Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO. AFAIK Premier Plat is what it always was, an additional higher unpublished elite level at MR with no known or fixed criteria.
And no know or fixed benefit
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by djohannw
Well, as I said it depends on your stay-pattern. A good share of my stays is at Residence Inns that only gives 7.5 points per dollar, and the rollover-nights also make up a good share of my number of nights (e.g. had 96 roll over from 2011 to 2012) - this adds to my number-of-points problem...
Fair enough - I avoid them like the plague so I didn't think of them.

But I guess: Each to his own...:-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Also agreed. I found MR easier as they always have properties where I travel. I've has a few years stationed in locations without SPG's, so I need to cram in SPG stays through hopping and promos during a 2 month period. But I have 110-125 nights to spread around. A 50 night traveler obviously will find SPG easier.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
I think you're confusing Lifetime Platinum with Platinum Premier. They are totally different. It sounds like you will soon have Lifetime Plat. Congrats.

Plat Premier is an unpublished higher level of annual Plat with undisclosed requirements that presumably change every year. I can't imagine a phone agent knowing what these standards are or confirming that you are close.
I just called MR's again and the agent confirmed that with 6 additional nights I'll achieve Lifetime Platinum. She agreed that the previous agent I talked to had misspoken as there is no such thing as Lifetime Platinum Premier. It would have been nice if the previous posters had simply pointed out the difference (since they obviously knew) instead of just saying "you're wrong."
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
To enable a fact-based comparison, this is SPG vs. Marriott side-by-side

SPG:

Number of nights: 250 (Gold) / 500 (Platinum)
Years of corresponding Elite status: 5 (Gold) / 10 (Platinum)
Years in program: none (but because of the above 5 resp. 10 years)
Number of points earned: No requirement

Marriott:

Number of nights: 600 (Silver) / 800 (Gold) / 1000 (Platinum)
Years of corresponding Elite status: 1
Years in program: 12
Number of points earned: 1200000 (Silver) / 1600000 (Gold) / 2000000 (Platinum)

With that it is pretty obvious that achieving Lifetime-status is more difficult with Marriott, and substantially that. The only requirement that is higher for Starwood is the fact that you have to achieve Platinum for ten years during your lifetime while theoretically Marriott only requires a single year of Gold or Platinum membership if you satisfy the other requirements - realistically the numbers are so high however that without an extended number of years of status you will stand no chance to achieve that. Undisputably however a lower number than ten, I mostly came close to LT Gold over the course of the last three to four years with 100++ nights each year.

Depending on your stay-pattern the points requirement may be the biggest challenge to meet, and here SPG has no such requirement at all. 1.6 Million points over 800 nights means 2000 points per night, so $130 per night on average as a Platinum before any bonusses. I'm at 1696 points on average per night over 726 nights right now, so I will need substantially more than the 800 nights to reach LT Gold to satisfy the points-requirement.

Greetings - Dirk
The trade off is that you dont need the time in the program and it rolls over.

For example with gold...800 nights= 20 nights/yr over 40 years. 4 weeks of travel per year. This part isnt too hard to obtain if you occasionally travel for work....like you travel for 1/2 conferences and 1/2 training classes/seminars, and 1/2 client travel per year. Then add in your own personal travel the 20 nights is reasonable.

the more difficult part is the points because it equates to $200/night (assuming no status and bonus points). If you had the Marriott credit card and use it for your stays at marriott then this makes it more obtainable.

This would be less if say over your career you had one job for 3 yeas that was heavy travel for you may have put in 400 of the nights.

Having needed only one year of status make it easier...plus you add in those gold/platnium challanges gets you the status.

With SPG...the issue is having miminum years of status which would be far more difficult for many.

the other issues with SPG are (1) they are limited to larger cities, (2) there price point in the cities are much higher if you are paying out of your own pocket or your corporation has price restrictions.

For example I work for the federal government so I need to book at fed govt rate set by the GSA which SPG rarely has available. If I stay at a higher rate I need to jump through hoops to get it covered.

One time in my travels I had to go through hoops to get my rate covered because the lack of govt hotel rate availability...I had to argue tthat me staying there means I save more by not needing a rental car. govt rate hotel +rental car costs+parking and gas costs >> airport subway/shuttle costs + downtown hotel cost.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with moderate business-travel SPG Platinum is rather easy to achieve and maintain. Given that you can do that with 25 nights a year it's a lot less legwork than the 75 nights with Marriott.
Annual SPG Platinum is not 25 nights, it's 25 stays or 50 nights. It's only 25 nights if every single one of your stays is a one-night stay.

