Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old May 24, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by envgeo
I like this hotel a lot. I have also stayed at the Westin (modern one around the corner) and the Westin St. Francis (run away). Of the three, the Palace is my favorite.
^I agree I like the Palace too, has a nice feel and is very close to bart. Westin Market street is all business.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Outrageous Parking fee

I just spent one night at the Palace - all was good - upgraded room - nice bar - everything was ok until I saw the charge for my overnight parking - $48.00, for just one night! Guess I was not paying enough attention when I booked the room. So the end result is that I will NEVER stay at the Palace again unless I fly in and cab it around. Absolute crap.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:43 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by jschutz
I just spent one night at the Palace - all was good - upgraded room - nice bar - everything was ok until I saw the charge for my overnight parking - $48.00, for just one night! Guess I was not paying enough attention when I booked the room. So the end result is that I will NEVER stay at the Palace again unless I fly in and cab it around. Absolute crap.
Welcome to San Francisco. If you drive and park with any of the hotels in the City, you will be paying an obscene parking charge like this, so it's not just The Palace.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:22 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Welcome to San Francisco. If you drive and park with any of the hotels in the City, you will be paying an obscene parking charge like this, so it's not just The Palace.
Rent a hybrid and stay at W SF. It's $38,- there... not like that much is better. Otherwise, stay at the Westin St. Francis and park at the public lot in Union Sq (no unlimited in/out, but cheaper than parking at the hotel).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by uxb
Rent a hybrid and stay at W SF. It's $38,- there... not like that much is better. Otherwise, stay at the Westin St. Francis and park at the public lot in Union Sq (no unlimited in/out, but cheaper than parking at the hotel).
Or take BART in from SFO (goes directly from the airport to the Palace), and rent a car only on the days you need it.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Very true. The Intercontinental on Howard was $60.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Hearst Garage (Third and Stevenson) is literally adjacent to the Palace Hotel, opposite side of building from main hotel entrance and offers 24 hour parking for $20, but no in-and-out privileges.

This garage is coveniently located for hotel stays when staying at The Palace, Westin Market Street, Four Seasons, St. Regis, W Hotel, and the InterContinental San Francisco, Marriott Marquis.

I sometimes even use it for Union Square Hotels and walk the ten minutes to Grand Hyatt, St. Francis and others. BART is also located right by Palace Hotel and sometimes I park at Hearst Garage and then take BART to Hyatt Regency Embarcadero stop or walk 20 minutes to Hyatt Regency.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
This is what big-city parking costs. Yes, it's very expensive, but this is not an uncommon overnight parking charge. I live in Chicago and people grumble about the same thing. If you don't want to pay 50 bucks a day for parking, then take the public transportation (or a cab) like most others do! (Or stay in the awful 'burbs.) Either way, quit complaining.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by cozkay
^I agree I like the Palace too, has a nice feel and is very close to bart. Westin Market street is all business.
I love the bar @ the Palace!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Question

Originally Posted by PDXGUY1
This is what big-city parking costs. Yes, it's very expensive, but this is not an uncommon overnight parking charge. I live in Chicago and people grumble about the same thing. If you don't want to pay 50 bucks a day for parking, then take the public transportation (or a cab) like most others do! (Or stay in the awful 'burbs.) Either way, quit complaining.
Excuse me? "Quit complaining" ? This board is set up for critiques of properties so others can make informed decisions about where they might stay. So go back and STAY in Chicago. Did you not read my whole post? I go to SF 2-3 times a year - and I almost always fly there so there is no parking challenges. I stated that I would not drive there again if I had to pay these supercharged valet charges. Why get personal? Quit Complaining?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:16 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Excuse me? "Quit complaining" ? This board is set up for critiques of properties so others can make informed decisions about where they might stay. So go back and STAY in Chicago. Did you not read my whole post? I go to SF 2-3 times a year - and I almost always fly there so there is no parking challenges. I stated that I would not drive there again if I had to pay these supercharged valet charges. Why get personal? Quit Complaining?
Welcome to FlyerTalk? Haha! Just teasing. I think your rant is valid, but as long as people pay are willing to pay these super-inflated rates...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
With my stay at the Palace this week, I've now stayed at all of the 6? Starwoods within walking distance of each other. It may be my favorite. It's got a nice old-school feel, but it is very well maintained. It has a great pool. The rooms are tastefully decorated, and the bathroom is decent sized.

And they know what every Hampton Inn in the country knows, but many Starwoods can't seem to figure out - at 7:15 am on a business day, I want to be able to pour my own cup of coffee. Not wait for a restaurant to find a to go cup, not have some chirpy barista as me if I want a triple-mocachino, not wait forever for a cold pot of $18 coffee from room service. The self-service coffee in the lobby is a very nice touch

When I checked in, the front desk clerk said I'd been upgraded to a room facing Market Street. I can't say that I thought that this is a good thing, since I was on the 3rd floor and it was a bit noisy

I would definitely stay here again, especially if I can get the same $161 prepaid rate!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
When I checked in, the front desk clerk said I'd been upgraded to a room facing Market Street. I can't say that I thought that this is a good thing, since I was on the 3rd floor and it was a bit noisy
Was on 3rd floor facing Market St just this past weekend, didn't think the noise really amounted to much.

Plus, the BART from SFO to right in front of the hotel made for a fun and easy trip ... short walk to China town, cable car to the wharf - who needs a car and the ridiculous parking rates.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Looking back over the last two years of this thread and there's not much concerning Plat upgrades, anyone had any recent experience?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:01 pm

I stayed there in June during a sold out weekend and I was initially lectured by this surely FD agent (middle age male) that the rooms are upsell to others first since they changed their focus and yet my room wasn't ready. I came back later and this nice supervisor actually moved me to a deluxe suite, which is the standard upgrade for platinum members at this hotel. The rooms are pretty "historic" so be prepared. I guess they do upgrade you at the time of check in, but you just have to find the right agent whose willing to upgrade you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.