Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kgdg
I have a similar question:
Thus far, I have:
SPG:
6 years PLATINUM (will soon be 7 in a couple of more weeks)
571+ nights

MARRIOTT:
2 years PLATINUM
383 lifetime nights, 9 nights so far this year (with 66 more to go to earn PLT this year)

Since I will be achieving PLT in the next couple of weeks in SPG, my plan was to then switch to Marriott and earn the remaining 66 nights through 12/31/2018 thereby making the 3rd year as PLT in Marriott.

Will they then count the 7 years from SPG and 3 years from Marriott as PLT = 10 years hence giving me grandfathered Lifetime Platinum Premier in the new program?
Of course, this will only work if they let us earn into LT PP through the end of the year, and not only by Aug 1.
From this article, it sounds like we have until 12/31/2018, both the author's own example and the direct quote he quotes clearly mention 12/31/2018:
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lifet...riott-program/

From what I saw comparing the levels, I only see 48 hour guarantee and 17.5 points/$ (vs 15pts/$ for PLT) as the additional benefit for LT PP vs LT Plat?
From what I've seen, IF you are MR LTP in August, then when you merge your accounts you will be MPG LTPP right away. You are not so not an issue.

If your combined numbers reach 750 nights and 10 years as Plat by 12/31/18, then you will be granted MPG LTPP in Jan '19. You can also make MR LTP (nights/points)by 12/31/18 to get MPG LTPP, but it's not clear if you have to refrain from merging your accounts to keep your MR account active.

As for the benefits, yes pretty trivial. But this is the "brass ring" syndrome, if there is a higher level, I want it! Go back and read the thread about MR PP status. There is very little to be gained and no set threshold to get it, yet many were clambering for it. One only hopes when they gut the program the absolute top tier will be the last to go.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
The verbiage is confusing, and you may be better off contacting Marriott individually for verification. So far as I read the new terms, the qualification terms are:
A) You qualify under existing terms for old MR status (250 + 1.2M points silver, 500 nights + 1.6M points Gold [new plat], 750 nights + 2.0M points Plat [new Plat Premier]).
B) You qualify under existing terms for old SPG status (250 nights + 5 years at gold for LTG, 500 nights + 10 years at plat for LTP) for equivalent ranks in new program.
C) You qualify under the new terms of combined activity at 750 nights + 10 years at Platinum for LTPP.

You are going for scenario C.

For the part of what qualifies for a year at Platinum:

So as far as I read that, you're considered "Platinum" for the year if you hit 50 nights within that year (legacy MR Gold terms) or 50 nights/25 stays (legacy SPG terms). Thus, your 6 years SPG + 2 years MR plat map cleanly to 8 years of plat.

Now from this response, any year in which you hit the same level in both programs will be counted as a year each. Which is to say, if you hit 25 stays/50 nights at SPG in a year, and hit 50 nights in MR, each counts as a separate year, even if both happened in the same year (e.g. 2018). Thus, if you can hit both thresholds in 2018, your combined status should be LTPP in the combined program.

Again though: I'd recommend contacting Marriott CS for a paper trail before you go on any adventure to make the rest of the status up and spend a lot of money in the process.
Thanks phltraveler, i think you meant " Thus, your 7 years SPG + 2 years MR plat map to 9 years of PLAT". And then 2018 being the year I get PLT in MR as well (in addition to SPG) will give me my 10th year? I have already reached out to MR asking to give me my number of years as PLT they have on record just so I have it in writing, but so far, no reply.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
From what I've seen, IF you are MR LTP in August, then when you merge your accounts you will be MPG LTPP right away. You are not so not an issue.

If your combined numbers reach 750 nights and 10 years as Plat by 12/31/18, then you will be granted MPG LTPP in Jan '19. You can also make MR LTP (nights/points)by 12/31/18 to get MPG LTPP, but it's not clear if you have to refrain from merging your accounts to keep your MR account active.

As for the benefits, yes pretty trivial. But this is the "brass ring" syndrome, if there is a higher level, I want it! Go back and read the thread about MR PP status. There is very little to be gained and no set threshold to get it, yet many were clambering for it. One only hopes when they gut the program the absolute top tier will be the last to go.
Thanks RogerD, that's what I was trying to confirm, do I have until Aug 1 or 12/31 to earn my 10th year of PLT assuming they are going to take the combined 7 (SPG) and 3 (MR) years = 10 years as I have already exceeded the nights requirement.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Been reading the last few posts, and I'm also one of the many who are seemingly on the cusp of LTPP (I wish I had 1 more year to work on this!)

