (mostly native) so the place is full all the time. Nice location on the river but hardly a great property...I am waiting for the 4 pts to open in 2009.
Old Sep 27, 08, 4:51 pm

Dido

I have stayed at this property umteen times over the past two years......The place used to be an apartment building (years ago ) actually one is still attached to it. They need to do some major upgrades to the rooms, especially when you take a close look. I have been upgraded a few times to a club room and a couple of their " executive suites" which are simply a laugh. I deny them and just ask for a club room please as they are nicer. I have been told for two years that they are remodelling.........it has not happened. Oh sorry....yes they did put in new t.v.'s. That's it !! Most of the time they don't acknowledge your status or tell you anything else. I always have to ask if there is any upgrades available - normal response " No, sorry we are sold out". But unfortunately as the usual saying we are sucker for points and this is the only SPG property in Stoon. BUT........BUT........there is a FOUR POINTS opening up, I believe in 2009. If in fact it is a decent property in a decent location.......this existing Sheraton is going to lose alot of it's SPG clients............I for one will be included in that !
Old Sep 28, 08, 3:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Recent stay

Was here on Thursday last week...
Hotel was sold out that day, along with every other hotel in the city.
As a Gold, and arriving late, I was "upgraded" from a Queen&Sofa room to a King room on the second floor - across from the elevator.
The room was fine and had a nice view onto the riverbank, but I'd hardly call it an upgrade. However, it was clean, recently renovated with some microsuede furniture and a 36" LCD tv.

The Cav is in a great area of Saskatoon - especially at this time of year with the foliage - and away from the scummy parts in the North End, off of Idylwyld Drive.

As mentioned already, they have great dining options including a steakhouse and trendy (for Saskatoon) lounge onsite, the 612. The lounge is now featuring food from Carver's steakhouse, and no longer has its old menu, as of 3 weeks ago.

It's a busy hotel, and attracts many business travellers and convention attendees, but does the trick when you have to be in YXE.
Old Jan 5, 09, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought I would post some photos from my stay at this property in late November. I received an upgrade from a Standard to a Club Floor room. The room was fairly standard modern Sheraton fare, which met my expectations (not bad, not stellar, but good). My room had a view of the South Saskatchewan River and University Bridge. I never took advantage of Breakfast in the Club Lounge whilst there, but found room service to be pretty good. There is not a whole lot to do in Saskatoon, which worked out perfectly for my purposes (preparing for exams over Thanksgiving weekend). However, I don't think I would select it as a true vacation destination. Below are some photos I managed to take of the property:

The Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon

Club Room Bed

Club Room Work Area

The Now Ubiquitous SPG LG Flatscreen

Standard Sheraton Tub/Shower Combo

The Club Lounge - In Need of Renovation (And it Smells Weird)

In all, it was a fairly standard stay at a Sheraton property. I felt I got decent value for the rate I paid. However, it's not exactly a top-tier SPG property, IMO.
Old Jan 12, 09, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Booked a regular room and was upgraded to a beautiful Corner Suite. Overlooked the Delta Bessbourough and the skaing rink.

This was a Saturday night stay.

I didnt get offered a platinum ammentity, and forgot to ask about it. Should I be following up with customer service to recieve this, or contact the hotel directly?
Old Jan 12, 09, 3:55 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
I didnt get offered a platinum ammentity, and forgot to ask about it. Should I be following up with customer service to recieve this, or contact the hotel directly?
Call Customer Service. I think you have to wait a week after you check out. They then request it from the hotel, who is allowed a few days to give the points. I generally see the points added in 1 or 2 days.
Old Jan 12, 09, 4:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Call Customer Service. I think you have to wait a week after you check out. They then request it from the hotel, who is allowed a few days to give the points. I generally see the points added in 1 or 2 days.
Actually, if the hotel fails to do this at check-in/check-out, we take the follow-up out of their hands. The Customer Contact Center associates simply add a call comment code to your account, which generates a report that is picked up the next business day by Program Services and applied to your account.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 9, 12, 10:16 am

Just thought I'd post some updated thoughts on this property. The rooms are clean, but the Executive Lounge is temporarily relocated because of renovations. The heaters are awful - during both stays I had this year, the heater was broken. The first room turned off after 1 hour and had to be manually restarted - the second room was "stuck on" - it was 30C.

Room service is so-so, and the fitness centre is only half-working. The pool area looks nice, but I haven't used it.

Heat is important in Saskatoon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: