Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:29 am

smokie : move to Hyatt your bookings, much better hotels than SPG in Cancun.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by smokie
Property seems to have blocked all RBC room redemptions on points in 2019...

I have reached out to multiple Platinum Concierges and none can find any availability of anything except basic rooms and Jr suites.

Anyone have any different experiences?
That could mean one of three things:

1- RBC rates haven’t been loaded for 2019. Are cash rates available?
2- They’ll start renovating RBC from 2019
3- They will discontinue RBC
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Yes - cash rates available for RBC rooms.

Only rooms available on points in 2019 are Standard rooms, and Jr Suites (14k per night). Checked all dates in 2019.

From my past stay, and advice on this thread, it seems that RBC rooms are vastly preferable, so may have to abandon my efforts to stay here one last time before the reclassification.

Have any Plats stayed here, and NOT been upgraded to RBC?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Yes! A few earlier reviews Platinum upgrade is not to be expected here. I got sweet nothing on my stay in March (post 463)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:32 am

Called today - no RBC availability still for 2019. Agent wasn't certain as to why
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Staying here now, so I'll post a few notes randomly:

- booked 1 night BRG standard room prior to 5 night RBC redemption. Rezzies weren't merged. Was upgraded from regular room to RBC lagoon room.

- Plats get breakfast at RBC. For full breakfast you now have to surrender the 500pts. Because El Palmar is under renovations, it is temporarily served at Sea & Stones so I passed.

- RBC happy hour: did not really notice significant change for worse. Margaritas and Pina coladas have always been bottom shelf pre mixed, so no downgrade in quality. Beer and sparking wine drinkable. Food: I actually wasn't too bothered about the change to plated snacks. Quality seems to have improved. How many low quality mini pizzas to you really need to fill up on from a buffet? The servers will gladly bring you an extra plate, and desserts are still on the buffet (where you still see guests loading up their tiny plates with 15-tall stacks of cakes, so perhaps the changes were justified.

- Reno's still ongoing. On the website the rendering shows all buildings have balconies where in reality currently only 1/3 have had them added. If that's the intention it means the resort will see continuing works for another 1-2 years.

- Asked for upgrade to a villa (studio or 2 bedroom). Was told they're not part of Plat upgrade pool, and an upgrade fee would apply. I didn't really push at this stage because I was happy enough with my sea facing RBC room.

- attended timeshare presentation. Offered 8k bit really got them to bump up to 10k. Sales pitch not too high pressure at all, kept to 90 mins and I must say the fees seemed reasonable ($16k + $760 maintenance) for 7 nts in a 1 bedroom + 60k SPG pts incentive bonus.

- kids club really nice, but prices are absolutely outrageous considering it's basically a games room (200 pesos for 1h; 600 for 4h incl lunch; 1100 full day including lunch).

- for those who know this property, not much has changed. However, this is exactly the problem: at 7k pts this is fairly priced, at the new category is just not worth it anymore...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RafKa
. . .
- kids club really nice, but prices are absolutely outrageous considering it's basically a games room (200 pesos for 1h; 600 for 4h incl lunch; 1100 full day including lunch).
Wow! I don't consider those prices outrageous. 600 pesos for 4 hours including lunch equates to about $7.50 USD per hour.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Wow! I don't consider those prices outrageous. 600 pesos for 4 hours including lunch equates to about $7.50 USD per hour.
Reasonable cost if we were in the US... But this is Mexico, where the 1 lounge attendant present won’t get paid anywhere near $7.50/hour. Also, the full day charge equates to almost the full cost of a base room here. Anyway, I’m guilty of hyperbole, but coming from a non-USD country I thought the charges were mean for me to sit in a (admittedly nice) room for 1h while my toddler played with some Lego. Perhaps I’m naive, but I was expecting a Kids Club to be a free service (with perhaps a nominal charge for dumping your kids there the whole day). Most other parents seemed to feel that way, as they would quickly leave once informed about the charges.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm thinking about a 2 night stay at the end of Sept, and given the renovations going on, was concerned with what is and isn't open. The rates seem incredibly cheap (ie: US$ 126 for RBC), but is that due to the construction or time of the year (not sure). The last time I stayed here was over 3 years ago, and service was meh.... Lately I've been staying at the Hyatt Ziva, and yes I know this is a far cry amenity-wise from that property, but can't beat the price. Any recent comments ? Just one person, looking for a bit of peace & quiet.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:38 am

$126 for RBC is a steal. The low price is obviously due to hurricane season (Sept-Oct).

I was there early in July. The only construction still going on is the by El Palmar restaurant. Not noisy at all when I was there, and the main pool (non-RBC) and the lagoon pool actually look very nice. All building works were supposed to be finished by late August, so that might not be an issue at all for you.

