FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:10 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by iwc
Not sure what it all means but Michellel from Marriott posted on Marriott Insider:

"Re Lifetime status: we've never published the criteria so, technically, you wouldn't notice any changes. Truthfully, we went through an exercise comparing our criteria to our competitors with the thought of being better aligned. We get that we're behind the big two in terms of perceived value - and although there are some who won't believe me, or take this as an opportunity to pile on - we really work hard to advocate on behalf of our members to maximize benefits and recognition. Sometimes we're the windshield, sometimes we're the bug... Plainly - yes. Change is coming. Positive if you strive to achieve lifetime, and Negative if you think it'll just cause more (unworthy?) people to make a commotion in the CL."

We can only hope for the best.
So what in the world does this mean for those of us that are currently striving for lifetime status and passing up less expensive options at other brands (which have much more liberal requirements for annual elite status--think SPG) just to aquire nights and points towards Marriott lifetime. The Insiders often talk in riddles such as--

Negative if you think it'll just cause more (unworthy?) people to make a commotion in the CL."..--Who is "unworthy" if they meet the published requirements for lifetime. This is just a bizzare off the wall statement.

Plus I don't understand why she says that "we've never published the criteria so, technically, you wouldn't notice any changes." I always thought that the criteria were very clearly stated and published. It consists of the three factors of years of membership; number of paid nights; and points for each lifetime status level. What is under the table that has not been published?

Of course we would notice any change no matter how minor. If changes work in favor of the customer a big thumbs up--but if changes go the other way just wait for the uproar and defections.