Meanwhile, depends on the elite perks you're interested in, with SPG having two levels, but Marriott having three, there's a quesiton of whether you really need Marriott Plat to compare to SPG Plat. It seems to me that Marriott Gold compares reasonably well to SPG Plat already. And annual Marriott Gold is the same 50 nights as SPG Plat (on nights as opposed to stays).

(That's the problem with comparing different programs' elite lievels by name. The names don't line up: SPG first level is Gold, but that's the name of Marriott's middle level, and Marriott calls its first level Silver. You have to compare by benefits you care about -- free wifi, free breakfast, upgrades, whatever -- and not by name.)

And for those in the US having the Marriott credit card lowers that to 35 nights, while having the SPG card only lowers it to 45 nights (or 23 stays).

(Of course, there are the annual elite status requirements, and they don't line up exactly with the lifetime status requirements. AFAIK SPG doesn't have a stay version of the lifetime status requirement, only for the annual status requirement. Marriot, OTOH, doesn't have a stay version of either.)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: HertzPC; Delta-SILVER; Marriott-PLATINUM; Choice Hotels-DIAMOND
Originally Posted by romadaro
She went through the whole cycle-I've been in the program 12 years (10 years required), I've earned 3,634,661 points (2 mil required) and I only need 6 more nights (1,000 required) !"
Is it any of the above three or ALL three needed?

Where do I find that info?

Jim
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:09 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jak71454
Is it any of the above three or ALL three needed?

Where do I find that info?

Jim
All three are needed.

And Marriott has not put info concerning their LT status on their website. So you can find info here or you can call MR and ask the agent there about the LT program.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's not necessarily a matter of not being able to get a credit card. Some people don't want dozens of credit card accounts and might prefer not to use a MR card or not to use it as a primary card, so that very little spend goes through that account.
Meeting the points requirement won't be hard for me, but penciling out the numbers does show where it may be tough. The lifetime qualifications all set the number of points required equal to 2000 times the number of nights required. Earning 2000 points/night means paying an average nightly rate of anywhere from $133 to about $175, depending on your elite bonus, but before special program bonuses and without using the MR credit card. And that's for properties paying 10 points/dollar. If you're racking up lots of nights at cheaper properties or at the brands that pay only only 5 points/dollar, I can see how the points requirement may be hard to satisfy.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Meeting the points requirement won't be hard for me, but penciling out the numbers does show where it may be tough. The lifetime qualifications all set the number of points required equal to 2000 times the number of nights required. Earning 2000 points/night means paying an average nightly rate of anywhere from $133 to about $175, depending on your elite bonus, but before special program bonuses and without using the MR credit card. And that's for properties paying 10 points/dollar. If you're racking up lots of nights at cheaper properties or at the brands that pay only only 5 points/dollar, I can see how the points requirement may be hard to satisfy.

You are forgetting about the Megabonus which can night 25,000 - 50,000 points per quarter if you meet the nights/stays requirements. If you earn the 50,000 points each quarter you will have 1 million points in 5 years, assuming MR doesn't start analyzing their promotions as well.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Annual SPG Platinum is not 25 nights, it's 25 stays or 50 nights. It's only 25 nights if every single one of your stays is a one-night stay.
So you agree it can be done in 25 nights. Of course that has certain restrictions (i.e. each stay being exactly one night), but there is a possibility to maintain status with 25 nights at SPG which is only a third of MR Plat no matter how hard you try.

Meanwhile, depends on the elite perks you're interested in, with SPG having two levels, but Marriott having three, there's a quesiton of whether you really need Marriott Plat to compare to SPG Plat. It seems to me that Marriott Gold compares reasonably well to SPG Plat already.
Well...similar upgrades and an arrival gift (and one of decent value) will require MR Platinum - so ideed it depends on each one's valuation of the elite benefits. It's not easy to compare elite-levels with each program as the benefits vary, but apart from lounge-access and the availability of breakfast Gold-benefits are the only comparable aspects to SPG Plat.

(That's the problem with comparing different programs' elite lievels by name. The names don't line up: SPG first level is Gold, but that's the name of Marriott's middle level, and Marriott calls its first level Silver. You have to compare by benefits you care about -- free wifi, free breakfast, upgrades, whatever -- and not by name.)
Trust me, I do that. And the diversity of benefits afforded by the different chains makes a comparison a very personal decision - for me as someone who has >150 nights a year both programs have their pros and cons, and I balance my nights between the two but make sure that I requalify at Plat-Level at both.