I just called Marriott rewards, and the guy told me they haven't been trained on the new rewards program yet, and so couldn't actually tell me how my qualifications would work! Having said that, he confirmed I'm at ~1200 nights & 9 years of Platinum (my points is abysmal because early in my travel career, I was staying at long-term stays that gave pennies in points). So, if my understanding is correct (please help confirm my interpretation)
  1. I have till end of the year to get MR Platinum, which will give me my 10th year, and thus LTPP
  2. Question: Do I need to get MR Platinum by the new or old standards (50 vs 75 nights). I originally assumed "old" standard of 75 nights, but some of the posts above have been confusing me slightly, and reading the FAQ makes me think maybe I only need 50 night???
  3. I admit to not having stayed at Marriott much this year (I wish I knew about these changes in January, I could have planned differently), and so basically need all 75 nights from here on out. That is likely more nights than I will actually need to travel. So I need a way to get more nights.. I'm thinking
    1. Will likely manage to get about 40 actual nights from business travel this year, leaving me likely 35 short
    2. Book meetings (I've never done this, but I've read the other thread... this would work for me to get Platinum this year, right??).
    3. I always forget this... but redeeming points for stay DOES give me elite night credit, right? So a future vacation with points at Marriott hotel.
    4. Sign up for Marriott Rewards credit card (looks like they have a new Premier Plus credit card, but only the old one offers elite night credits in 2018) -- 15 night credit initial, and 1 night per $3k spend, if I read this right ? Looks like this CC is no longer offered?!?!?
    5. If Marriott Platinum still requires 75 nights for this year, while SPG is 50 nights, maybe I switch to SPG to get Platinum to qualify me for 10th year of Platinum? And, SPG is 25 stays or 50 nights, right? So I could stay at a different SPG property Mon, Tues, and Wed night.. making 3 stays in a week? If I was so inclined to...... (Also makes me think of the question... wouldn't it have been easier for 10 years of SPG Platinum vs 10 years of Marriott Platinum them? Because 50-nights is only Marriott Gold.)
    6. Any other option?
  4. TLDR: I need to get 75 nights (or 50? but I believe 75?) this year to get LTPP. Am I right?

Last edited by enthrop; May 11, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
How does one re-associate an old MR membership? I have about 100 nights of MR stays in an old account for an email I no longer have access to. This could almost totally fill my combined gap to 750 nights for LTPP although I will still be a few short it is much more doable.
I just went through this process with my sister. She could not find her MR account number. We were on a three way call with Marriott. The phone agent asked her name and state. She then asked for the address. My sister has lived at the same address for eighteen years but there was nothing that matched. She gave an older address but it didn't match either. The operator then said she had someone with my sister's name in Decatur, GA, but not Atlanta. My sister realized she must have used her work address, it matched and an email was sent to my sister. It seemed like a process the phone agent had done may times before.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by enthrop
  1. I admit to not having stayed at Marriott much this year (I wish I knew about these changes in January, I could have planned differently), and so basically need all 75 nights from here on out. That is likely more nights than I will actually need to travel. So I need a way to get more nights.. I'm thinking
    1. Will likely manage to get about 40 actual nights from business travel this year, leaving me likely 35 short
    2. Book meetings (I've never done this, but I've read the other thread... this would work for me to get Platinum this year, right??).
    3. I always forget this... but redeeming points for stay DOES give me elite night credit, right? So a future vacation with points at Marriott hotel.
1(2): Easy way to load up. I've only run real meetings, but it was SOOOO easy using the options for instant booking (where the price is shown). There is also the option for requesting a quote, but this is a lot more bother.

1(3): The night will post after the stay, so be sure that future vacation is this year.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enthrop
Been reading the last few posts, and I'm also one of the many who are seemingly on the cusp of LTPP (I wish I had 1 more year to work on this!)

I just called Marriott rewards, and the guy told me they haven't been trained on the new rewards program yet, and so couldn't actually tell me how my qualifications would work! Having said that, he confirmed I'm at ~1200 nights & 9 years of Platinum (my points is abysmal because early in my travel career, I was staying at long-term stays that gave pennies in points). So, if my understanding is correct (please help confirm my interpretation)
  1. I have till end of the year to get MR Platinum, which will give me my 10th year, and thus LTPP
  2. Question: Do I need to get MR Platinum by the new or old standards (50 vs 75 nights). I originally assumed "old" standard of 75 nights, but some of the posts above have been confusing me slightly, and reading the FAQ makes me think maybe I only need 50 night???
  3. I admit to not having stayed at Marriott much this year (I wish I knew about these changes in January, I could have planned differently), and so basically need all 75 nights from here on out. That is likely more nights than I will actually need to travel. So I need a way to get more nights.. I'm thinking
    4. Sign up for Marriott Rewards credit card (looks like they have a new Premier Plus credit card, but only the old one offers elite night credits in 2018) -- 15 night credit initial, and 1 night per $3k spend, if I read this right ? Looks like this CC is no longer offered?!?!?
    5. If Marriott Platinum still requires 75 nights for this year, while SPG is 50 nights, maybe I switch to SPG to get Platinum to qualify me for 10th year of Platinum? And, SPG is 25 stays or 50 nights, right? So I could stay at a different SPG property Mon, Tues, and Wed night.. making 3 stays in a week? If I was so inclined to...... (Also makes me think of the question... wouldn't it have been easier for 10 years of SPG Platinum vs 10 years of Marriott Platinum them? Because 50-nights is only Marriott Gold.)
    6. Any other option?
  4. TLDR: I need to get 75 nights (or 50? but I believe 75?) this year to get LTPP. Am I right?
The 50 vs. 75 night question for MR Platinum this year (IF you are going for your 10th Plat year for the one-shot only LTPP) still seems to be a bit up in the air. I am in the exact same boat.

