Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Singapore St Regis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 4:26 am

looks like the property has been upgraded to a cat 6 property.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 4:27 am

Mrs. Alliance and I recently completed an award stay for 12k points. It was an outstanding stay - and despite our royal ambassador benefits at the IC the next night we longed for the St. Regis experience we had our first night.

Here are a bunch of photos of the room: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow

We got the wine tasting invite and it sounded like everyone gets it. For one hour each night, you can sample two whites and two reds in their wine cellar.

The butler service is outstanding. Every time we left the room, even for only 10 minutes, our water bottles and towels were replaced. Coffee and tea was free and a phone call away at any hour. They have a DVD collection that your butler will retrieve DVDs from for you. The swimming pool is small, but modern and comfortable.

We had a nice 3hr dinner at the French lobby restaurant with an associate based in SIN. It was pricey but the service was outstanding and the food was good to great. They couldn't find the bottle of wine that we ordered, so they provided complimentary glasses of another wine for us while they confirmed and fetched a replacement bottle.

The lobby buffet breakfast was excellent - with an extensive continental selection that was refreshed every few minutes and a menu of hot items that are cooked in the kitchen to order and brought to your table.

When on business in SIN in the future this will likely be my preferred hotel as long as service levels stay the same or rise. When on vacation, I think I will still lean towards the IC with Royal Ambassador benefits with its substantially lower prices and close proximity to the MRT. At 12k points it was a steal.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I am not a fan of the exterior. Looks like any office tower. The inside is very luxurious though.

Wonderful Platinum treatment. Got a lovely suite twice. Great staff. If you want top notch service can not do much better than this.

Yan Ting (the Chinese Restaurant) is one of the finest Chinese restaurants in Singapore and definitely one of the most elegant. Superb service.

I was extremely disappointed with the breakfast (expensive, small portions and not very good), but when I commented on it in the emailed survey, I got a quick response from one of the senior managers (that I had met during my stay) and I would not be surprised if that has improved by now. I just noticed that they have a buffet breakfast now. That should solve the breakfast issues.

The only thing it is missing is a lounge. That is the one feature I really like about the Ritz Carlton Club floor and the Valley Wing of the Shangri La. When staying at a top hotel, I really like a lounge.

The St. Regis evening wine tasting is too early and does not last long enough (although when I showed up a few minute late, they were very gracious in giving me the tastings in the beautiful wine bar). It is very nice, but no hors d’oeuvres. Even without a lounge, it would be nice to do what some properties do (such as the Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo), where Platinums get free cocktails/beverages in the lobby lounge all day long. At these prices, it really should be included. The Valley Wing (in addition to the hors d'oeuvres and snacks) has champagne all day long.

Last edited by Nevsky; Apr 8, 2008 at 5:37 pm Reason: Breakfast Comment
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
What does the Butler do?

Not long before our stay at the St Regis. I've searched but can't find a lot of information about what the butlers actually do. From what I've found:

Bring Tea/Coffee - I might use this service sometimes, but seeing me first thing in the morning (when I want coffee) might be too much to expect
Do they have coffee making facilities in rooms? I want to be sure, otherwise I'll bring my travel kettle.

Some ironing on first day - I won't use it - I like to iron my own clothes. From what I can see irons/boards are available on request.

Most likely we will have questions about tourist sites, transport etc. But shouldn't we ask the concierge about these?

The St Regis website talks about bespoke service but I can't figure out exactly what that is. Not really a big deal, but I'd be interested to know.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by snufl
Do they have coffee making facilities in rooms? I want to be sure, otherwise I'll bring my travel kettle.
No, they don't. But the butlers will bring you coffee and english breakfast tea whenever you want so I wouldn't worry about bringing it along.

When I called them for my wakeup call they asked me if I would like them to deliver coffee and tea 10 minutes after my wakeup call time. That worked for me.

They replaced the complimentary water bottles and refreshed the room every time we left throughout the day.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Just had to have a look at the foyer this time as everyone's talking about it but it is still the lack of a club lounge and it's the pricing in Australian dollars for less than 24 hours that scared me away. I will pay Hyatt prices but ooch this is just too much for me and of course we get such good treatment at the old Sheraton anyway. Both of these properties have club rooms and you feel you are getting as least value for money, if on an early arrival you have somewhere you can munch and do quick business and to be honest, away from home base, I don't want to feel pressured to dress up all the time, and I barely get away with it as it is. When i go for breakfast at the Sheraton, everyone's in the Singapore business attire, and I am confident that the only reason they tolerate my shorts is that the old colonel says hello to me. regards bkkrop
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:32 pm

Should I cancel my stay at the Singapore St. Regis

I had booked a four night stay at the singapore st. regis, a brand new hotel, but after reading some of tripadvisors reviews I am a little worried.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html

I didn't spend a fortune for the hotel. I got the stay three nights, get fourth free promotion at 650sgd a night including tax and breakfast. (650 x 3 divided by 4) = $488SGD which works out to be $350 usd a night, which is not too bad for a St. Regis.

