Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:13 am

Your room was located on the wrong side of the floor. The one on the other side are all very large and have a nice and large sofa !

Very load airconditioning units, though !
Old Oct 13, 2003, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must also add to the Chancery Court list.
Theresa,on the concierge level,is the best concierge I have met to date.
Proximity to High Holborn tube,short walk to Covington Garden and theater,mke this an easy choice for me.
The hotel is really quite nice.(look for the marble staircase)
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Chancery Court, for certain!
Can't go wrong, and try the flavored vodkas at the bar.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond (x2), IHG Platinum
Marriott County Hall was absolutly fabulous during my vaction this year!! Book a reward double queen, was upgraded at checkin to a 2 room suite for free.

Look directly out my window at the Millinium Eye (20 feet away), Parliment just across the river, right beside the Westminster Bridge. Great location and great staff!!

Old Oct 18, 2003, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
London Marriott Grosvenor Square

Just back from London, and had a great stay at the Marriott Grosvenor Square - probably the best value for the money I've experienced in several years. Our 2 queen bed room on the 1st (NS) floor was spacious, recently renovated and very clean with very high ceilings, overlooking Grosvenor Square. Wonderful beds, powerful shower, excellent breakfast included in the rate. All of the service was wonderful, friendly etc (my friend called it the "Getting to Yes" hotel). Location was great - very quiet, leafy upscale neighbourhood, about a 3 minute walk to the Oxford St and the Bond St tube (and, therefore, about 25 minutes by tube to the City and Canary Wharf).
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've stayed there for years & quite enjoy it. Pricy but great location and service, & w/ the new renovations quite nice.

------------------
Sharon
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:59 am

My wife and I stayed at this property and although it was confortable, we found it overpriced. Our room as well overlooked Grosvenor Square, and the afternoon tea is perhaps the best in London. The hotel is relatively small, but the location is ideal.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 2:16 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zakami:
In my opinion its the Renaissance Chancery Court.</font>
Another Chancery Court enthusiast here!

Have heard a lot of good about Marriott Park Lane though, has anyone stayed at both?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by acysb87:
Must also add to the Chancery Court list.
Theresa,on the concierge level,is the best concierge I have met to date.
Proximity to High Holborn tube,short walk to Covington Garden and theater,mke this an easy choice for me.
The hotel is really quite nice.(look for the marble staircase)
</font>
It's all good!

And I loved the 2 types of smoked salmon in the lounge breakfast, the cheeses midafternoon, the canapes at coctail hour and the deserts after that. Some of the best lounge snacks I've had.

As an example of how good the service is, I was upgraded to a suite but there wasn't a door between the two rooms. An issue for me, because I like to watch foreign late night TV while my wife goes to sleep early. They got me a set of headphones with an extension cord so I could listen to the TV without disturbing my wife (no charge!).

Great, great hotel.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Marriott to Operate Grosvenor House in London and Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin

Woo Hoo!

These are supposed to be two incredible properties, and I read that Fairmount wanted both of them!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

MARRIOTT TO OPERATE GROSVENOR HOUSE IN LONDON AND SHELBOURNE HOTEL IN DUBLIN

Tom Marder
(301) 380-2553
[email protected]

WASHINGTON, D.C., December 4, 2003 – Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE:MAR) announced today that Marriott will operate the Grosvenor House hotel in London’s Mayfair district and the Shelbourne hotel on St. Stephen's Green in Dublin, beginning Jan. 31, 2004. Prior to that time Le Meridien will continue to run the hotels under a short-term transitional arrangement.

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc (RBS), the owner of the two hotels, plans to complete substantial renovations and improvements to both over the next few years, including guest rooms, public areas and infrastructure. Following the renovations and improvements, the Grosvenor House will become a 498-room JW Marriott hotel and the Shelbourne a 276-room Renaissance hotel. Marriott will operate both hotels under long-term leases. No other terms of the agreements were disclosed.

