Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:00 pm

We just back from Cancun and next time I will choose Hyatt properties than SPG, sorry ...
We was at 4points, Aloft, Westin Lagunamar, Westin Cozumel and I cancel our stay at Westin Resort&Spa we extended our Cozumel stay.
And yes, we take Timeshare selling )) and wonder who can sign such a contract as they propose ?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:08 am

Anybody ever have issues with making drinks in the room and bringing them out to the beach? I don't mind paying for some drinks but it would be nice to save some money if possible.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Never had an issue with drinks from the room. There is a circle K just down the road from the Westin (maybe 300-400 metres) and I would do a daily run for Corona and bring it back - put it in a cooler bag, load it with ice, and bring it on the beach. Once a day I'd buy some food and maybe a margarita from the servers who never otherwise bothered me.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson
SPG won't say, but playing around with the booking engine it looks pretty full throughout. Website is still showing me in a "Lagoon Room" which I booked. Evening drinks could be the dealbreaker here; does the hotel ever give RBC access for guests in a non-RBC room?
Unfortunately the answer is "maybe". A couple of years ago they stated that their policy had changed that you must be in the RBC to get RBC benefits. That said there was always a Plat reception area in the main restaurant and Plat's always got breakfast.

So the last few times I've been here I always pay the extra 1,500 points/night to get an RBC room.

With all the construction going on their policy may have changed (or it also may depend on occupancy).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Mozzarella
So the last few times I've been here I always pay the extra 1,500 points/night to get an RBC room.
Just to clarify: this means you book an RBC room for 8,500pts, as opposed to booking a standard room for cash and then upgrading to RBC for 1,500pts/night? I tried doing the latter but was told if couldn't be done.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Apparently the latter can be done, via SPG, but only if inventory is available. (I think the website only lets you book the standard room for 7,000 pts). The hotel itself will not do it.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
Just to clarify: this means you book an RBC room for 8,500pts, as opposed to booking a standard room for cash and then upgrading to RBC for 1,500pts/night? I tried doing the latter but was told if couldn't be done.
I've always booked with points - never with cash. A bargain because its a Cat 3 property. So instead of 7,000 points/night I call the SPG call center and pay 8,500 for RBC.

I'm not sure if you can pay cash and then "upgrade" using points to RBC.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I've always booked with points - never with cash. A bargain because its a Cat 3 property.
I disagree somewhat: you can often find cash prices/BRGs for around $110 for entry level rooms. RBC on the other hand start around $269 and above, so while booking RBC rooms on points is a "bargain" at 3+ cts/point , the same is not the case for entry level rooms at 1.5 cts/pt.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:02 pm

Never had an issue with drinks from the room. There is a circle K just down the road from the Westin (maybe 300-400 metres) and I would do a daily run for Corona and bring it back - put it in a cooler bag, load it with ice, and bring it on the beach. Once a day I'd buy some food and maybe a margarita from the servers who never otherwise bothered me.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Any idea on liquor stores in the area? I'm not exactly sure what to search in Google maps, as I don't know what types of stores sell liquor down there. I guess stopping on the way to the hotel or at duty-free might be an option.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:07 pm

I disagree somewhat: you can often find cash prices/BRGs for around $110 for entry level rooms. RBC on the other hand start around $269 and above, so while booking RBC rooms on points is a "bargain" at 3+ cts/point , the same is not the case for entry level rooms at 1.5 cts/pt.
As always, it depends when you go. I tend to go around New Years which is far more expensive....and I always prefer RBC.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsl_313
Awesome, thanks for the info. Any idea on liquor stores in the area? I'm not exactly sure what to search in Google maps, as I don't know what types of stores sell liquor down there. I guess stopping on the way to the hotel or at duty-free might be an option.
I might be wrong but I think the convenience stores sell tequila and some basic liquor (e.g. rum). That said, being Canadian we always stop at duty free and buy a bottle of Canadian whisky on the way down.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jsl_313
There are no shops between the airport and the Westin (as the Westin sits at the bottom of the hotel zone, nearest to the airport). There's a very good high-end supermarket at Kukulkan Plaza stocking all sorts of liquor, beer and snacks (which are good to stock on for enjoying on the RBC balcony). A bus will take 5-10 mins door to door and you can take a cab back to avoid trudging the groceries. A trip to the mall is also a good way to "escape" from the restaurants at the Westin (the restaurant inside the souvenir shop was surprisingly good and had good local craft beer).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Yours is a tricky dilemma. I'm suprised the place is so full in March, which is not usually very high season. Is there an event or early spring break going on?
Turns out the place was full because of renovations; it seems the hotel is being converted into mostly timeshare so regular guests don't seem to be a priority anymore. In short (points stay, with no RBC rooms available):

* No upgrade (got lowest-category main block room facing the road, no balcony)
* No welcome pack/note/resort map
* No bottled water in room (we got one, instead of the requested two, after the second night)
* No late check out
* Hotel’s pre-booked, prepaid airport pickup was a no-show and couldn’t be contacted
* After asking, we got access to the Royal Beach Club for afternoon cocktails
* Charged for WiFi, removed from bill on request
* Room was the noisiest I’ve ever stayed in; deafening AC unit and the tiled floors meant you could hear every word, every footstep in the surrounding rooms; was woken most nights by noise
* Room wasn’t cleaned before 4pm on any day
* Beach/pool area ran out of towels on the weekend

Platinum guests get a free tote bag with the resort’s logo on it and the word “platinum”. Even this comes with a string because you must collect it from a concierge who then tries to upsell various tours and activities. If you don’t collect it, they call the room repeatedly asking why you haven’t been down.

The refurbished communal areas actually look great, especially the outdoor bar and restaurant, and clearly there has been a lot of turd-polishing. Renovations were much in evidence but not noisy at all. I sneaked a peak into the timeshare rooms being finished and they look really nice, with kitchenette areas.

The spacious, clean and safe beach was a huge bonus; I appreciated being at the quieter end of the strip, and the bus stop is so convenient.

Make a Green Choice was available.

Have to say I wasn't blown away by the Royal Beach Club in the evenings; it was crowded and the canapés are rationed so each guest gets one pre-prepared plate typically featuring two spring rolls, some kind of cake or biscuit, and a bit of salad, none of it good. You certainly couldn’t eat here in lieu of a light dinner. Staff were very generous with the drinks, rushing around keeping everyone topped up, however the quality of the wine was abysmal (and I’ve freeloaded some terrible wine in my time) and the cocktails came out of premixed supermarket catering tubs.

The guest service manager introduced himself on the second night as the go-to person to fix any problems but we never saw or heard from him again except for an automated email after we checked out. During checkout, the girl asked if we’d had a good stay; when I replied that it was pretty average she couldn’t even bring herself to say anything at all, not even “sorry to hear that”. I think that sums things up here.

We just wanted sand, sun and lazy relaxation and we mostly got that and did not let the shortcomings spoil a great vacation ^ I’d return if the rate was lower than $110 or 5,000 points per night or if I could guarantee a Royal Beach Club room.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I called Westin today to complete the $269 deal (coincidentally, they had left a message for me earlier in the day) because the dates I wanted (November, 2018) were not available when I made the deposit. They had told me that those dates would be available in March. Today, they told me those rooms should be available for booking in May.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
I'll be here for a 4 night stay (timeshare deal) at the end of March. Will report back as I'm Plat, not expecting much and sitting through a timeshare sell will get me 5k points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.