Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
TPG has a post supposedly quoting a Marriott representative saying that combined activity will count towards LTPP. Of course, would be nice to see official response.

• Current members of both programs with significant nights/elite status tenure(s): After initially receiving different information, we’ve since received confirmation from a Marriott representative that this new qualification method will look at combined activity across both programs once you combine your accounts in August. As a result, if you’ve already hit the 750-night threshold with a combined 10+ years of Platinum status across the two programs (or are able to reach those two thresholds based on your combined activity by December 31, 2018), you’ll enjoy Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status.

For this last group, here’s the example our Marriott representative provided TPG:“If by 12/31/18 a member has five years Platinum with SPG and 250 nights, and five years Platinum with Marriott Rewards and 500 nights, they qualify [for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status].”

This story has been updated to note that combined activity across both programs will be used to determine qualification for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status through the end of 2018.
If true, I'm seriously debating trying to get 25-stays at SPG this year instead of 75 (or 50) nights at Marriott.

Last edited by enthrop; May 12, 2018 at 9:58 am
Old May 12, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Awesome, thanks, I am now seeing them w/some extended further searches. Have yet to see any less than $300/day though assuming that's negotiable
I had a rate cut in about half at a Reserve hotel when I changed it from full day to 1 hour online. (I only tried one hotel, so I don't know if the amount of reduction is that same at all hotels or not.) But be careful: I changed the start time to 6 pm, then changed the end time to 7 pm, then noticed somehow the start time had changed to 1 pm, so had to change it back to 6 pm, and only then did I get the lower rate.

(I didn't experiment to see how many hours I needed to get what rate. I was interested in the shortest meeting possible, as it's an "unnecessary" meeting.)
Old May 12, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=enthrop;29745917]TPG has a post supposedly quoting a Marriott representative saying that combined activity will count towards LTPP. Of course, would be nice to see official response.

/QUOTE]
If true, the post seems to suggest that Marriott will indeed look at the status rather than the number of nights stayed per year when counting years towards LT. I'd be fairly upset that I could have stayed half the nights (25) per year at Starwoods to get LT Gold vs. at Marriotts. In fact, if those are the rules, I would have qualified as LT Platinum if my history had been with SPG.

Honestly, the number of years at a status is weird anyway. At a certain point, total nights is a much better indicator of a deserving customer than nights per year (for LT Status only). It''s still very odd to me that someone from SPG could get LT Plat in August with only 600 nights, while I (only 1 year at Marriott Platinum and 516 nights, but ~9 at 50+ Gold) would have to accumulate at least 966 nights (50 for next 9 years) to get to LT Plat.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by enthrop
TPG has a post supposedly quoting a Marriott representative saying that combined activity will count towards LTPP. Of course, would be nice to see official response.

If true, I'm seriously debating trying to get 25-stays at SPG this year instead of 75 (or 50) nights at Marriott.
I think that is what the updated version of this is saying:

https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

But combining SPG and MR activity is based on nights and years, not points.
​​​​​​
Old May 12, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GoPhils

​​​​​​
where do you see this?
Old May 12, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enthrop
If you just need one more Plat year, and do a lot of 1 night stays, then that makes a lot of sense.

What that post doesn't yet say is if, one is qualifying for MR Plat this year, is it 75 nights (legacy rules) or 50 nights (new rules as of 8/1)...I've added the question into the SPG wiki for the Lurkers to funnel up the chain.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoPhils

​​​​​​
I think that’s wrong. The website says “Combining accounts will create a single account and profile; and it will combine your points and Elite-night balances — so all your points and nights will work harder for you.”
Old May 12, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
where do you see this?

Originally Posted by getagb
I think that’s wrong. The website says “Combining accounts will create a single account and profile; and it will combine your points and Elite-night balances — so all your points and nights will work harder for you.”
“...In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite Status in the new combined program.”

Then it lists the lifetime levels and for LTPP, says “...Achieve 750 nights and 10 years Platinum Elite by 12/31/18.”

The SPG side has I believe the exact same wording:

​​​​​​​https://members.marriott.com/spg/
Old May 12, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not in a lifetime status section, though. It's just in a general section about combining accounts.

Currently, you can combine SPG points into Marriott, and for redemption it works, but for lifetime points it doesn't work (the lifetime points counter does not go up when you transfer SPG points into Marriott).

So such a statement as you quoted would have to be in a lifetime status section (or spell out lifetime points) to imply that combining will work for lifetime points.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's not in a lifetime status section, though. It's just in a general section about combining accounts.

Currently, you can combine SPG points into Marriott, and for redemption it works, but for lifetime points it doesn't work (the lifetime points counter does not go up when you transfer SPG points into Marriott).

So such a statement as you quoted would have to be in a lifetime status section (or spell out lifetime points) to imply that combining will work for lifetime points.
You might be right, but I think that’s an overly narrow reading of “we will combine your lifetime activity”. It doesn’t say “we will combine your lifetime activity except lifetime points”. I grant that it’s not totally clear though and my interpretation could definitely be wrong.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

You might be right, but I think that’s an overly narrow reading of “we will combine your lifetime activity”. It doesn’t say “we will combine your lifetime activity except lifetime points”. I grant that it’s not totally clear though and my interpretation could definitely be wrong.
... and remember they have stated WE will be asked to merger our accounts. Nothing says what happens to our existing accounts and if we will lose the ability to continue to earn under those rules once merged.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:05 pm

Your lifetime points do get “combined,” just not as it relates to lifetime status in the combined program. I think that is pretty clear with what’s on the site now. But it’s changed once already so it’s possible it changes again.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I think it's time to accept Yes for an answer. Marriott is doing a great job of welcoming SPG members.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:23 am
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
If platinum is the new gold once they combine the programs does that impact how they will count years of status as well? I.e will the years I earned Marriott gold historically count as years platinum now for the new lifetime requirement?
Old May 13, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by bdohmen
If platinum is the new gold once they combine the programs does that impact how they will count years of status as well? I.e will the years I earned Marriott gold historically count as years platinum now for the new lifetime requirement?
Possibly. The Marriott members' website language seems to indicate that, but I've gotten conflicting answers from reps (who admittedly have said they are not yet trained in the specifics of this). It is an important question for a lot of us in determining where we will end up regarding lifetime status. From the website:

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?
We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.