Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:20 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by cyberdad
No offense taken. As I indicated, but may have not made clear in my original post, given that you reserved a King/Queen....and had that in writing, then IMHO you indeed do have a legitimate complaint and are entitled to redress and compensation.
Here's what happened on the 2nd day. Told them I wanted to change the room as promised to me yesterday. They told me to wait. I came back after three hours (5pm) and they still couldnt arrange a room change. So I raised my voice and the whole lobby heard me (very very firm and loud, but with courtesy, no swearing) and threatened to speak to the GM and then they speeded up the act a bit, but failed to provide any redress for the first night. So yet again I raised my voice and threatened to place a block on my credit card payment, since I have taken pictures of the room, and its obvious not the same type. Then they realized and offered me upgrade to Junior suite as compensation, I accepted since I needed to rest.

From my experience, firstly if the hotel is full and they cannot offer the room class, its either a downgrade plus refund of the difference plus miles/freebies, or upgrade to a better class, or walk the client to another hotel, which is not a problem in London since there are so many Marriotts. The people at GH failed to do any of this and they hoped I would just settle in and forget about it.

Another incident is I wanted to have breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, Bordeaux, at 10:50 (the sign reads Daily Breakfast until 11:30pm) and they said sorry we are closed. Shows that management at this hotel is completely incompetent.

To summarize, I don't recommend GH. If you must stay here, beware of the room switcheroos.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:42 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8820: Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/724; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

My recent stay was just fine. I booked a priceline rate. Got upgraded to a executive room and club lounge access. Room was fine , a tad small but that's london.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ssw207
Here's what happened on the 2nd day. Told them I wanted to change the room as promised to me yesterday. They told me to wait. I came back after three hours (5pm) and they still couldnt arrange a room change. So I raised my voice and the whole lobby heard me (very very firm and loud, but with courtesy, no swearing) and threatened to speak to the GM and then they speeded up the act a bit, but failed to provide any redress for the first night. So yet again I raised my voice and threatened to place a block on my credit card payment, since I have taken pictures of the room, and its obvious not the same type. Then they realized and offered me upgrade to Junior suite as compensation, I accepted since I needed to rest.

From my experience, firstly if the hotel is full and they cannot offer the room class, its either a downgrade plus refund of the difference plus miles/freebies, or upgrade to a better class, or walk the client to another hotel, which is not a problem in London since there are so many Marriotts. The people at GH failed to do any of this and they hoped I would just settle in and forget about it.

Another incident is I wanted to have breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, Bordeaux, at 10:50 (the sign reads Daily Breakfast until 11:30pm) and they said sorry we are closed. Shows that management at this hotel is completely incompetent.

To summarize, I don't recommend GH. If you must stay here, beware of the room switcheroos.
I'd be interested to see pictures of this terrible room.

I often stay at GH when in London, and when I do, the rate to which I'm entitled to would generally suggest that I should get this dingy room that they assigned to you.... yet that hasn't happened on any of my trips.

So, I would love to see these pictures.

I'm not sure causing a scene in the lobby will get you any points though. I have learned in throughout my travels that being understanding and offering a smile gets me a LOT further than a sharp tongue and causing a scene. The front desk is your friend -- they control the keys to the room you are given.

Also, FWIW, I have noticed on the last couple reservations I've made at GH, small print has come up that says, "The type of room you have requested cannot be gaurenteed at this time, but we have noted your request."

Is it possible that you missed this fine print?

Hate to be labled as a GH apologist, but I have always had extremely positive experiences...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:06 pm
formerly ssw207

Originally Posted by WalruSara
I'd be interested to see pictures of this terrible room.

I often stay at GH when in London, and when I do, the rate to which I'm entitled to would generally suggest that I should get this dingy room that they assigned to you.... yet that hasn't happened on any of my trips.

So, I would love to see these pictures.

I'm not sure causing a scene in the lobby will get you any points though. I have learned in throughout my travels that being understanding and offering a smile gets me a LOT further than a sharp tongue and causing a scene. The front desk is your friend -- they control the keys to the room you are given.

Also, FWIW, I have noticed on the last couple reservations I've made at GH, small print has come up that says, "The type of room you have requested cannot be gaurenteed at this time, but we have noted your request."

Is it possible that you missed this fine print?

Hate to be labled as a GH apologist, but I have always had extremely positive experiences...
I hope its a one-timer thing for GH. I'm usually a Hyatt or SPG person due to corporate arrangements, so this is a return to the Marriott flag after 3 years, and the experience isnt helping it at all. I surely have the pictures, will post them when I get home.

I believe I'm a well-seasoned traveller (I'm currently on a oneworld RTW DONE3 trip and London was a stop) and have been through lots of hotels all over the world, so I'm pretty sure I'm well informed with the booking process and well-versed with the appropriate etiquette and interpersonal skills to deal with hotel staff. The hotel confirmation was a positive confirmation with room class "1King/1Queen/Two doubles" noted on all documents.

