Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:08 pm

We used USA Transfers last time, and they were very good. We’ve used the service that has a desk in the Lagunamar before, but they were expensive.

Last year, USA Transfers was 65 USD but they’re asking 85 now. Your $50 rate sounds cheap.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:15 pm

Hi Gora, question about your timeshare presentation requirement. I’ve received an offer for 4 nights at a total of $369, including airport transfers, and 15,000 points or $75 resort cert. There is zero mention of any required timeshare presentation. It sounds as though you may have purchased such an offer and then were offered additional compensation for attending the presentation? Is this the case?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Channel28
Hi Gora, question about your timeshare presentation requirement. I’ve received an offer for 4 nights at a total of $369, including airport transfers, and 15,000 points or $75 resort cert. There is zero mention of any required timeshare presentation. It sounds as though you may have purchased such an offer and then were offered additional compensation for attending the presentation? Is this the case?
That is correct. I was never told in advance about a timeshare, just that it was a promotional package although I assumed they would try to sell me one when I was there. I do not remember the price, but it was 4 nights, included airport transfers and I believe it had $75 credit (I was not offered points as an option). Only when I arrived was I offered an extra $100 in credit and free breakfasts if I attended the presentation. I am not exactly certain on the dollar credit amounts, but I think that is correct as I did have two separate vouchers, suggesting one was offered with the original package and the other with the timeshare presentation. Of course I was skeptical about the entire thing, but it all worked out in the end and was one of those too good to be true offers that actually worked out. Would I do it again for $369? In a heartbeat.

Incidentally, after the presentation, they did say that most people turn them down the first and second and even third times. They did offer me a second similar package at the end of the presentation to attend another 4 nights at the Lagunamar property, but I think the cost was just shy of $1000. I turned that down. I have not heard back from them about attending again at either property.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:43 pm

Super helpful- thank you!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:25 pm

I should also add that money in Cancun is not the same as anywhere I've been. When I arrived I exchanged dollars to pesos as I normally do. Afterward, I found that the dollar is the dominant currency. Prices often will be posted in dollars and if you pay in pesos, you will be charged more. For instance, we booked a tour to Chichen Itza. As part of the tour we did have to purchase entry tickets, which the tour guide had purchased in advance so we didn't have to wait in line to purchase tickets. The rate given was in USD which was about 10% more than if you bought them in pesos at the gate. But if you wanted to pay him in pesos, he converted this USD amount back to pesos, charging an additional ~10%. Also, the costs for items in Cancun are MUCH higher than they are anywhere else in Mexico and at the resorts, even higher. That $175 resort credit doesn't go nearly as far as you think it should, but it is still nice to have. We took to calling them monopoly dollars. In some cases costs seem quite arbitrary. Yscleo notes that the price for breakfasts was 948pesos for 2p; whereas, we paid 300 pesos apiece. I noticed inconsistencies like this with others we interacted with at the resort. Of course, if they're going to comp breakfasts anyway, it doesn't matter if they charge 100 pesos or 100,000 pesos. It comes out to be free in the end. It does make you wonder. In the end, we did have a really nice time and quite inexpensively as vacations go.
Channel28 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
I don't know if emailing with concierge helped with elite upgrade. In fact the concierge may not have communicated with the FD, because after several emails the concierge still did not answer my question about late checkout, or if breakfast is comp'ed for Plat.

At check-in, just politely ask if there's upgrade available for elite.

One thing the concierge did help was they asked if I wanted to book through them, with "The One" for airport transfers. I did sign up, for shared shuttle, at US$50/2p roundtrip. This was the best price, although at the Cancun airport we didn't find a person holding sign Westin Resorts & Spa Cancun (as per the instruction). We eventually asked the guy holding sign Westin Lagunamar, and he said he is the one. We also had to wait because all other people waiting around him were for Lagunamar and he took care of all of them first (got 2 vehicles, brought them there), before getting a vehicle for us.
Our stay at the Westin Cancun Resort and Spa was lovely. As a Bonvoy Platinum, we also received a room upgrade at check in (didn't even have to ask) - an ocean-facing high floor with a balcony. They also gave us the choice of free breakfast or points at check in, and the breakfast was excellent.

yscleo and flockavelliFT have covered all recent stay details very well above, so I won't try to provide a comprehensive review. But the Bonvoy elite benefits were well respected at this property, and the staff were very accommodating overall.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
My stay at Westin Cancun Resort was actually very disappointing
- Room smells like paint
- Windows were so dirty
- Rust in a lot of places
- Chips and cracks along all the corner areas of the furniture
- Water leakage when you open the water faucet
- Broken bathtub plug means water constantly drains
- One broken elevator and independent lift control of the other two functioning lift means long waits
- Food at Arena Sports Bar was expensive and quality was so-so
- Poolside swim up bar does not offer complimentary water and you need to pay for a bottle water

However
- I didn't get any of the timeshare sales pitch on TripAdvisor reviews
- Breakfast buffet was amazing with lots of hot options
- Pool and beach and landscapes were beautiful
- Service was very good
- Housekeeping service was very thorough
- There were maintenance issues in my unit (air conditioning didn't work in the bedrooms, and also slow water drainage in the showers) but it was quickly dealt with with a phone call

Within hours, I immediately paid extra to switch to the timeshare apartments (Westin Resort Villas) instead of the hotel. They are the same property and share the same elevators, just a different part of the building. It is MUCH nicer, modern and renovated. I highest suggest booking the villas instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.