And for those in the US having the Marriott credit card lowers that to 35 nights, while having the SPG card only lowers it to 45 nights (or 23 stays).
Which for me and many others living in Europe has no meaning at all - we just do not get any jump-start by taking out a credit-card...and I think both the population of MR and SPG will be at least at parity between US- and non-US-residents.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It would have been nice if the previous posters had simply pointed out the difference (since they obviously knew) instead of just saying "you're wrong."
Hmmmmm. Very first response to you:

Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't believe there's such a thing as Lifetime Platinum Premiere. Those criteria sound like Platinum.
My apologies, I guess.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
OK, with all due respect, why don't you tell me what's wrong with my statement. Dirk posted the same thing in thread # 21 and it's exactly what I was told by Marriott Rewards. In fact, the rep at MR said that once I complete the additional 6 nights to make 1,000, which will satisfy the last requirement, I'll get a new card with Lifetime Platinum Premiere and no expiration date. I'm just quoting what I was told, so you know more than the folks at MR's???
It is unfortunately true that many long term MR members know quite a bit more than some MR customer service agents, as you have now found out.

I just called MR's again and the agent confirmed that with 6 additional nights I'll achieve Lifetime Platinum. She agreed that the previous agent I talked to had misspoken as there is no such thing as Lifetime Platinum Premier. It would have been nice if the previous posters had simply pointed out the difference (since they obviously knew) instead of just saying "you're wrong."
Your post seemed to indicate that you weren't really interested in what anyone knew, only in what you were told by Marriott. As both CPRich and VickiSoCal are generally known to be correct, and more than willing to share their knowledge......perhaps chastising them and expecting an apology is the reverse of what should have occurred.

Last edited by bdschobel; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:31 am Reason: fixed coding
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
My guess is they may require more nights if they change the criteria for lifetime status. Rollover nights have made it easier for people to accumulate nights. The 12 year requirement seems unlikely to change, and it would look stupid if they increase the point requirements after lowering them. I realize Marriott has done stupid things before, but I think this possibility is low.

Frankly, I would rather see them change nothing and make lifetime status more public. I am waiting to hit the 12 year mark, and I'll be screwed if they raise nights significantly. I have enough points, unless they decide lifetime platinum needs 5 million.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:23 am
iwc

Not sure what it all means but Michellel from Marriott posted on Marriott Insider:

"Re Lifetime status: we've never published the criteria so, technically, you wouldn't notice any changes. Truthfully, we went through an exercise comparing our criteria to our competitors with the thought of being better aligned. We get that we're behind the big two in terms of perceived value - and although there are some who won't believe me, or take this as an opportunity to pile on - we really work hard to advocate on behalf of our members to maximize benefits and recognition. Sometimes we're the windshield, sometimes we're the bug... Plainly - yes. Change is coming. Positive if you strive to achieve lifetime, and Negative if you think it'll just cause more (unworthy?) people to make a commotion in the CL."

We can only hope for the best.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:10 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by iwc
Not sure what it all means but Michellel from Marriott posted on Marriott Insider:

"Re Lifetime status: we've never published the criteria so, technically, you wouldn't notice any changes. Truthfully, we went through an exercise comparing our criteria to our competitors with the thought of being better aligned. We get that we're behind the big two in terms of perceived value - and although there are some who won't believe me, or take this as an opportunity to pile on - we really work hard to advocate on behalf of our members to maximize benefits and recognition. Sometimes we're the windshield, sometimes we're the bug... Plainly - yes. Change is coming. Positive if you strive to achieve lifetime, and Negative if you think it'll just cause more (unworthy?) people to make a commotion in the CL."

We can only hope for the best.
So what in the world does this mean for those of us that are currently striving for lifetime status and passing up less expensive options at other brands (which have much more liberal requirements for annual elite status--think SPG) just to aquire nights and points towards Marriott lifetime. The Insiders often talk in riddles such as--

Negative if you think it'll just cause more (unworthy?) people to make a commotion in the CL."..--Who is "unworthy" if they meet the published requirements for lifetime. This is just a bizzare off the wall statement.

Plus I don't understand why she says that "we've never published the criteria so, technically, you wouldn't notice any changes." I always thought that the criteria were very clearly stated and published. It consists of the three factors of years of membership; number of paid nights; and points for each lifetime status level. What is under the table that has not been published?

Of course we would notice any change no matter how minor. If changes work in favor of the customer a big thumbs up--but if changes go the other way just wait for the uproar and defections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.