10 years of 25 1-night stays w/SPG would have gotten you SPG Platinum every year, but it would have also left you 250 nights short of LT Plat no rollover, credit card, or meeting room nights allowed either
Old May 11, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JackE
1(2): Easy way to load up. I've only run real meetings, but it was SOOOO easy using the options for instant booking (where the price is shown). There is also the option for requesting a quote, but this is a lot more bother.

1(3): The night will post after the stay, so be sure that future vacation is this year.
Any examples of a property that does the instant booking? Curious as to what it looks like.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any examples of a property that does the instant booking? Curious as to what it looks like.

Here you go it has the reserve button
Old May 12, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
I know this has been asked in multiple formats and versions previously, but I am still unclear. I am already achieved MR Lifetime Gold, so that qualifies me for LT Platinum in the new program. I have enough nights and points (on an apples to apples basis) in SPG that if combined would've put me over the 750 nights / 2MM points on the Marriott side. However as far as I understand that will not happen. I had essentially just given up hope on achieving MR LT Platinum this year because I am too far away nights and points.

HOWEVER

With this latest development, it sounds like I can combine my nights from both programs, and then years at Platinum status in both programs to potentially qualify for LT PP. Does this example make sense? I will be at 750+ nights and 9 years of Platinum. If I wanted to get the 10th year I could shift my stays to Marriott for the rest of the year and ensure that I hit 75 nights. That would put me at 8 years platinum at MR, 2 years at SPG, and a combined 800+ nights.

MARRIOTT REWARDS:
591 nights
7 years platinum

SPG
200 nights
2 years platinum (including this year earned in 2018)
This question has been asked multiple times and Marriott has not clearly answered it yet. This is all we know:

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.
So for all other LT tiers, they will combine LT activity. Nothing has been said as far as LTPP. I imagine we will get an answer soon.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
This question has been asked multiple times and Marriott has not clearly answered it yet. This is all we know:
I posted this in the SPG thread, but my Ambassador DID confirm that exact same scenario, as it's the one I am facing. So I will be doing a Marriott "night run" in H2.

However, what is NOT yet clear is if getting that 10th year of Plat on the "Marriott side" this year will be 75 nights (legacy rules of MR) or 50 nights (new rules).
Old May 12, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Since Marriott only counted nights and points, I never cared about the number of years of Platinum or gold status I had. Once someone qualified for Marriott Platinum, Marriott commonly looked at the number of nights over the last three years. I have many years where I stayed a few nights less than needed for Platinum, comfortable that I would probably keep my Platinum status once the last two years were considered. Alternatively, in a year when I had few Marriott nights, I would only drop to Gold, which wasn't that much different than Platinum. As long as I completed 750 nights and earned 2MM points, it didn't matter to me if it took three years or thirty to do so. Until a few weeks ago, I expected to easily qualify for what will become LTPP in the next year or two.

I
t was reasonable to allow SPG members a comparable path to LTPP. If the requirement had been 10 years of SPG Platinum status and 750 SPG nights, it would have been unrealistic for MR members to expect to earn lifetime status based on combined numbers. Now that it appears that status could be counted across both programs, members who would not have qualified for LTP under the Starwood criteria by the end of this year were given the chance to add at least one year of status to their totals. By providing a path to LTPP that may have benefitted more SPG than Marriott members, whose years of status had been irrelevant for lifetime status, other accommodations might be reasonable.

If nights and years of status are combined in order to achieve LTPP based on 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status, I believe it is unfair not to allow Marriott members who earned 2MM points (not combined) to combine MR and SPG nights in order to reach 750 nights. I was told by a Marriott rep, who added notes to my account, that based on the criteria I outlined (>2MM MR points and >750 combined nights) I will earn LTPP. Although the notes make me feel better, I am not convinced that Marriott will willingly promote me to LTPP.

Last edited by rny321; May 12, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old May 12, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
Here you go it has the reserve button
Awesome, thanks, I am now seeing them w/some extended further searches. Have yet to see any less than $300/day though assuming that's negotiable
Old May 12, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Awesome, thanks, I am now seeing them w/some extended further searches. Have yet to see any less than $300/day though assuming that's negotiable
The rate defaults to a full day rate. If you go in and change the times you will see the rate change. A caution though, watch the time selected as the selections will change if there is any issue, like setting the starting time to be later than the ending time. Yes, it's an error, but no reason to adjust the other time. I've been able to get $300 rates down to $125 for a one hour meeting.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
I crossed 2,000,000 points today and have 898 nights after starting to stay at Marriott’s 5 years ago. The rollover nights and credit cards were great for getting here! I’m glad I did before the years requirement came back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.