Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SeeingtheWorldfromIndy
I stayed at this hotel over New Years and found my BMW damaged when the valet parked the car. He then tried to blame it on me and say that I must have done the damage....despite the car having been fine when I handed him the keys. I battled with the hotel for months trying to get them to at least give me some starwood points for the $2,000 of damage. Their insurance company told me to take it to court or go away.

Now, regardless of the price they offer, I will stay in one of the other SPG properties for the rest of my life (I stay in SF 20+ nights per year).

This hotel can get bent IMO
Was it actually the hotel or a contract service handling the parking? Many places do not operate their own parking service/facility. Finding the right people to negotiate with gets tough when they hide behind others.

I learned long time ago to not trust valet parking. Too many times I've seen them out joy riding in the vehicles (yeah, sounds like a few movies), but when you cruise by them in a car that was just dropped off makes you wonder.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm currently staying here. Properties are either sold out or rates are very high all over Starwood.

I couldn't see it anywhere on the website, but things to know should you consider this property:
- the pool was closed 22nd November for a refresh, and will be reopened somewhere around mid-January
- they have started renovating rooms on 6th December. Drilling noise from the 3rd floor can be heard at least a few levels up.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Originally Posted by remymartin
I couldn't see it anywhere on the website, but things to know should you consider this property:
- the pool was closed 22nd November for a refresh, and will be reopened somewhere around mid-January
- they have started renovating rooms on 6th December. Drilling noise from the 3rd floor can be heard at least a few levels up.
Thank you very much!! Just booked two rooms on starpoints. The diamond concierge told me that the pool will be under renovation - but she didn't say a thing on the rooms!

Any other recent stays to tell whether the noise is bad? At what time they start the drilling in the morning?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by accidental_tourist
The diamond concierge
I think you have your programs confused...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think you have your programs confused...
You are so right! Double top-tier here!
Platinum concierge. But I do want to know how bad the noise at The Palace is.

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:57 am

Thank you very much!! Just booked two rooms on starpoints. The diamond concierge told me that the pool will be under renovation - but she didn't say a thing on the rooms!

Any other recent stays to tell whether the noise is bad? At what time they start the drilling in the morning?
Correction to my earlier post - the pool will be reopened on 15th Feb.

The renovation can't be that extensive as, according to the info in the room, they were planning on being ready sometime April / May next year. I was only there for one weekday (+ weekend) and the work started somewhere after 9am.

Even with the renovations, I had an excellent stay, here's why:
  • the concierges went above and beyond
  • the main areas, such as the lobby and the breakfast room, are magnificent
  • the bar is good and attracts a lot of local crowd
  • SNAs cleared 5 days in
  • continental breakfast alone was really good, and the upgrade to grand buffet was only $7 extra
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:19 pm

Thanks, remymartin!

Yeah I read about the exceptional level of service at this property - which is what tempted me to get rooms here. As I said I don't really care about the pool. But as I am flying east from Asia, I do want to know how bad the drilling noise is in the morning, assuming that I need to sleep in a bit late in the morning (jet lag...)?

Guess the hotel staff would be indulging to put the whole family up on higher floors, I would hope (Plat75 here).

Would appreciate your experience here!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:23 am

Thanks, remymartin!

Yeah I read about the exceptional level of service at this property - which is what tempted me to get rooms here. As I said I don't really care about the pool. But as I am flying east from Asia, I do want to know how bad the drilling noise is in the morning, assuming that I need to sleep in a bit late in the morning (jet lag...)?

Guess the hotel staff would be indulging to put the whole family up on higher floors, I would hope (Plat75 here).

Would appreciate your experience here!
I didn't see any further information on how long you'll be staying etc. If you are sensitive to noise, I would at a minimum make sure that:
A) I'm arriving on a weekend, when no work is done and/or
B) I work with the hotel beforehand to make sure I'm as far away from the renovations as possible (3-4 floors higher/lower) or
C) stay at another hotel during the week and move here for the weekend
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:29 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
A good stay

Booked a 2 night stay on points at Palace Hotel after 5 nights in Sonoma. Have stayed there in the past so I was familiar with the rooms. I love the location. An easy walk to the ferry docks, Union square and Chinatown. We were upgraded to a Delux room on 7th floor. Didn't read any recent reviews prior to going, so I didn't know about the construction.

