Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near London Heathrow Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobOnLI
The free bus zone at LHR was ended in 2021. All buses charge a local fare now which is still half off the usual Hoppa rate (or more). Take bus 105, 111 or 140 down Bath Road to get to most Marriott properties at LHR.

https://www.heathrow.com/content/dam...d_Heathrow.pdf
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near London Heathrow Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Hey everyone. On the way back to the United States from our two week trip to Europe, my wife and I have an overnight layover. We are arriving in LHR at 5:15pm and depart the next morning at 9:30am.

Our thought is to clear customs, pick up our luggage and then check into the Renaissance LHR hotel. After a quick change of clothes we would like to head into the city for dinner taking the train and then back that night to the hotel to crash.

I have booked the LHR Renaissance but now after reading the horrible reviews on TripAdvisor it is starting to scare me off. Can any of you give me suggestions on which hotel would best suit our needs for the night? Here are a few stipulations:
  • Category 4 or 5 would be great as I have plenty of certificates
  • Ease of public transportation as we would like to train it to dinner and back
  • Should we get our luggage on an overnight connection...or should we leave it checked all the way to destination and just carry on what we need for the night?
  • Leaving early in the morning, so lounge access, etc is not that important
  • Top priority is cleanliness, easy access, and availability potentially using my certificates or even MR points.
I had 2 stays at the LHR Renaissance recently and both times were fine. The hotel is a bit dated and not as nice as a lot of the other Rensaissances these days, but the front desk staff was decent and the lounge had a good selection last time as well. I'd check your luggage to your final destination and not worry about dragging bags back and forth.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Either the Ren or the Marriott is fine. I have a personal pref for the Ren, having stayed there many times.

You have 2 options into London - either take the Picadilly Line into the city or take the Heathrow Express/Heathrow Connect to Paddington & then tube or cab to wherever you're going for dinner.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Either the Ren or the Marriott is fine. I have a personal pref for the Ren, having stayed there many times.

You have 2 options into London - either take the Picadilly Line into the city or take the Heathrow Express/Heathrow Connect to Paddington & then tube or cab to wherever you're going for dinner.

Cheers.
Is it correct that neither the Ren or Marriott have a shuttle to and from the airport? I've never stayed at either property usually stay in the city but I have an upcoming trip which will require a 1 night stay close to the airport and was wondering what type of transportation is available to and from Heathrow.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc
Is it correct that neither the Ren or Marriott have a shuttle to and from the airport? I've never stayed at either property usually stay in the city but I have an upcoming trip which will require a 1 night stay close to the airport and was wondering what type of transportation is available to and from Heathrow.
There is the paid Hoppa, but I'd hit you with an expired RCC drink chit if you took it.

Take the free bus that runs along Bath Road from LHR. I think Ren is the 2nd or 3rd stop & Marriott is the 3rd or 4th. Go the central bus station at LHR, I think stands 19-21 & look for bus # 105, 140, 185 (those 3 come to mind). You'll be to hotel in 5 minutes.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sharon, we have an extended overnight connection at LHR, arriving at 6:30pm and departing the next day at 12. Would you head into town on the HEX to stay at GH or GS, or simply relax at the Airport Ren?

Not sure if it is really worth the effort as we will have morning access to the T-5 BA lounges, but it would be nice to get a decent dinner. How is the food at the Ren?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:49 am

I stayed at the Ren Heathrow early last spring. It was still quite cold out. The hotel DID NOT have the heat on for the guest rooms. We were forced to call the front desk and complain, in which case they sent a PLUG IN SPACE HEATER to our room. In the morning, we saw many of these space heaters in the hallway.

This at a Ren. Don't think I'll go back to this one.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Sharon, we have an extended overnight connection at LHR, arriving at 6:30pm and departing the next day at 12. Would you head into town on the HEX to stay at GH or GS, or simply relax at the Airport Ren?

Not sure if it is really worth the effort as we will have morning access to the T-5 BA lounges, but it would be nice to get a decent dinner. How is the food at the Ren?
I've done that a few times with no problem with your time wiindow, and a stay at the GH is certainly a nice option. I have also done a variation: check in at the Ren or Marriott, clean up and change clothes, catch the bus, then head downtown for 3-4 hrs then grab another HEX back in time to get the bus home. They run all night so even if you get the last run on the HEX you'll be able to get home.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...901&r=105&t=tt

You have 4 bus runs compared to 2 cabs to/from the GH, but if it's a factor -you save a ton on the room and can splurge a bit more for dinner or shopping with the difference.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:16 pm

My first inclination would be to head into the city & stay at GH because you could have a nice room, good meal, and nice place for drink, plus time for brekkie before heading out to LHR the next morning. Having said that, GH/HEX is more pricey than Ren, so part of it is dependent upon your budget.