I have asked them nicely 3 seperate times and was willing to get relocated on the second day. They have failed over and over again to move me to a room which I was paid for, and basically wasted my time. At the end I had to raise my voice. Again, this was done in a firm, professional and polite manner, the voice-raising part is to protest to them my dissapointment, and I didn't make a scene worthy of getting videoed by a cellphone and posted on Youtube.

What I'm saying here is the Standard Operating Procedures for SPG and Hyatt is either refund the downgrade difference, or upgrade to the next best available room, and I dont think I'm asking for something really ridiculous. I was disappointed with GH that their staff lacked the competence to make this decision, after speaking with them 3 seperate times.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Shows that management at this hotel is completely incompetent.
The customer (guest) is not always right.

In Sharon's absence, I feel compelled to reply.

I have stayed at the GH 12 times, before, during and after the renovation. Every service operation has its breakdowns but at this property, they are quite rare. In fact, good service is systemic at the GH and it is delivered by a guest-centered staff lead by hands-on management who are very focused on the total guest experience.

Yes, the GH has some less favorable (read: small) rooms and I've stayed in a couple of them when the hotel was full. I've also stayed in a suite with a view of the park. Whenever possible, elites are trerated quite well.

I make no apologies for being a GH apologist. The property, the staff the lounge and all of the intangibles converted me a long time ago.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 10, 2009 at 11:26 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I had to raise my voice. Again, this was done in a firm, professional and polite manner, the voice-raising part is to protest to them my dissapointment, and I didn't make a scene worthy of getting videoed by a cellphone and posted on Youtube.
Very often in these types of situations, one's own characterization and critique lack balance and objectivity.

their staff lacked the competence to make this decision,
A very "firm, professional and polite" assessment.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:32 am
formerly ssw207

Originally Posted by dayone
Very often in these types of situations, one's own characterization and critique lack balance and objectivity.

A very "firm, professional and polite" assessment.
I'm not interested to start a flame war with anyone.

But let me tell you I have stayed with lots of Park Hyatts, Peninsulas, Mandarin Orientals, St Regis, Four Seasons etc. all over the world. So I think I know what I'm doing in such cases of a downgrade, and this had happened before. This time I've decided to try Marriott/GH and they didn't do as well as their competitors, and I'm pointing out in my report.

Since you have stayed there for 10+ times, I'm sure many of the staff may know you by first name basis and treat you like a royalty. But how about those who are staying here for the first time? This report is exactly what I experienced as a first time customer at GH. Isn't what trip reports are all about? I'm sure if JW Marriott Jr stays there himself he would get a much better treatment than anyone else on this board, but if he wrote a "trip report" about it, would you give much weight to it? This is why there are mystery shopping surveys in the service industry.

I was polite in the beginning but after asking three seperate times (nicely) over the course of 2 days, which is already past the halfway mark of my trip, they didn't do anything for something I have paid for and agreed in written contract, until I was dead serious about it.

Being nice (attitude) and being competent (actually gets the ball rolling) is two seperate matters. Would you mind if your banker is the sweetest person in the world, but he/she can't get anything done for you?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:27 pm

Any Marriott property in London

Can anyone suggest a nice, yet reasonable Marriott property in London? I stayed at the Intercontinental last year and I will admit it was very nice and in a great location, right next to Hyde Park. I looked at the Marriott website and the Govesnor Square (spelling?) hotel looks great, has anyone stayed there?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by Mykull
Can anyone suggest a nice, yet reasonable Marriott property in London? I stayed at the Intercontinental last year and I will admit it was very nice and in a great location, right next to Hyde Park. I looked at the Marriott website and the Govesnor Square (spelling?) hotel looks great, has anyone stayed there?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=6554

Welcome to Flyertalk
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:41 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Here are a few more that might be of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ndia-quay.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...reccomend.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...el-advice.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ourt-cash.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-marriott.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ty-london.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...done-both.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...or-square.html
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
Can't vouch for the others on the list, but I stayed at Grosvenor's over Christmas, and loved it.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
I stayed at the Grovesnor a couple of years ago and liked it. I stayed in Kensington a couple of months ago and liked the hotel better, but it was not as convenient to most attractions.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
1st time JW Gros. House, London

Happy to finally visit this hotel! Managed to get a good deal via elite 3 for 2 offer...£190 per night...

I'm gold elite...apart from access to the lounge, are there any other benefits likely (such as a room upgrade? booked in deluxe room).

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
There is an exhaustive thread on the Grosvenor house EGW1-tons of info.Please do a search before posting.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ight=grosvenor
Old May 14, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Re Grosvenor House Internet Access:
I have a weeklong stay booked shortly. I called hotels and internet access in guest room is 20 pounds/day, 120 pounds/week. Does anyone know of any other service I can use to receive internet in my room? I checked Boingo, ATT Premier, and T-mobile hotspots but I don't see this property listed. Didn't check ipass as they no longer offer month-month service. Any other ideas where I would not have to subscribe to a yearly plan, just daily or monthly?

I understand there is free internet in the concierge lounge but I prefer to use internet in my own room.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.