Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:55 am

Thanks again for the replies.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Black Cabs

Just stayed last week at the GOV SQ, we had two rooms and two arrivals, both after 8PM, we both took cabs, 2 people and then 3 people, both were 62 GBP. I think you can't beat this, and we were at the front desk approx. 65 mins from touchdown at LHR.
Does anyone else not like the new rooms at this hotel, I've stayed there many times over the years, but it seems cold and unwelcoming with the new accomadations.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfred
PS Grosvenor Square is my favorite
Mine also! This is a lovely hotel with a great location.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
If you check out my post in the UK/Ireland forum I was advised of some private airport trasfer services which were about the same as 2 pax using HEX and cab combo.
I was going to do this-until I was told the Picadilly line stops 3 blocks from our hotel(Grosvenor House-which I know is a different property from Grosvenor Square)and we could save 40 gbd- by just taking the tube and walking 3 blocks.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jun 22, 2009 at 4:31 pm
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
If you check out my post in the UK/Ireland forum I was advised of some private airport trasfer services which were about the same as 2 pax using HEX and cab combo.
I was going to do this-until I was told the Picadilly line stops 3 blocks from our hotel(Grosvenor House)and we could save 40 gbd- by just taking the tube and walking 3 blocks.
The main advantage of the HEX/taxi combination is that depending on the time of day, you can save a serious amount of time as compared to a private car service or a black cab from Heathrow. The tube is fine if you don't mind the crowds, you don't mind the transfer, and you don't have too much baggage. Also- I think the OP is staying at the Grovesnor Square, which is a bit of a walk from Grovesnor House.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
We are very lucky as our arrival/departure time is a "reverse"of the commute-we arrive LHR midday and head back before the a.m. commute.Have been told there are staris at Hyde Park Corner tube stop(20 max)but nothing 2 healthy guys can't handle.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
A Viable Alternative: Dot 2 Dot

Far less expensive than a black cab and comparable to cost to the HEX is the Dot 2 Dot service of shared luxury vans. Regular one way fare is about £19, with discount available for a round trip.

The main advantage over the HEX is that you are transported from the LHR terminal door directly to the door of your hotel - you do not have to schlepp bags up and down staircases, look for lifts, or walk from a station to the hotel in the rain, etc.

Recommended:

http://www.dot2.com/
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by cwm143
Does anyone else not like the new rooms at this hotel, I've stayed there many times over the years, but it seems cold and unwelcoming with the new accomadations.
I don't actually have a problem with the new decor, but I do prefer the way it was before the makeover. Definitely was more comfortable and welcoming before. New look seems more sterile. As nearly as I can determine someone at the hotel or at Marriott thinks that this is somehow more contemporary....or more in line with the "hip" image they seem to want to project with Gordon Ramsay's "Maze" on site.

I did, however, like the new TV as well as the Klipsch iPod dock/speakers that were in the room (Exec King). Still my favorite London location.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Quick note as I'm really not online much until I move into my new place in a couple of weeks. As long as we're talking transportation (and now that the exchange rate is climbing). I used to do the HEX/cab combo, but now do the Heathrow Connect/cab combo. HCon is 1/2 the price of HEX & only takes 10 minutes longer. Something to consider anyway. Cheers.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: VA Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, PC Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Grosvenor House Trip Reports

Hi,

Just checked out from a one night redepmtion stay at GH - our first stay.

We wanted to stay close to Hyde Park for the Neil Young concert.

We checked in around 1.30 having queued for around 10 minutes, and our room was not available, but we were given keys to the lounge where we could wait for our room. I also chose my Platinum welcome gift of White wine and canapes.

The room still wasn't ready when we wnated to leave for the park around 14.10, so we left our bags with the concierge.

After the show, we returned to the hotel looking forward to the wine and canapes. We picked up the room key from the front desk, and my wife went to collect the bags from the concierge. She received a very surly response, and was asked to give the baggage tag to the front desk so they could send the bags to the room. We only had a couple of small bags and wanted to take them to the room ourselves, and when she asked again she was able to pick up the bags (reluctantly).

We got up to the room (very nice, room 651) separate large lounge area. But no wine and canapes. At this point we decided to head out to the local pub for a drink rather than pay the hotel prices. Upon our return, our key wouldn't work, so we had to return downstairs again. Still no welcome gift, so we retired for the night. We also found some vouchers for the BORD'EAUX resturant, which all expired at the end of April 2009.

Next morning, the key wouldn't work in the exec. lounge, so we knocked and we were let in. I then decided to ask for the $100 compensation for lack of welcome gift. The rep. in the lounge then asked what I had ordered and when they could deliver it - again, I stated that I wanted the $100 and not the gift.

