Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta, United, Marriott, British Airways, Virgin, American
Originally Posted by Robinjoym
I just called the hotel because I hAve a reservation in March.
The Platinum amenity is cold pastries, juice, and coffee only.
You can upgrade to buffet for $7 dollars, they tell me.
I'm at the hotel now
The waiter yesterday took my coupon
When I asked what I was entitled to, he told me to take anything I wanted despite the coupon
Today, another waiter told me to take "from the 2 small tables" also oatmeal
That being said, the 2 small tables were full of breads, pastries, cheese, meat, smoked salmon,yoghurt, fruit, etc
What you're missing is the eggs, hot meats, and pancakes.
One of the nicest buffets ever!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by Robinjoym
I'm at the hotel now
The waiter yesterday took my coupon
When I asked what I was entitled to, he told me to take anything I wanted despite the coupon
Today, another waiter told me to take "from the 2 small tables" also oatmeal
That being said, the 2 small tables were full of breads, pastries, cheese, meat, smoked salmon,yoghurt, fruit, etc
What you're missing is the eggs, hot meats, and pancakes.
One of the nicest buffets ever!
It may be one of the nicest buffets but there should not be inconsistencies on what the coupon provides!

Based on yesterday, if you had taken eggs and bacon (thinking it was covered by the coupon based on the previous day's waiter) you would have been asked to pay. This inconsistency leads to confusion and customer irritation.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
It may be one of the nicest buffets but there should not be inconsistencies on what the coupon provides!

Based on yesterday, if you had taken eggs and bacon (thinking it was covered by the coupon based on the previous day's waiter) you would have been asked to pay. This inconsistency leads to confusion and customer irritation.
It is supposed to be $7 up charge for the full buffet, which IMO is a great deal as that breakfast buffet is one of the best I've had in a US SPG and for $7 its a no-braner. It would be good to be consistent but either way I'm a fan of this hotel for many reasons and if occasionally they are incorrectly giving someone the upgrade for free...well that's pretty low on my list of things to complain about!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What really leads to confusion and customer irritation is lack of knowledge. A Platinum is only entitled to the continental breakfast, and should know that any offer of more is a one-time offer, and should not be expected.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What really leads to confusion and customer irritation is lack of knowledge. A Platinum is only entitled to the continental breakfast, . . .
Correct.

. . .and should know that any offer of more is a one-time offer, and should not be expected.
Incorrect. There are many instances of properties offering, consistently, more than what is entitles through the SPG T&C's. Many times the "policy" of the property is documented by the property in writing.

How did the OP know what he was offered the first morning was not the hotel's policy and was only a one-time offer? The hotel, and its employees, need to be consistent.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
How did the OP know what he was offered the first morning was not the hotel's policy and was only a one-time offer?
The OP apparently did, because he didn't assume the full buffet would be included the second day, and was not caught by surprise. If it's not in writing, you have to assume it's a one-shot or you have only yourself to blame.

The hotel, and its employees, need to be consistent.
So you think no employee should ever go above and beyond? That's a disastrous attitude. I applaud the employees that offer a higher experience, and hope that never goes away.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
While doing other research, I came across this great website covering the Palace Hotel, from its creation in 1875 to its destruction in 1906, and subsequent rebuilding.

Enjoy!

http://thepalacehotel.org/
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post Wiki updated

Wiki updated.

Summer Dining Hours: August 2016

From August 7 through August 31, 2016, the Pied Piper will be closed for lunch from Monday through Friday. On these days the Pied Piper will open at 2pm and food service will end at 11pm. Additionally, the GC Lounge will not be open for food and beverage service. The Garden Court will also operate on an altered schedule. Please contact the hotel for further information.

Pied Piper Hours: September 1 - 5, 2016

From September 1 through September 5, 2016, the Pied Piper bar will be closed for lunch. On these days the bar will open at 4pm. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
When the consistency argument wins out, then there is never any waiver of policy limitations. This applies to many things, including the Palace hot buffet, and one would never get the hot buffet items free.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Checked-in last night, used SNA for a Superior Suite. Not the largest Suite that I've been in, but still comfortable. A 1-bedroom, bathroom, and sitting room.
Front desk agent said that the breakfast buffet was $9 for Platinums, even when I asked if it was $7.... but the breakfast servers confirmed it was $7.00 to upgrade.
Rather surprised, being that this is a Luxury Collection and that we were in a suite, that there was no turn-down service last night. Also no small "note" of welcome in the room.
The friendliest employees here have been the servers at breakfast and the valet guys outside.
I chose here because I needed a LC stay for my 11 brands stay for the year, but will probably choose the SR next time. (If the price is okay.)
However, the access from/to the BART station cannot be beat. It's literally right outside the Montgomery stop.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:20 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Review: The Palace, SF

We're staying at the Palace right now, and so far, it's fairly disappointing. We are in a "recently upgraded" room. The room was not available until 5 pm, after the normal checkin time, despite us having requested a 1 pm checkin. The room, while containing fairly new furnishings, has quite a few maintenance issues. Especially odd for a recently upgraded room. The front desk can't hear us talking on the phone, the desk has a hatch that apparently conceals electrical outlets, but it won't open. There is noplace to plug in a CPAP machine anywhere near the bed. And a call to address the items not working yielded a promise to send "engineering right up." So far, we have been trapped in the room this evening, waiting for "engineering" for the past hour and a half.

Hardly an auspicious beginning for a high-priced hotel treatment of a platinum guest. The room is quite small for three of us, but sometimes you can expect that of a hotel in a city such as San Francisco. No executive lounge, nothing as far as high0end amenities. I have not stayed here for about 25 years, but I've really had much better stays at the Hiltons in this town.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
There is noplace to plug in a CPAP machine anywhere near the bed.
I'd say this is the case for about 90% of all Starwood hotels we've been to. That's why I usually travel with a 25' extension cord.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:32 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'd say this is the case for about 90% of all Starwood hotels we've been to. That's why I usually travel with a 25' extension cord.
I do, as well, which is why I called the front desk for only the broken things.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I've spent countless hours searching for electrical outlets at Starwood hotels. Marriott is so much better about designing rooms with adequate outlets that I see this as a major benefit of the merger.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Hoc
We're staying at the Palace right now, and so far, it's fairly disappointing. We are in a "recently upgraded" room. The room was not available until 5 pm, after the normal checkin time, despite us having requested a 1 pm checkin. The room, while containing fairly new furnishings, has quite a few maintenance issues. Especially odd for a recently upgraded room. The front desk can't hear us talking on the phone, the desk has a hatch that apparently conceals electrical outlets, but it won't open. There is noplace to plug in a CPAP machine anywhere near the bed. And a call to address the items not working yielded a promise to send "engineering right up." So far, we have been trapped in the room this evening, waiting for "engineering" for the past hour and a half.

Hardly an auspicious beginning for a high-priced hotel treatment of a platinum guest. The room is quite small for three of us, but sometimes you can expect that of a hotel in a city such as San Francisco. No executive lounge, nothing as far as high0end amenities. I have not stayed here for about 25 years, but I've really had much better stays at the Hiltons in this town.
"Trapped in the room"? come on.

Can this be merged into the existing master thread
Palace Hotel, San Francisco 2006 - [Master Thread]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.