Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Grosvenor Square vs Park Lane Marriott London - Comparison by folk who have done both

I normally stay at the Grosvenor Square Marriott in Mayfair. Some posts recently have said Park Lane Marriott in Mayfair is good.

My ? - has anyone stayed at BOTH? How do they compare? I have a trip to UK in Feb (well, one before then but not staying at either) & have booked the GSM (it's a tradition), but looking for feedback/should I change?

Not looking for I like one or the other but specific comparisons. But if you are going to do one or the other, be specific on what you liked/disliked about either. Don't be generic.

------------------
Sharon
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:41 am

I stayed at the hotel for the last couple of days and just came back. Overall - it was great experience and they have nice MR Platinum member recognition.

Reservation/Room Type: Since I was traveling with my friend, I requested 2 bed room. Our room was upgraded to Executive Floor and was pre-blocked for early check-in (11AM). The room had a nice parkview. The comfy bed was awesome and we loved the room color/design. Thanks to the double windows, we did not hear any traffic noise from Park Lane at all.

Executive Lounge: Open for continental breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening cocktail hours (decent snacks). By paying only 3 British Pounds, you can upgrade to full English breakfast at the hotel restaurant (140 Park Lane).

Staff members: Very friendly and professional! They remember your last name once you meet and make you feel like staying at some nice boutique hotel. The chief concierge got us popular theater tickets of Friday night on the same day (great seats!) with no problem.

Fitness room (next to the swimming pool): Not huge, but they have decent stuff. Not to mention, all the equipments are brand-new since the hotel is only 8 months old.

Location: As previous posters posted, Marble Arch stn is right there and Hyde Park is also across the street. There are a lot of nice stores/restaurants, etc within walking distance in May Fair.

I stayed 3 nights - 1st night with 140GBP paid, 2nd night with MR Platinum cert (stay 2 weekend nights, pay one night), and 3rd night with MR award cert. I would definitely stay again next summer - part of my annual visit.

[This message has been edited by FlyMan (edited 08-05-2003).]
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:40 pm

Which rate code did you use ?

140 GBP incl. taxes is not bad.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:53 pm

No, the 140GBP did not include tax. But still I thought that was a good rate (considering the upgrade to Executive Floor).
Old Aug 7, 2003, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA MM
I own a 2 br there, so maybe I can provide some information.

I don't think there could be any guest rooms - it has been renovated so that there are only 1 & 2 br units. But some are bigger than others, so I guess it's the luck of the draw as to the size you get. It's still functioning as a hotel, until the sale of all the units is complete.

The decorating is awful. They must have fired the firm that came up with the original design scheme and replaced it with a friend or relative of someone. But management is aware of this and claims to be planning to do something about it.

The restaurant - Le Gavroche - is separately owned but there is access to it through the lobby. It's one of the best in London.

The concierges, Peter and Hayden, are outstanding.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Any comments?
Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Marble Arch London. Any recent stays? Comments please.

I am considering this Hotel in early October using points. Silver MR level. Any comments appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:28 am

I'm assuming you did a search & didn't find anything?

I was there in February. It's ok; basic business hotel. Ironically enough, the Marriott Park Lane is closer to the Marble Arch tube stop than the Marble Arch Marriott. MAM is about a 5-10 minute walk to the tube. Solid 10 minutes to Selfridge's etc on Oxford street.

Somewhat small lobby. Had to wait to check in for room (and this wasn't an early morning arrival).

Rooms are ok, but small. Staff nice. Can't remember if they put paper outside my door or if it was just on table near elevators. Think it was the latter & it was tabloid, not the Times.

I used room service, which was ok. Didn't use hotel restaurants or the health club.

It's hit or miss on cabs being outside the door when you exit in the morning.

It's located in a middle eastern neighborhood, so most of the restaurants on the main street a block or so away are of that genre. and a lot of middle eastern folk stay at the hotel; this may or may not matter to you. i didn't care. was there on bizness & then switching to grosvenor square for the weekend.

