Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

What kind of view you get there? I understand some rooms have street view and some backyard "brick-wall" view?
Can a gold member expect to get a room with nice street view?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 10, 2008 at 3:56 pm Reason: Prior master thread at http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699006
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Depends on how busy they are. I've had great rooms as a Gold, and an awful room as a Platinum that has sworn me off the place.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I was there last week on an award stay. I got the brick wall view as a platinum, but didn't mind since they upgraded me to a very spacious room with sitting area and large closet.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:51 pm

Our room didn't have a great view when we were there, but I didn't care for the price we paid, which was great. It was a fairly smallish room but it was very nicely laid out and the hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous with great service. I highly recommend the spa, as well.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

The good view is very important to me and size of the room doesn't matter at all. We'll be staying there two nights (one night paid and one award), starting on a Saturday in February, and we will arrive very early in the morning, do you think it will be possible to request a street view room and get one since we arrive early before the hotel is full (hopefully)? Also can contacting the hotel in advance help?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Any time you are in the midst of a city, and not in a high rise, you are probably only going to view of neighboring buildings. The Palace is not tall enough to offer a panoramic view in any direction.

However, I once got a view that is, for that property, the most wide-reaching. We were upgraded to a spectacular corner suite which had a curved window (yes, the glass was actually curved) looking up Geary St. While it was nothing more than a view down a congested city street and a bunch of moderately-maintained inner-city buildings, it was a very nice room.

If you want a long-distance view, pick the W, St Regis, or tower at the St Francis.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Any time you are in the midst of a city, and not in a high rise, you are probably only going to view of neighboring buildings. The Palace is not tall enough to offer a panoramic view in any direction.

However, I once got a view that is, for that property, the most wide-reaching. We were upgraded to a spectacular corner suite which had a curved window (yes, the glass was actually curved) looking up Geary St. While it was nothing more than a view down a congested city street and a bunch of moderately-maintained inner-city buildings, it was a very nice room.

If you want a long-distance view, pick the W, St Regis, or tower at the St Francis.
I'm not looking for a panoramic view, I just want the room to face the street and not the brick wall
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:38 pm

Trade-off will be Street Noise

Keep in mind that a room with a street view will mean a room with lots of street noise, and being on a higher floor won't help. Street noise around this area generally runs into the late p.m. and starts in the early a.m. (last time I was woken up by barking dogs at 4:00 a.m.). If you're a heavy sleeper, you may not notice the commotion. However, I always thought that I was a heavy sleeper, and the street noise REALLY bothered me. For this reason, I request a quiet(er) inner room for my stays here.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The hotel is not tall enough for a good view. If you need a good Starwood view in SF, you have to stay in the tower of the St. Francis or the W on a high floor. Or go where little cable cars... ride halfway to the stars... the morning fog, may chill the air... (Oops, Starwood doesn't have a property up there.)
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
I've stayed there several times and always had pretty good to spectacular upgrades, but I've never been too excited by the "view." While I like the property, I spend as much time at the Westin St Francis at Union Square - where I also get nice upgrades to the tower - which come with spectacular views.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StarpointsSlave
Keep in mind that a room with a street view will mean a room with lots of street noise, and being on a higher floor won't help. Street noise around this area generally runs into the late p.m. and starts in the early a.m. (last time I was woken up by barking dogs at 4:00 a.m.). If you're a heavy sleeper, you may not notice the commotion. However, I always thought that I was a heavy sleeper, and the street noise REALLY bothered me. For this reason, I request a quiet(er) inner room for my stays here.

Just my 2 cents.
oh i love the street noise and i'm not going to go to bed until early a.m. ^ and i'll be drunk, good luck waking me up!
that's actually what I am looking for, a room facing a busy street, city life...

Last edited by javabean; Jan 18, 2006 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:53 pm

Palace Hotel in SanFran

Anyone ever stay at Palace Hotel in Frisco? Looking for feedback.

The Wizard
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was there last weekend. I had doubts before staying because the physical structure is so old, but the hotel interior is done very nicely...lots of light and bright colors. Overall - very palacial.

Breakfast (though pricey) was excellent. Myself and two friends really felt like we were in a Palace did not want to leave the breakfast table after hour and half.

Service overall is excellent as well. Totally enjoyed.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Anyone ever stay at Palace Hotel in Frisco? Looking for feedback.

The Wizard
Older hotel and facilities. Nice lobby areas but the rooms show their age.

Within walking distance for Starwood, probably better to stay at the W (if you like them) or the new St. Regis (depending on your rate). The newer rooms in the Westin St. Francis are also better in my opinion.

If you like sushi and aren't worried about price, good restaurant in the hotel. Otherwise, food is generally overpriced.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:12 pm

I've also stayed at the Palace and St. Francis, and I highly prefer the St. Francis' newer "Tower" rooms to the Palace's rooms. To compare the two, the furniture and carpet seem twice as old than those found at the St. Francis. And the St. Francis Towers' bathrooms - much nicer than the Palace's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.