The people were fantastic, friendly and incredibly helpful. I had spoken to the concierge Debbie Lew prior to our stay and she had sent me pages of activities and things to do in advance. I introduced myself to her and she referenced the specific reason for my call. Not too shabby.

From the bellman to the front desk staff the service was great. Although the hotel is in the middle of a remodeling project other than the gym and pool being closed we weren't impacted.

The only real negative is that we were there during a "cold spell" and the Garden Courtyard" where we had breakfast was freezing. People were eating their $28 continental breakfast wearing winter jackets and scarves.

I am looking forward to staying after the renovation.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Stayed at The Palace last night and was thoroughly unimpressed. SPG is not my normal program, but I'm "giving them a shot" via the Amex. It's very close to the Montgomery BART station, which was much appreciated after flying into OAK late night.

This place is old, stately, and reminded me of the old Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis, which is not necessarily a good thing. My room was comfortable, but it was just old- complete with small art-deco tiled bathroom with constantly flickering fluorescent light. Generic Gilchrist and Soames amenities (disappointing). In my opinion, after looking through the Luxury Collection Epicurean Journeys book or whatever it was called in the room, this place doesn't really deserve a spot in the Lux Collection portfolio.

Paid 12k points, and apparently it's going up in category soon. Very glad to be moving to the Grand Hyatt tonight. Location is the Palace's true strength. Wasn't at all impressed by the rest.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I usually stay at the St Regis when I'm in San Francisco, but I saw that this hotel recently had some of the rooms renovated... Never tried this before, but does anyone have any updates on the renovated rooms, and how does this hotel compared to the St Regis?
Old May 6, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tfung
I usually stay at the St Regis when I'm in San Francisco, but I saw that this hotel recently had some of the rooms renovated... Never tried this before, but does anyone have any updates on the renovated rooms, and how does this hotel compared to the St Regis?
Never stayed at the St. Regis, so I can't compare. But I returned from the Palace today after staying in a newly renovated room.

Much brighter, a few hip/retro touches (dresser "drawers" are designed to look like old-fashioned suitcases and trunks that open up), electronic card locks, nicely "framed" flat-panel televisions, and generally more like a European Le Meridien without the emphasis on art. However, they have kept historic aspects: the large bronze door knobs, the dark wood doors, and other cultural touchstones.

Classy, upscale, and more blue/gray, versus the old tan/brown color scheme. Pleasing to the eye.

The rooms all appear to be done. Up next is the common areas (lobby, etc.) and that disruption, when it begins soon, will last through August based on a note that was dropped under my door yesterday.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat
So I originally had a C&P reservation for May 27-28 that was suddenly cancelled this morning without my knowledge. I have called into SPG customer service and was told that someone at the hotel named Matthew had done this.

SPG customer service told me that they have left a note with the hotel to contact them about this but does anyone know what else I can do in the interim? I am leaving for the states in a week's time so this is clearly unwelcome.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by zjunyuan
So I originally had a C&P reservation for May 27-28 that was suddenly cancelled this morning without my knowledge. I have called into SPG customer service and was told that someone at the hotel named Matthew had done this.

SPG customer service told me that they have left a note with the hotel to contact them about this but does anyone know what else I can do in the interim? I am leaving for the states in a week's time so this is clearly unwelcome.
Short of booking a backup rez somewhere else, waiting for SPG to get this fixed is the best move. Being the weekend, Monday may be the first day they can get anywhere. It may be Matthew picked the wrong rez to cancel and they will be able to reinstate your's.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed at this property a couple years ago and I must say that I am quite pleased with the renovated rooms. I agree with the previous assessment about it seeming a lot like an understated LM property (there was one piece of art on the wall... which I'd like to own, to be honest). I'll edit my post with a photo of my Junior Suite in a bit.

The biggest things I noticed between my previous visit and this one were: 1) the old bathtub was replaced with a modern shower-only configuration and 2) there are outlets in the nightstands compared to the old floor-only outlet configuration (usually far away from the bed).

I was pleasantly surprised by my single-night stay here over the weekend, though. I almost wish I would have diverted a night from the St. Regis back to the Palace (okay not really, but it is now a solid #2 option in this area of town close to Moscone).

Junior Suite (Panoramic):

Bathroom:

Last edited by jibi; Sep 14, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.