Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

There's a 6% Government Tax and MYR10 Tourism Tax not shown in the rate.

Hotel email addresses:

The Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur: [email protected]

JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:44 pm

No doubt there is a lot of hyperbole in post #423 , but I must say that while the buffet breakfast spread at the Meridien KL looks most impressive, the taste of most dishes is definitely sub-par from what you would expect of a luxury hotel. Egg dishes are fine but only if you wait at the counter to have them freshly made, the Japanese section only has very cheap and lousy maki, the Chinese section is an abomination when compared to the fare you get at any Chinese restaurant in KL, the Indian section has awful idlis and dosas, the Malay section is just ok and for cold cuts of course you do not get any real ham or salami. Unfortunately, this seems to be at par with most Malaysian hotel restaurants I have encountered.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Stayed at Le Meridien KL, and adding some comments.

I must state outright the buffet breakfast was absolutely terrible. I don't know why some people make a fuss about it, I asked for some recommendations and based on my research at FT here, Le Meridien KL was supposed to the best. IT IS NOT. Yes, it is true it has a large variety but every dish was lousy and mediocre.

SNIP because we’ve all read it already...

Le Meridien KL was a real shithole. Yes, it looks great and fancy, and it's so upscale. But the food was crap, and the facilities were crap. AVOID. Basically ruined my vacation.
This is one of the most hilarious, furious, venomous, posts I’ve read on FlyerTalk in ages. Keep it up, sir. I’ve got popcorn.
myperks likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:03 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crunchie

SI room are very nice "classic luxury" style which feels just a bit stuffy to me but that's a personal preference. R had both classic and modern styled rooms but with recent updates, I find them to be on the lower end of modern. That said, the sparser setup works better for me. My colleagues love the large pool and swim-up bar at the Renaissance but the bar is just novelty for me. The large, open layout of the pool is great if you want to do laps or want to be able to just lay there and see everyone. The SI pool is big enough but surroundings is much cozier with some isolation because of the curvy layout and plants between some of the chairs. They don't have nearly as many chairs though. Lounge is average for the R, much nicer at SI both physically and in the evening snacks quality.
The SI just completed room Reno’s so I am not sure I would describe it as “classic luxury”

https://www.traveldailynews.asia/she...hes-with-a-new
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Originally Posted by helvetic
So if the food is bad… don't eat it? Nobody is forcing you to eat hotel breakfast. Just because it's free doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself.

Some people…
First world problems are real man....... how could you not feel his pain.

Originally Posted by lewin85
Oh wow the entitlement complex is strong in this one...

Nobody looks for good local food in hotels. Since you can’t find it in Le meridien KL, maybe you should just do western (Prime restaurant has quite good steaks) and go back to Seattle for the excellent and spicy Malaysian food.
Who did you just call a nobody?

Btw, a native Malaysian/Southeast Asian or anybody that has spent a substantial amount of time living there like a local will tell you there is no good Malaysian food in Seattle. Some are "good enough" to resemble Malaysian food, that is not the same as good.

Originally Posted by ftrichard

This is one of the most hilarious, furious, venomous, posts I’ve read on FlyerTalk in ages. Keep it up, sir. I’ve got popcorn.
Instead of popcorn, try a cup of steamed corn with butter or sunflower seeds still in their shells. The latter is pretty darn good with beer if it weren't such a pain to get that little thing out. Guess it slows down the intake so it's hard to eat 3K calories worth in one sitting.

Kidding aside, this is a sad reflection of how the toxic sense of entitlement and superiority is alive and perhaps thriving. I genuinely appreciate very candid, even blunt reviews to get the facts. I believe that really helps others and perhaps even the management or owner of the property in question (consider Hanlon's razor). Acting like a jerk and asserting it is right to abuse privileges and bully those largely powerless to react is beyond lame.
ftrichard and HollyGlen like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Originally Posted by markis10

The SI just completed room Reno’s so I am not sure I would describe it as “classic luxury”

https://www.traveldailynews.asia/she...hes-with-a-new
Thanks for the correction markis10. My last stay at the SI was almost 2 years ago, looks like they've been busy. From the pictures your linked article to, the room decor has style changed significantly. Wonder if they got the same interior designers from the Renaissance but paid for better contractors and material.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the aloft here. IMHO one of the best hotels in KUL considering the price. Rooftop pool (open until midnight) and breakfast spread are both excellent.