Now I'm worried the money would be better spent elsewhere. The problem is this is one of the few Singapore hotels that offers two double beds vs. two single beds which is a must as we have three travellers.

Don't get me wrong, I know every start up hotel has its kinks, but it did get me wondering. And to be frank, I dont always trust tripadvisor reviews, but four in a row must have some merit. It does seem like a lovely hotel though.

Any suggestions on whether I should keep reservation or suggestions for a new hotel under $400 per night (usd)

Thanks

faithwins

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 14, 2008 at 7:46 pm Reason: Will be merged into master thread http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784925
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by faithwins
I had booked a four night stay at the singapore st. regis, a brand new hotel, but after reading some of tripadvisors reviews I am a little worried.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html

I didn't spend a fortune for the hotel. I got the stay three nights, get fourth free promotion at 650sgd a night including tax and breakfast. (650 x 3 divided by 4) = $488SGD which works out to be $350 usd a night, which is not too bad for a St. Regis.

Now I'm worried the money would be better spent elsewhere. The problem is this is one of the few Singapore hotels that offers two double beds vs. two single beds which is a must as we have three travellers.

Don't get me wrong, I know every start up hotel has its kinks, but it did get me wondering. And to be frank, I dont always trust tripadvisor reviews, but four in a row must have some merit. It does seem like a lovely hotel though.

Any suggestions on whether I should keep reservation or suggestions for a new hotel under $400 per night (usd)

Thanks

faithwins
You might want to consider Fullerton, Four Seasons or Shangri-La. St. Regis hotel has extremely weak management and I stopped patronizing even bars after about 12-15 bad experiences. Every time they have asked the question - "Is everything OK?", which is quite cool for Singapore, since very few establishments ask it and I was pleasantly surprised. Staff politely listened every time and ... did nothing.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:39 am

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
faithwins I had to smile when I read your post because I, too, have been carefully watching the Tripadvisor reviews. I won't be cancelling my upcoming stay because I got a great deal with points. Thankfully, the reviews/comments on FT have been generally more positive, and some very positive.

The reviews on Tripadvisor seem to have a common theme about unimpressive service, plus several minor issues with electricals etc. As a positive thinker I have convinced myself that the hotel is aware of these issues and everything will be running smoothly for my arrival.
Of course, I might not be quite as positive if I was paying $

I don't know if it will be too late for you, but I'll be there during the last week in April. If I'm able to log on to FT I'll post a report while I'm there.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, SQ PPS
With that rate you can get a much better deal at other 5 star hotels. Although I'm a plat, I prefer to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or Shangri La. IMHO, the Mandarin Oriental has one of the best staff around and makes each guest feel welcomed. With the rate you have, you can get breakfast and Internet included.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
At the rate you're paying, I'd recommend the Conrad with executive lounge access. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but it you are, at least you walk away with a teddy bear.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by pathfinder05
With that rate you can get a much better deal at other 5 star hotels. Although I'm a plat, I prefer to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or Shangri La. IMHO, the Mandarin Oriental has one of the best staff around and makes each guest feel welcomed. With the rate you have, you can get breakfast and Internet included.
I'll second the Mandarin. It's not new but is aging incredibly gracefully and the service is meticulous, prompt, courteous, thorough, warm, friendly, and very genuinely caring. Singapore is the one place thus far I've been that I'll consistently forego SPG just to stay at the Mandarin. It helps that the breakfast buffet (always been included when I've stayed) is PHENOMENAL!!
Old May 4, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I have an upcoming reservation at the St. Regis.

Looking through the web site information, I found an interesting fact:

Let me see if I have this right: I am paying how much again for a room at the St. Regis and I am going to have to pay extra for internet access????

You have got to be kidding me.
Old May 4, 2008, 2:40 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
How is the internet costs for this hotel any different than hotels in the rest of the world?

You could put it the other way... since you're paying so much for your room, you'd be crazy not to add internet for another 30 bucks.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
How is it different from other hotels around the world? Simple. Very few of the hotels around the world are priced at the level of St. Regis hotels.

With rates that high, guests should not be nickle-and-dimed for extras like internet access. It's downright tacky to do so and cheapens the brand name.

When I stay at the Lanesborough in London, I don't get charged extra for internet. At the St. Regis in Shanghai, I don't get charged extra. Since I can get an executive suite at the Four Seasons for the same price of a room at the St. Regis, why should I try the St. Regis and feel ripped off?

That's rhetorical. I won't stay there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.