Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I was beginning to get antsy about my 5K AA bonus miles for the time share presentation, since it had been about 8 weeks. Today they showed up in my account and the good news is that they gave me 10K instead of the 5K I was expecting. Quite happy.
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Even more amazing that they gave you AA miles!

And BTW, when it was SPG pts, they gave out 6,000-10,000 pts, so their offers have really gone downhill.
I agree. Over on the TUGBBS site I haven't seen any posts indicating AA miles were being given for timeshare presentations.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by controller1
I agree. Over on the TUGBBS site I haven't seen any posts indicating AA miles were being given for timeshare presentations.
Just to be clear, it was a targeted invitation. It wasn't something I volunteered to do and then asked about miles.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Just to be clear, it was a targeted invitation. It wasn't something I volunteered to do and then asked about miles.
So that wasn't a typo? It really was AA miles, and not Marriott points? In that case, 10K miles is a heck of a lot better than 10K Marriott pts. ^
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hey guys, I received a targeted mailer from Westin vacation club on this 5D/4N offer for $269.
They are also throwing in 15k points to sweeten the deal. We do have plans to travel to South America during May.
But I had no experience with these vaca club deals before, the fine lines states that Vistana travel is the agent for this package.
I've read a few on blogs saying that there definitely will be a few hours of sales pitch and presentations to attend.

I guess my questions are:
- Is this deal worth it?
- Would my stay be eligible for elite nights/points and receive elite benefits? We are Plat Premier with Marriott, so those free bfast are very valuable for us.
5 Days + 4 Nights in Cancún for only $269
This exclusive offer is only available until
January 18, 2019

Dear Bluestrudels,

You’re invited to experience the beauty of Cancún, Mexico, with a stay at the #1 Westin resort in the world as chosen by U.S. News & World Report.
This ultra-exclusive offer includes: 5 Days + 4 Nights at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, a AAA Four Diamond rated resort
PLUS your choice of 15,000 points from the Starwood Preferred Guest®program OR a $75 Resort Certificate for spa services, dining, shopping or activities during your stay
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Hey guys, I received a targeted mailer from Westin vacation club on this 5D/4N offer for $269.
They are also throwing in 15k points to sweeten the deal. We do have plans to travel to South America during May.
But I had no experience with these vaca club deals before, the fine lines states that Vistana travel is the agent for this package.
I've read a few on blogs saying that there definitely will be a few hours of sales pitch and presentations to attend.

I guess my questions are:
- Is this deal worth it?
- Would my stay be eligible for elite nights/points and receive elite benefits? We are Plat Premier with Marriott, so those free bfast are very valuable for us.
Just an FYI. Your offer is for the Westin Lagunamar, which is a different (much better) hotel than this thread. You may want to copy your post to that thread, or even check if others have received similar offers in that thread (which I suspect they have).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Just an FYI. Your offer is for the Westin Lagunamar, which is a different (much better) hotel than this thread. You may want to copy your post to that thread, or even check if others have received similar offers in that thread (which I suspect they have).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

Wow, thanks for catching this. I wasn't aware that there were 2 Westin properties in Cancun with different names.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:14 pm

First time poster here.

I'm going to this resort soon via the $269 offer.

As someone who has never sat through a timeshare presentation, can anyone shed some light on how intense/not intense it gets? What should we expect? I'm an experienced sayer of 'no' but will the hotel staff turn hostile on us if we refuse to buy the timeshare?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gimpo111
First time poster here.

As someone who has never sat through a timeshare presentation, can anyone shed some light on how intense/not intense it gets? What should we expect? I'm an experienced sayer of 'no' but will the hotel staff turn hostile on us if we refuse to buy the timeshare?
Timeshare people are not hotel staff.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by gimpo111
First time poster here.

Having sat through the presentation at this particular hotel, I can tell you that you will probably meet with three people. The person who does the initial presentation was very nice - just going through the "benefits" of the program and answering questions. Very matter of fact, friendly and low key.

Then they brought a woman for the hard sell. She was very high pressure, and tried to sell us on several lesser options - anything for some kind of sale, I guess. The more we made it clear that we were not interested, the colder she got. Finally, she said in a snide tone, "So, you can do it, you just don't want to." I told her she had it about right.

Then, they'll bring in the "quality control" guy, who is supposedly there to get your impressions of the first two. I praised the first guy and complained about the high pressure technique of the woman and stated it was ironic in light of the fact that it had repeatedly been impressed on us that there was absolutely no obligation. And more attempts to sell us. He was somewhat unpleasant after that. We kidded later that everyone would probably ignore us the rest of the stay.

That said, it was worth it for the 10K miles and the inexpensive vacation and the rest of the staff were all very pleasant throughout the stay.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Stayed here a couple of weekends ago...very last minute 1 night stay (booked morning of), $96. Chose between this and the Marriott, going with the Westin because the room was $20 cheaper and it wasn't clear that the Marriott had a lounge. Reviews here didn't make me particularly optimistic but I was pleasantly surprised. I assume they must be going through some sort of renovation, as we were upgraded to a "studio" (platinum status) which seemed very modern and also had a mini kitchen. Climate control in the room was excellent.

Hotel itself had multiple pools, a louder one ocean side with a pool bar, and a quieter one in the back. Narrow beach area with very nice ocean. Back pool also had a flowrider next to it - they did classes for $35 for one hour (which I can tell you after is far too much time, 30 minutes would be plenty).

Not a lot of conveniences nearby, but a couple of OXXOs and a few restaurants within 10 minutes walk of the front door. Would not hesitate to stay there again.
RafKa likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Stayed here a couple of weekends ago...very last minute 1 night stay (booked morning of), $96. Chose between this and the Marriott, going with the Westin because the room was $20 cheaper and it wasn't clear that the Marriott had a lounge. Reviews here didn't make me particularly optimistic but I was pleasantly surprised. I assume they must be going through some sort of renovation, as we were upgraded to a "studio" (platinum status) which seemed very modern and also had a mini kitchen. Climate control in the room was excellent.

Hotel itself had multiple pools, a louder one ocean side with a pool bar, and a quieter one in the back. Narrow beach area with very nice ocean. Back pool also had a flowrider next to it - they did classes for $35 for one hour (which I can tell you after is far too much time, 30 minutes would be plenty).

Not a lot of conveniences nearby, but a couple of OXXOs and a few restaurants within 10 minutes walk of the front door. Would not hesitate to stay there again.
Did you get lounge access at the Royal Beach Club?
Old May 27, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by RafKa
Did you get lounge access at the Royal Beach Club?
Yes, upon asking at the front desk if platinum status comes with lounge access the front desk agent asked his supervisor who granted us status.
RafKa likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Yes, upon asking at the front desk if platinum status comes with lounge access the front desk agent asked his supervisor who granted us status.
Hi. What is the offering in the club currently? I could not find any recent pictures.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
Hi. What is the offering in the club currently? I could not find any recent pictures.
They definitely had beer, wine, and prosecco. I forget exactly the food offerings, fairly basic, with a couple of deserts. Not bad but certainly not great.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:20 am

Has anyone else noticed that at the club, they do something strange with the "bill?" They "charge" you for things you didn't drink, but it is comped. For example, we might have two glasses of prosecco, but they put four on the bill and then tell you not to worry about it - it's not charged to your room anyway. It's as though someone is making at look as though more liquor is being consumed than is the case and then doing who knows what with the unconsumed liquor (in my suspicious mind, taking it and reselling it outside the hotel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.