Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old May 24, 2010, 11:45 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by envgeo
I like this hotel a lot. I have also stayed at the Westin (modern one around the corner) and the Westin St. Francis (run away). Of the three, the Palace is my favorite.
^I agree I like the Palace too, has a nice feel and is very close to bart. Westin Market street is all business.
cozkay is offline  
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:37 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego CA
Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Posts: 142
Outrageous Parking fee

I just spent one night at the Palace - all was good - upgraded room - nice bar - everything was ok until I saw the charge for my overnight parking - $48.00, for just one night! Guess I was not paying enough attention when I booked the room. So the end result is that I will NEVER stay at the Palace again unless I fly in and cab it around. Absolute crap.
jschutz is offline  
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:43 pm
  #108  
Used to be bulldoggolfer05
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: So Paulo, BR/Miami Beach, FL/NYC/DXB
Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Posts: 2,295
Originally Posted by jschutz
I just spent one night at the Palace - all was good - upgraded room - nice bar - everything was ok until I saw the charge for my overnight parking - $48.00, for just one night! Guess I was not paying enough attention when I booked the room. So the end result is that I will NEVER stay at the Palace again unless I fly in and cab it around. Absolute crap.
Welcome to San Francisco. If you drive and park with any of the hotels in the City, you will be paying an obscene parking charge like this, so it's not just The Palace.
NDDomer86 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:22 pm
  #109  
uxb
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: JFK, DCA, BUR, YVR
Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Posts: 5,216
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Welcome to San Francisco. If you drive and park with any of the hotels in the City, you will be paying an obscene parking charge like this, so it's not just The Palace.
Rent a hybrid and stay at W SF. It's $38,- there... not like that much is better. Otherwise, stay at the Westin St. Francis and park at the public lot in Union Sq (no unlimited in/out, but cheaper than parking at the hotel).
uxb is offline  
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:19 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BLI
Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by uxb
Rent a hybrid and stay at W SF. It's $38,- there... not like that much is better. Otherwise, stay at the Westin St. Francis and park at the public lot in Union Sq (no unlimited in/out, but cheaper than parking at the hotel).
Or take BART in from SFO (goes directly from the airport to the Palace), and rent a car only on the days you need it.
Seattlenerd is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:33 am
  #111  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,165
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Welcome to San Francisco. If you drive and park with any of the hotels in the City, you will be paying an obscene parking charge like this, so it's not just The Palace.
Very true. The Intercontinental on Howard was $60.
TRAVELSIG is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:43 am
  #112  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Monterey, California
Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Posts: 2,188
Hearst Garage (Third and Stevenson) is literally adjacent to the Palace Hotel, opposite side of building from main hotel entrance and offers 24 hour parking for $20, but no in-and-out privileges.

This garage is coveniently located for hotel stays when staying at The Palace, Westin Market Street, Four Seasons, St. Regis, W Hotel, and the InterContinental San Francisco, Marriott Marquis.

I sometimes even use it for Union Square Hotels and walk the ten minutes to Grand Hyatt, St. Francis and others. BART is also located right by Palace Hotel and sometimes I park at Hearst Garage and then take BART to Hyatt Regency Embarcadero stop or walk 20 minutes to Hyatt Regency.
satori is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:17 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by jschutz
I just spent one night at the Palace - all was good - upgraded room - nice bar - everything was ok until I saw the charge for my overnight parking - $48.00, for just one night! Guess I was not paying enough attention when I booked the room. So the end result is that I will NEVER stay at the Palace again unless I fly in and cab it around. Absolute crap.
This is what big-city parking costs. Yes, it's very expensive, but this is not an uncommon overnight parking charge. I live in Chicago and people grumble about the same thing. If you don't want to pay 50 bucks a day for parking, then take the public transportation (or a cab) like most others do! (Or stay in the awful 'burbs.) Either way, quit complaining.
PDXGUY1 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:18 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by cozkay
^I agree I like the Palace too, has a nice feel and is very close to bart. Westin Market street is all business.
I love the bar @ the Palace!
PDXGUY1 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:26 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego CA
Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Posts: 142
Question

Originally Posted by PDXGUY1
This is what big-city parking costs. Yes, it's very expensive, but this is not an uncommon overnight parking charge. I live in Chicago and people grumble about the same thing. If you don't want to pay 50 bucks a day for parking, then take the public transportation (or a cab) like most others do! (Or stay in the awful 'burbs.) Either way, quit complaining.
Excuse me? "Quit complaining" ? This board is set up for critiques of properties so others can make informed decisions about where they might stay. So go back and STAY in Chicago. Did you not read my whole post? I go to SF 2-3 times a year - and I almost always fly there so there is no parking challenges. I stated that I would not drive there again if I had to pay these supercharged valet charges. Why get personal? Quit Complaining?
jschutz is offline  
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:16 am
  #116  
uxb
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: JFK, DCA, BUR, YVR
Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Posts: 5,216
Originally Posted by jschutz
Excuse me? "Quit complaining" ? This board is set up for critiques of properties so others can make informed decisions about where they might stay. So go back and STAY in Chicago. Did you not read my whole post? I go to SF 2-3 times a year - and I almost always fly there so there is no parking challenges. I stated that I would not drive there again if I had to pay these supercharged valet charges. Why get personal? Quit Complaining?
Welcome to FlyerTalk? Haha! Just teasing. I think your rant is valid, but as long as people pay are willing to pay these super-inflated rates...
uxb is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:00 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA,USA
Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 566
With my stay at the Palace this week, I've now stayed at all of the 6? Starwoods within walking distance of each other. It may be my favorite. It's got a nice old-school feel, but it is very well maintained. It has a great pool. The rooms are tastefully decorated, and the bathroom is decent sized.

And they know what every Hampton Inn in the country knows, but many Starwoods can't seem to figure out - at 7:15 am on a business day, I want to be able to pour my own cup of coffee. Not wait for a restaurant to find a to go cup, not have some chirpy barista as me if I want a triple-mocachino, not wait forever for a cold pot of $18 coffee from room service. The self-service coffee in the lobby is a very nice touch

When I checked in, the front desk clerk said I'd been upgraded to a room facing Market Street. I can't say that I thought that this is a good thing, since I was on the 3rd floor and it was a bit noisy

I would definitely stay here again, especially if I can get the same $161 prepaid rate!
TimMeineke is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:15 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
When I checked in, the front desk clerk said I'd been upgraded to a room facing Market Street. I can't say that I thought that this is a good thing, since I was on the 3rd floor and it was a bit noisy
Was on 3rd floor facing Market St just this past weekend, didn't think the noise really amounted to much.

Plus, the BART from SFO to right in front of the hotel made for a fun and easy trip ... short walk to China town, cable car to the wharf - who needs a car and the ridiculous parking rates.
pindento is offline  
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:43 pm
  #119  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Posts: 24,830
Looking back over the last two years of this thread and there's not much concerning Plat upgrades, anyone had any recent experience?
fireworksboy is offline  
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:01 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,299
I stayed there in June during a sold out weekend and I was initially lectured by this surely FD agent (middle age male) that the rooms are upsell to others first since they changed their focus and yet my room wasn't ready. I came back later and this nice supervisor actually moved me to a deluxe suite, which is the standard upgrade for platinum members at this hotel. The rooms are pretty "historic" so be prepared. I guess they do upgrade you at the time of check in, but you just have to find the right agent whose willing to upgrade you.
anchor79 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.