Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I stayed here earlier this year for 3 nights. Booked an Express Deal on Priceline and knew it was the Westin, and wasn't expecting an upgrade.

At check-in (which was super efficient) they upgraded me to the Ambassador Suite, and apologized that the Presidential Suite wasn't available.

They did not include club access, but the suite was in the RBC tower of the hotel. They did offer the option to buy club access, but our eating at the hotel mainly consisted of drinks and snacks out on the beach, which were actually quite tasty and reasonable.

The only way the construction interfered for RBC guests is if you rent a car and have to navigate the maze that is sometimes created when most of the work is happening during the day. Besides that, there were zero service interruptions, and I really enjoyed my stay. One of the most professional yet friendly Westins I've stayed at, especially given how low my rate was (compared to the lowest standard rate on SPG.com).

Just curious your SPG status. Is it Platinum? or Gold?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
If you call customer service they can assist with the points upgrade to an RBC room. Think it was something like 1500 a night.
I called the customer service and asked about RBC room, they said the point I need to book the room was 14,000 points per night, which is a double of the standard room.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I called the customer service and asked about RBC room, they said the point I need to book the room was 14,000 points per night, which is a double of the standard room.
I booked a RBC room yesterday from Jan2-7. Was 8,500 points a night which is a 1,500 point surcharge over a standard 7K Cat 3 nightly charge. Could it be that you were quoted a higher rate because standard RBC lagoon rooms were sold out during the period you wanted?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mozzarella
I booked a RBC room yesterday from Jan2-7. Was 8,500 points a night which is a 1,500 point surcharge over a standard 7K Cat 3 nightly charge. Could it be that you were quoted a higher rate because standard RBC lagoon rooms were sold out during the period you wanted?
i think what you described is exactly what happened to me because they said that inventory of the rooms in RBC are very limited.

8500 points for a room in RBC is great value. I wish there was a availability for my dates..
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Has anyone dealt with possible refunds of timeshare offers regarding construction? I received the five-day $299 offer and I'm just a little concerned about visiting the hotel if the restaurants/pools etc are still under construction in mid-February.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by steveholt
Has anyone dealt with possible refunds of timeshare offers regarding construction? I received the five-day $299 offer and I'm just a little concerned about visiting the hotel if the restaurants/pools etc are still under construction in mid-February.
- I just stayed in Westin Cancun (or Westin Regina as locals would call it) in the first week of October. Booked the lowest rate using SPG BRG. As SPG PLT was upgraded to RBC on 7th floor with room facing towards ocean/Club Med. Only RBC tower was open and all the main building and the main swimming pool were under construction. I was told by the front desk that the construction was going slower than they wish.
Despite the construction, the noise was essentially non-existent on the RBC club side and pool area. Only the first floor restaurant in the RBC tower was open for breakfast and happy hrs. The same restaurant also served to regular customers.
Occupancy was low.
I was very pleased with the stay.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- I just stayed in Westin Cancun (or Westin Regina as locals would call it) in the first week of October. Booked the lowest rate using SPG BRG. As SPG PLT was upgraded to RBC on 7th floor with room facing towards ocean/Club Med. Only RBC tower was open and all the main building and the main swimming pool were under construction. I was told by the front desk that the construction was going slower than they wish.
Despite the construction, the noise was essentially non-existent on the RBC club side and pool area. Only the first floor restaurant in the RBC tower was open for breakfast and happy hrs. The same restaurant also served to regular customers.
Occupancy was low.
I was very pleased with the stay.
Thanks. And has anyone had any issues with the Vistana offers and arriving after midnight? My flight's set to land at 1 AM into Cancun, and while that shouldn't typically be an issue, Vistana's basically saying if I don't arrive before midnight, the hotel will give away my room.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Reach out to them on Facebook. they are very responsive
steveholt likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Reach out to them on Facebook. they are very responsive
- I haven't try facebook but the front desk and servers at the restaurant/lounge were very responsive and accommodating.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
Advice

I am planning an upcoming stay around new year. I was told by the hotel that the only pool open is the RBC pool but they would grant me access to the RBC pool if the construction was still on.

I am booking two rooms and will request SNA for one of them. (None of the SNA options include an RBC suite). As a platinum, I heard mixed reviews about complimentary upgrades so I am not expecting much for around new year.

Should I pay for RBC for both rooms? I am afraid that if I upgrade a room to RBC, then it would prevent requesting or clearing the SNA upgrade. If that SNA clears, doesn't a suite guarantee RBC access? How about my PLT status? Would it kick in for the main room.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:25 pm

The problem with this hotel is that there are very few rooms with balconies unless you are in the RBC area. I have been lucky to always be upgraded but that was several years ago. When I go on vacation to a beach resort I ALWAYS want a balcony and couldn't imagine not having one.......in the morning, evening etc.,
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by badm96
I am planning an upcoming stay around new year. I was told by the hotel that the only pool open is the RBC pool but they would grant me access to the RBC pool if the construction was still on.
t
I am booking two rooms and will request SNA for one of them. (None of the SNA options include an RBC suite). As a platinum, I heard mixed reviews about complimentary upgrades so I am not expecting much for around new year.

Should I pay for RBC for both rooms? I am afraid that if I upgrade a room to RBC, then it would prevent requesting or clearing the SNA upgrade. If that SNA clears, doesn't a suite guarantee RBC access? How about my PLT status? Would it kick in for the main room.
Do what you gotta do to get Royal Beach Club. Perhaps what Platinum will get you is ocean view rather than lagoon. RBC balconies are the best thing about this hotel. The balconies are spacious, covered and have very comfortable armchairs. It is like having an outdoor living room with a beautiful view.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
Terrible spg property

Just checked in last night and I have to say that this property is terrible, probably has the worst staff I have encountered in a long time.
Hardly any platinum recognition. No upgrade: booked ocean view and received ocean view.
I contacted the hotel about the construction and was promised royal beach club pool access but since the construction was over, they took that back. So far, not a big deal but a cheap move.
The breakfast conversation was more disappointing to say the least.
They sent me an email explaining that I do have access to the RBC club but at check in, they explained that it was limited to myself and one guest for Continental breakfast only. My 7 year old daughter can not access the lounge (What is she supposed to do when we go to eat breakfast?). I decided to use my platinum welcome amenity for breakfast and that is when things got really interesting. She said that the breakfast amenity replaces the RBC ACCESS and thus I cannot go into the lounge. I tried to talk to her manager for explanation but got the same “I don’t care attitude “
In fact, he offered to connect my to the spg platinum line for free once I am in my room (taunting me to escalate). The staff want to make you feel like you owe them for staying there.
I thought really hard about leaving on the spot but their redicilous $1500 cancellation penalty stopped me.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:12 pm

hymmm, I have BRG rate fort this hotel in middle February ... maybe better to look at different place to stay 3 nights. Why not access to lounge if you are Platinum ?!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:25 am

I'm considering stacking 3 nights at the Westin along with 2 nights at the Hyatt Zilara. The value seems great for 3 nights, but I'm wondering how great the dining and drinking options are. It seems like the Westin is kind of isolated... am I going to end up eating at the same restaurant for all of my meals or is it easy to get to a few other decent places?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.