James M. Sullivan, Marriott International’s executive vice president - lodging development, said, “We are delighted to conclude an agreement that will bring two legendary properties and prime conference space into the Marriott International system, in two of the most coveted and prestigious locations in Europe.”
</font>

http://www.marriottnewsroom.com/Main...sion=&region=1

[This message has been edited by NJUPINTHEAIR (edited Dec 04, 2003).]
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:23 pm

I vote for Marriott Park Lane...probably largest room in London and an amazing Hotel. Plus it is almost brand new.

Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Just got back from Marriott 47 Park Street and it was great too! I'll post a more detailed report under the ongoing topic heading for that property in the next few days. Also can confirm, as posted by NJUPINTHEAIR here, that The Grosvenor House takeover from semi-bankrupt Le Meridien is being talked up in London. Sounds like this will be another jewel in Marriott's crown of properties in the central city.

Edited to fix link.

[This message has been edited by yyzflyer (edited Dec 04, 2003).]
Old Dec 5, 2003, 8:34 pm

The Marriott folks we talked to in London were quite excited about this (The Grosvenor specifically). The property is only a couple of blocks from where we stayed at Marriott 47 Park, so we walked over to have a look. The hotel looks very upscale, with lots of expensive cars in the parking lot. Have to wonder what kind of award will be required to stay here.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 7:44 am

47 Park Street - Grand Residences by Marriott

47 Park Street Mayfair London, GB W1K 7EB

47 Park Street - Grand Residences by Marriott (0 Photo)

Just returned from an award stay at 47 Park Street. The two best features of this property are its location and the very large rooms. The purpose of our trip was Christmas shopping (in addition to accumulating airline miles) and the location did not disappoint. A short 4-block walk took us to all Oxford Street has to offer. Literally dozens of small boutiques and cafes are scattered along the sidestreets enroute. Harrod's and Picadilly are also walkable - we did both, even in the rain. It is predominantly a classy residential area reminiscent of the Sherlock Holmes era or so many British movies, but the nearby US embassy with adjacent closed streets and high security reminds one of grimmer realities.

Room

I was unable to secure an upgrade to adeluxeone-bedroom unit, however thestandard roomwas ample for a family of three. Only an oven is lacking from the fully-equipped kitchen. This, coupled with the large dining area, makes it easy to have friends over for a "home-cooked" meal. The appliances are all top-drawer, ranging from the all-Sony electronics (including two flat-screen televisions) to the Siemens-Porsche kettle, which a London friend tells me is worth a few . (I forgot to show him the matching toaster.) Among the nearby shops are a Tesco, Marks & Spencer and even a small English butcher shop, making ensuite meal preparation a real option.

Service

We were naturally suspicious when an invitation to the Manager's reception arrived on our second day. This is a timeshare after all, and we assumed that the champagne and hors d'ouevres were simply the lure to get us to the presentation. While our son munched on a room-service burger and fries while watching DVDs from the hotel's lending library, we attended the friendly gathering of the hotel's "residents". My wife (a healthcare professional) found lots to talk about with a Chicago doctor, while I had a travel-related discussion with one of the hotel's management team who predated Marriott's ownership. The reception was friendly and well attended, filling the small lounge at the front of the building. Only once was the issue of ownership raised, and then only in a tasteful and matter-of-fact manner. All-in-all a delightful evening which we capped with dinner at a nearby Italian restaurant recommended by several at the reception.

The only minor shortcoming was the reluctance of housekeeping to replenish soap, shampoo, and even toilet paper during our stay. Each of these was quickly resolved with a call, however should not happen at a property of this calibre.

Overall

Since the focus here is points and miles, I should mention that this property is an excellent value when compared to the other Marriotts in London. The fact that it is 1000 points a night less than most would make it a FlyerTalk must in London. We will definitely stay here again.

Would you like to write a review on the 47 Park Street - Grand Residences by Marriott?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to my stay in February. Of course since I don't cook, some of the kitchen stuff will be wasted on me, but nice to have a fridge to store some take-out from Selfridge's or Harrod's or some bkfst items. And I like the idea of space, DVDs, and less points than the nearby Grosvenor Marriott. And good to know about 4 nights, although I'm normally there for 3. And the location is fab.

------------------
Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.