Having settled down to breakfast, she then came over and asked the same question. No - I would still like the $100 thanks, and didn't really require wine and canapes for breakfast.

We then returned to our room, and recieved a call from the lounge rep. stating that when we check out, the recompense would be waiting for me with guest services. Upon checking out (only a 5 moinute wait this time) I was then offered £50 which I accepted (although this is SERIOUS exchange rate management!). I also handed the guest services rep. the out of date vouchers and pointed out the expiry dates.

Overall, I would probably stay there again due to location and the excellent rooms, and put some of these issues down to bad luck. However, I did feel that there was a lack of care for certain details within the hotel, and it's precisely these details that you would expect to be present in a 5* property.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Wow.

I personally would've overlooked one of two of these, and chalked them up to bad luck, human error, or whatever. But this was a whole chain of events, and there's definitely a point where "enough is enough".

IMHO, you were absolutely in the right with the stand you took in the matter. They had enough chances to "get it right".
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Just completed a 6 day stay at the GH starting on 13th July. We were in London to see Britney Spears and decided to make a mini break of it.

This was our 3rd stay at the property and I would say our least impressive. The hotel itself and rooms were great but the service slightly lacking.

We were told on check-in that we had been upgraded to a superior room, which was nice but not as large as our other 2 previous 'superior rooms'. Have never had a park view or even a partial park view. Had requested a room on the concierge level (seven) but were allocated to foor three. (No big deal). As we were staying for almost a week I had emailed the concierge ahead of the sat and requested a mini-fridge. Got a response saying this would be no problem. However, on arrival no fridge and after another 2-3 days of asking I was eventually told there was none available. Again not too much of an issue but would have been more professional if I was told initially that this was not possible.

As per the previous poster, had problems with the electronic keys that necessitated several trips to receiption.

Lounge was always well stocked and the always a nice haven to visit after a long day. However, it is always very busy for breakfast (particualrly Thursdays and Fridays).

Concierge services were poor, I enquired about tickets for the cricket (which was playing that week) and was pretty much dismissed. We are quite a young couple and were dressed casually (not scruffy though). It seemed he was more interested in suited and seemingly more wealthy customers!! His loss. In my experience a good concierge can make these sorts of requests happen.

Finally, our morning newspapaer only arrived on 3 of the 6 days.

Overall we had a great trip and its a fabulous hotel. We like the location and the rooms. Some small gripes with the service which on there own I would overlook. However, cumulatively it left me feeling they fell just short of the mark this time.

If you are visiting this week have a good trip, more amazing weather in store!
Phil
Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Hi All. I started this thread back on June 10 asking for your recommendations on which Marriott to stay at in London, using my points. I don't know about you, but I hate it when somebody starts a thread asking for advice and then we never find out what the OP did. Well, I didn't want to be that guy.

We decided to use my points and stay at the London Marriott County Hall on Westminster Bridge Road. This is my first time in London and based on many of your comments as well as my own research, this sounded like a good central location and one from which to take day trips, such as to York and Stratford-on-Avon. Thank you all for all your feedback and recommendations and insights. I give all who responded a big thumbs up from the wife and I. ^
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta SM
I was bummed to read on a Tripadvisor review that children are not allowed in the County Hall pool after 7 pm. I'll have to time my kids' workouts appropriately. One of the reasons we are staying there is so they can get in a couple of workouts in the 25 meter pool as they are competetive swimmers and I don't like them to go too long without a workout. It's not like they'd be causing a ruckes, just swimming laps with me trailing pathetically behind.
We were bummed as well when we got there last November and found this to be true. However, the pool at this hotel is part of a technically "separate" health club and has a completely different atmosphere about it. When I took my daughter up the first evening around 6 pm, it was full of professionals doing laps and not her cup of tea at all. From that point on, we adjusted our schedules a little and did some touring, back to the hotel for lunch and a swim (when she could enjoy the pool), and then out for shows, dinner or more tours, etc.

One other note....this pool was REALLY cold. The huge hot tub in the locker room, though, was fabulous!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tonypct
Hi All. I started this thread back on June 10 asking for your recommendations on which Marriott to stay at in London, using my points. I don't know about you, but I hate it when somebody starts a thread asking for advice and then we never find out what the OP did. Well, I didn't want to be that guy.

We decided to use my points and stay at the London Marriott County Hall on Westminster Bridge Road. This is my first time in London and based on many of your comments as well as my own research, this sounded like a good central location and one from which to take day trips, such as to York and Stratford-on-Avon. Thank you all for all your feedback and recommendations and insights. I give all who responded a big thumbs up from the wife and I. ^
Cool! Thanks for the feedback - glad you enjoyed your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.