RBC happy hour got a little stingier with the food, but the staff is really nice and keep everyone topped up. Alcohol is obviously bottom shelf, but I found the sparkling wine to be ok. Breakfast was great, with made to order eggs, chilaquiles, etc.

If you can handle the uncertain weather, I'd say go for it - it's not worth the points in a new Cat 5, but this cash rate is only a little more than the Aloft.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Totally agree. I paid double that for a dismal non-RBC room in March and got nothing extra. Book it with low expectations and you’ll have a great time.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:03 am

Thanks for the input, I've been there before during this time period (Aug- Oct) previously, and have generally lucked out weather wise. I was more concerned about restaurants being closed, pools affected etc, but yes the rate seem incredible, Hyatt is charging $330 per night for Club room single and since its only 2 nights, I may opt for the Westin once again.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I just completed a short 2 night stay at a very attractive BRG rate. First off, don't know what I was thinking about going to Cancun during hurricane season! It rained most of my second day there.

At check-in I was offered a renovated ocean front room in the RBC building, or a non-renovated suite in the other building. (Apparently there are no suites in the RBC.) I chose the ocean facing room, but by 4 pm, I realized that was a mistake. There was no rain the first day but the wind was howling and these buildings are not air tight the way they are in colder climes. I knew the noise would keep me up all night so I asked to change to the lagoon facing suite. Even though it wasn't renovated, I thought the suite was fine. I was on the 6th floor, so had a huge balcony. Surprisingly, the bathroom was no larger in the suite than a regular room, and they still have that tiny shower stall.

(Funny side story: When I took the elevator to my room the following day, it kept stopping on the 5th floor. I tried several times to go down and go back up and it wouldn't go beyond the 5th floor. Annoyed, I got off and called on the phone next to the elevator to report that it was broken, and then headed off down the hallway to find some stairs. Turns out I was on the 6th floor. The LED number in the elevator was burnt out in the bottom left corner. When you remove that, the 6 becomes a 5. Duh.)

Las Palmar is closed for renovations, so I decided to just have breakfast in the lounge, which was fine. (I would have to give up the welcome amenity for buffet breakfast.) Evening drinks/appetizers were disappointing. The offerings were cheap even though they did vary them on my 2 nights. They also only offer beer and wine now. In the past, there was a cocktail menu plus a featured drink of the day. I'm in Mexico. They should offer margaritas if nothing else! The evening hours have changed from 5-7 pm to 4-6 pm. I suspect this is because of the closure of Las Palmar because I really felt like I was given the bum's rush at 6 pm as they started setting up for dinner.

This lounge also insists on getting you to sign a zero balance bill. The breakfast bill just says "breakfast included" but the evening bill shows a charge of 200 pesos for the food and 150 pesos/glass of wine which is then discounted by 100%. They're adamant that you have to sign this bill presumably so you can leave a tip. I find this very annoying.

Hotel offers MAGC and the card in the room still says 250 SPG/pts per night. (I used to get 500 pts/night even though the card said 250.)

I was approached to do a time share presentation and I was interested in seeing the new rooms/villas. I was initially offered 17,500 Marriott points. I asked for a bit more (was thinking more like 25K pts). Agent said he would follow up and let me know. Different agent said they could do 8000 SPG pts which I accepted. Then I got a voice mail in my room asking me to come down where a third agent said a mistake had been made and the best they could do was 20K Marriott pts. I accepted this, but when she realized I was traveling alone, she said the offer would only be 10K Marriott points. At this point I said no thanks.

This is my 10,000th post on FT!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
This is my 10,000th post on FT!
Congrats!

Sad to hear it's been steadily going downhill... I won't be returning again.

I was here as recently as July, and they were still serving cocktails at the RBC lounge. They offered me 8k Starpoints for the timeshare presentation, but I managed to get it up to 10k.

Between the 66% increase in points, and these "enhancements" I can't really justify staying here purely on the basis of a great value holiday.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by RafKa; Sep 12, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:09 pm

Thanks for the updates, I posted on TripAdvisor and asked about the change in RBC Lounge policy and got a response that no change had occurred, but they are following SPG/Marriott policy now. I guess that means no cocktails? She also told me that there is only one restaurant open (Sports Bar), along with the RBC Lounge, but that the renovations shouldn't disturb my visit? I had cancelled my Hyatt Ziva reservation for this much cheaper option, but now am having second thoughts. I did a prepaid $ 126 RBC rate, but am seeing just about everyone is getting the upgrade, and as Platinum, I will not be upgraded any further. I'll be there this Tues, and weather is expected to be ok, so hopefully I'll get some sun and be able to relax. At least I know about the issues in advance and thus shouldn't have any more surprises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.