12,5k per night is impressive value here. You also get a free minibar (non-alc).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA: GS, MM; Marriott: PP
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the aloft here. IMHO one of the best hotels in KUL considering the price. Rooftop pool (open until midnight) and breakfast spread are both excellent.

12,5k per night is impressive value here. You also get a free minibar (non-alc).
Thanks for sharing SkyealkerLAX. Do you know whether Bonvoy Platinum and Titanium have free breakfast at the Aloft in KL?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by StephenSamuel1234
Thanks for sharing SkyealkerLAX. Do you know whether Bonvoy Platinum and Titanium have free breakfast at the Aloft in KL?
Yes!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:29 pm

Main reason is that many people on here are Platinium or greater elites and the cash rate is invariably about the same as Le Meridien across the station or numerous other KL hotels (Sheraton, Renaissance) that all have lounges with food and alcohol in the evening (something Le Meridien is particularly well thought of) whereas the Aloft has no equivalent offering and therefore for cash provides elites with significantly less value. Of course, Le Meridien is more points but for the same 12,500 you can go to the Sheraton or Renaissance and get into their lounge in the evening. Booze isn't cheap in KL and this adds tremendous value to a points redemption. If you're not Platinum or greater then this point is moot and I agree about the rooftop pool and breakfast being significant attractions at the Aloft but after one staycastion there I decided I'd spend my cash elsewhere if the rates were around the same.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:18 am

In a city like KL (and other such as Singapore, Taipei, etc), i sometimes feel that it’s better to go to a hotel without a lounge. That way, except for breakfast, I get to eat out and don’t feel bad not eating in some of the better lounges in the evening. I know i can skip but feels like not getting the best value .
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StephenSamuel1234
They make you choose it as your status benefit. Easy choice since now 500 points are really worth as much as toilet paper.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Main reason is that many people on here are Platinium or greater elites and the cash rate is invariably about the same as Le Meridien across the station or numerous other KL hotels (Sheraton, Renaissance) that all have lounges with food and alcohol in the evening (something Le Meridien is particularly well thought of) whereas the Aloft has no equivalent offering and therefore for cash provides elites with significantly less value. Of course, Le Meridien is more points but for the same 12,500 you can go to the Sheraton or Renaissance and get into their lounge in the evening. Booze isn't cheap in KL and this adds tremendous value to a points redemption. If you're not Platinum or greater then this point is moot and I agree about the rooftop pool and breakfast being significant attractions at the Aloft but after one staycastion there I decided I'd spend my cash elsewhere if the rates were around the same.
I'm just back from KL and thought the Sheraton was a total .... show. I cancelled the reservation while checking in as no upgrade whatsoever was offered.

If I have the option of a hotel with a nice rooftop bar/pool that is open until late I gladly forego a lounge with third grade finger food. I can afford 5 bucks for a cocktail.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:02 am

I'm just back from KL and thought the Sheraton was a total .... show. I cancelled the reservation while checking in as no upgrade whatsoever was offered.

If I have the option of a hotel with a nice rooftop bar/pool that is open until late I gladly forego a lounge with third grade finger food. I can afford 5 bucks for a cocktail.
Oh well. Win some, lose some. How do you know the lounge serves third-grade finger food?

I'll join you for that $5 cocktail in KL in two weeks time. Sounds like a bargain. Having lived there for five years I never found any bar serving cocktails containing real alcohol for less than about $10 so the $5 one you found may contain that cheap industrial alcohol blend you can buy in Malaysian supermarkets.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:43 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Oh well. Win some, lose some. How do you know the lounge serves third-grade finger food?

I'll join you for that $5 cocktail in KL in two weeks time. Sounds like a bargain. Having lived there for five years I never found any bar serving cocktails containing real alcohol for less than about $10 so the $5 one you found may contain that cheap industrial alcohol blend you can buy in Malaysian supermarkets.
You mean the methanol stuff that makes you blind?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
They make you choose it as your status benefit. Easy choice since now 500 points are really worth as much as toilet paper.
@skywalkerLAX @StephenSamuel1234 It is worth noting that for Platinum / Titanium / Ambassador members, the Meridien KL gives you 1,000 points PLUS a full buffet breakfast in the restaurant (or the lounge if you wish), which is more generous than under the general breakfast rules for the LM brand.

And yes, I have also given up on the Sheraton. Beautiful hardware unfortunately does not compensate for deficient software, and the location is really bad because it will take an absolute eternity for a taxi / Grab to get to you if you are going somewhere not accessible by public transport.

Last edited by HollyGlen; Aug 27, 2019 at 11:59 pm Reason: I can't spell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.