They really hit you w/ high phone access charges (I was steaming when I got my bill at check-out & the phone charges are one reason I would consider not staying there again), so you might want to do the set fee for ethernet, which w/ the GPB/$$ exchange is still going to be a bit hefty. But UK hotels all nick you for phone access - MAM rate was higher than Grosvenor Square, and GSM is a nicer Marriott. But I've stayed at Hiltons where I got hammered on the phone access charges (ie, Langham especially). There are some internet cafes, which might be an alternative.

Can't remember if the hotel has a biz center or not.

They have doors that close in the hallways near the elevators in the evenings, to muffle the sound of the elevator. Since I had a room near the elevator, I appreciated this.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

------------------
Sharon
Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:55 pm

The Marble Arch Marriott is a very basic business hotel.

There are 2 types of room:
- the large ones on one side of the corridor
- the small ones on the other side of the corridor.

The size difference is huge and I guarantee that you want to call them up-front to ensure they put you in a large one. These have separate sofa's and very roomy.

The airconditioning in the room is very, very loud. I am a typical airco addict, but at this place even I turned it down a bit.

The health club is nice, I believe it is the only Marriott in London with a decent Jacuzzi/Whirlpool. Sometimes it gets really loud and I left quite early.

I always had problems with the closure time of the health club. In the hotel guide, they clearly state that the health club closes at 10 pm. So I decided to go for a swim at 9:25 pm, and the club employee tells me "we close in 15 minutes". I looked at him and said "You mean 10 pm ?". He said, "15 minutes from now, so at 9:40 !". Can't stand this type of "employee goes first over client" behaviour !

I've always liked their internet access, since they don't charge at in 50% of the cases. Don't know why, but never complained for abvious reasons.

I moved away from this place to the Chancery Court one and the Park Lane because they are simply one class higher. The health club at the Park Lane is great and only closes at 11 pm !

If you have enough points for a cat 7 hotel, I'd recommend you to do the same.

If you have anymore questions ,just let me know !

John69
Old Aug 23, 2003, 3:06 pm

Way to far from a tube to be useful. The county hall is so much nicer.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 7:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SteveinA2:
Way too far from a tube to be useful. The county hall is so much nicer.</font>
Agree. The walk to the tube really got to be a drag after a few days. The hotel was absolutely nothing special at all. Certainly not worth the walk... go elsewhere if you can.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:14 pm

I want to own a 2-bedroom there; I loved those when I toured through it!

Anyway, called back & 1-bedroom opened up for Prez's Weekend using points. Yipee.

titgr, is room service 24/7, or is it limited in hours? i'll probably be out to dinner each night but sometimes on the last night i like to just unwind in my room (normally i stay at grosvenor square marr) & relax, etc, or if i get back late one eve & didn't have time to eat, order late night snack.

also, if i recall correctly, 47 park st uses mar park lane's health club? fee or included?

is there a tv in the bedroom or just in living room?

and is marble arch now the closest tube stop?

PhilC, don't forget to post after your stay in Dec.

------------------
Sharon
Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I have an award stay there at the start of December. Any tips from those with experience would be much appreciated. We're quite looking forward to the change from a regular hotel.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkiAdcock:

is marble arch now the closest tube stop?

</font>
FYI, Sharon. Marble Arch appears to be the closest.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
I just changed my stay from 3 to 4 nights (they now offer a 4 nighter award for 90000 for the 1 br) so I'm looking forward to a slightly longer stay.

Question for those who have an award reservation, does your email confirmation look like this:

RATE INFORMATION:
Rate(s) Quoted in: GB POUND
Room Rate: 73.00 per night. Plus tax when applicable
Rate Program: MV MARRIOTT REWARDS

I wonder why it says 73 pounds per night? Usually the award reservations don't list a room rate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.