I know AATrout suggested checking into Ren & then heading into the city for dinner & back out that night, but given you don't arrive until 6:30pm, clear immigration, then get over to the Ren, then into the city & back out the same night, that's a bit of a pain/lot of travel in one night. I would either head into the city or stay at Ren, but not mix up both given your arrival time.

Re: Ren. I've not actually eaten dinner in the restaurant, so can't address that. I'm assuming it's ok. Last time I was at the Ren they had some robust offerings in the exec lounge & I think it went a bit late for food, so you might be able to grab a bite to eat in the exec lounge (or go to the restaurant). I think the wine/beer goes until about 10pm, and it is nice to have a glass of wine & watch the runway/planes taking off & landing in the lounge. There's also a pub about a 10minute walk from the Ren that FTers have visited.

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
At the end of the day, the Ren is a very basic airport hotel with nothing special to recommend it apart from a great view of the runway.

If you have the time and money headi into London. Enjoy either the steakhouse at GH or Maze / Maze Grill at GS. Infinitely better than the import Ren.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My first inclination would be to head into the city & stay at GH because you could have a nice room, good meal, and nice place for drink, plus time for brekkie before heading out to LHR the next morning. Having said that, GH/HEX is more pricey than Ren, so part of it is dependent upon your budget.

I know AATrout suggested checking into Ren & then heading into the city for dinner & back out that night, but given you don't arrive until 6:30pm, clear immigration, then get over to the Ren, then into the city & back out the same night, that's a bit of a pain/lot of travel in one night. I would either head into the city or stay at Ren, but not mix up both given your arrival time.

Re: Ren. I've not actually eaten dinner in the restaurant, so can't address that. I'm assuming it's ok. Last time I was at the Ren they had some robust offerings in the exec lounge & I think it went a bit late for food, so you might be able to grab a bite to eat in the exec lounge (or go to the restaurant). I think the wine/beer goes until about 10pm, and it is nice to have a glass of wine & watch the runway/planes taking off & landing in the lounge. There's also a pub about a 10minute walk from the Ren that FTers have visited.

Cheers.
Yes my first inclination was to head into London for a nice meal, but not sure if it will be worth the effort by the time we get done with immigration, etc. Maybe better just to relax near the airport and visit the pub. That being said, HEX plus taxi is maybe 1/2 hour v. how long to get from LHR to the Ren?

Originally Posted by thegoderic
If you have the time and money headi into London. Enjoy either the steakhouse at GH or Maze / Maze Grill at GS. Infinitely better than the import Ren.
I like the Maze too. Just not sure I want to schlep all the way into town when we have to head back @ 9am. Maybe I will try to get an earlier flight connection into LHR so as to have more time in the city. I do visit London on business occasionally so no big deal to miss a night in the city.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:13 pm

That being said, HEX plus taxi is maybe 1/2 hour v. how long to get from LHR to the Ren?
5 minute bus ride, so depends on how often the buses are running at the time you get there. Also, the bus is free versus the HEX (20 pounds was it?) plus cab.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
The cool thing about either the LHR Ren or Marriott is that there are very few major international airports with an array of local dining (pubs) a few minutes walk from either hotel, which itself is like a 5 min bus ride. A few blocks W of the Ren is the 3 Magpies, an excellent pub, but turn right (N) a few blocks to King William IV a truly eclectic local pub with friendly locals and excellent bar fare. Really hard to find places like these that you can walk to from major airport hotels anywhere.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:26 am

Here's an older thread re: pubs & restaurants that are near the Ren & the Marriott.

Pubs & Restaurants around LHR Marriott & REN

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Has anyone posted the REN at Heathrow Airport? This propert is in dire need of an upgrade......a real flashback when you stay here.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
yes, over 20+ reviews............
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...w-airport.html

Originally Posted by randidliyo
Has anyone posted the REN at Heathrow Airport? This propert is in dire need of an upgrade......a real flashback when you stay here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.