Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RafKa
Does that mean they are now holding timeshare presentations at this property? Would be awesome not to have to travel to the Lagunamar for the 10k points.
Yes. And it's a package in addition to the points, and they allowed more than 10K if you didn't use everything in the package.

However I did find the sell at the end too hard for my tastes and they had too many unknowns about the future of the property, plus the HOA fees were too high. But the setup is right off the lobby of this Westin now too.
RafKa likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I called the SPG Concierge to book the RBC Room with Points and the response I got was such a thing does not exist. The Agent sent an email to the Concierge at this Westin and she replied back saying the same thing (that I cannot book the RBC room on points and that I can pay for the same at 50% discount to upgrade if I wished).
But, she did say that I will always be eligible to use the RBC facilities (Breakfast and Cocktail hours) for 2 Adults even when I have NOT booked the RBC Room.
We are a family of 4 people (2 Adults + 2 Kids) and so I am not sure how that works. I have asked her whether the kids will be allowed for Breakfast?

Should I still try to get another agent to book the RBC Room for 8500 Points per night considering I already have been confirmed access to the same. Are there any other benefits that you can thin of with the RBC Rooms (apart from Breakfast and Cocktails in the evening)?
Yes, I would call again. Unless something has drastically changed over the past few weeks, this person doesn't seem to know what they're talking about.

As far as RBC benefits go: Cocktails are just OK and the breakfast is great. All of the rooms include a balcony whereas most of the non-RBC rooms do not (they are adding balconies). I would say that the upgrade was worth it for my fiance and I just based on the breakfast and balcony. The cocktails sounded like an interesting perk but we brought our own drinks out to the beach with us anyway, so it wasn't like we were paying $8 for each drink.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I’m treating my upcoming stay in July as a last hurrah before this becomes a Cat 5, at which point it won’t really make much sense to spend points here at the equivalent of 10,000 – 13,333 SPG points in low/high season. I can't imagine how many points they will be charging for RBC but based on the current extra 1.5k, 15-20k low/high season (45-60k Starriott) would be prob a starting point.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Has anyone had luck getting a SNA approved at this hotel?

I just turned Platinum and have the option to choose the 10 SNAs or 1 Free Night and still contemplating which way to go.
I have a 5 night stay coming up at this hotel and would like to choose the SNAs only if they have a chance of getting approved as I don't have any other personal trips planned for the near future.
Can someone comment on their experience?
Old May 17, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I don’t think this is the kind of property where suite/non-suite wouldn’t make a great deal of difference compared to RBC room versus non-RBC.
You absolutely do do not want to stay here in a non-RBC room; it’s terrible, not even worth the current rates still less a higher category.

As mentioned above, this hotel seems to have weakened on always giving RBC to Platinums as my experiences would confirm.

For Platinums who can’t get RBC you can take either main breakfast or RBC breakfast. You won’t want to traipse to the RBC just to get breakfast. The main breakfast is much easier. On the other hand, this property charges you the Platinum amenity for taking the main breakfast which I think is mean.

Get RBC booked in advance, or book somewhere else.
RafKa likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I just turned Platinum and have the option to choose the 10 SNAs or 1 Free Night and still contemplating which way to go.
I have a 5 night stay coming up at this hotel and would like to choose the SNAs only if they have a chance of getting approved as I don't have any other personal trips planned for the near future.
Can someone comment on their experience?
I was upgraded to a Jr suite using a SNA. My buddy who is also a platinum got the presidential suite during the same time w/o using a SNA. Last stay there I got a Jr suite without a SNA. I view it as a huge waste here
Old May 19, 2018, 11:07 pm

Does this property allow for an all inclusive option for award stay? In another word, can I pay to add all inclusive option for the stay booked with points?
Old May 20, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Does this property allow for an all inclusive option for award stay? In another word, can I pay to add all inclusive option for the stay booked with points?
There are no all inclusive options available at this property
Old May 20, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
There are no all inclusive options available at this property
Thanks!
Old May 21, 2018, 10:27 am

The main building should be quite a bit better after they renovate/add balconies. They are also converting some rooms to 2 bedroom suites, which is potentially a great upgrade.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:41 pm

I called the SPG Concierge to book the RBC Room with Points and the response I got was such a thing does not exist. The Agent sent an email to the Concierge at this Westin and she replied back saying the same thing (that I cannot book the RBC room on points and that I can pay for the same at 50% discount to upgrade if I wished).
But, she did say that I will always be eligible to use the RBC facilities (Breakfast and Cocktail hours) for 2 Adults even when I have NOT booked the RBC Room.
We are a family of 4 people (2 Adults + 2 Kids) and so I am not sure how that works. I have asked her whether the kids will be allowed for Breakfast?

Should I still try to get another agent to book the RBC Room for 8500 Points per night considering I already have been confirmed access to the same. Are there any other benefits that you can thin of with the RBC Rooms (apart from Breakfast and Cocktails in the evening)?
Do you have contact info for the concierge at the property? I too am having trouble getting the RBC rooms
Old May 22, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by horns78232
Do you have contact info for the concierge at the property? I too am having trouble getting the RBC rooms
OP was referring to the SPG Plat concierge. Many don’t seem to know how to book specialty rooms like RBC. It could be the fact that RBC redemptions are sold out for your dates, so try to play around with dates so that at least the concierge sees that they exist.

Getting the hotel involved is of no help, and at best they’ll offer to upgrade you for a fee (the amount is somewhere upthread).
Old May 22, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by RafKa

OP was referring to the SPG Plat concierge. Many don’t seem to know how to book specialty rooms like RBC. It could be the fact that RBC redemptions are sold out for your dates, so try to play around with dates so that at least the concierge sees that they exist.

Getting the hotel involved is of no help, and at best they’ll offer to upgrade you for a fee (the amount is somewhere upthread).
The hotel is useless to contact. They offered me a $400 per night upgrade to one of the specialty (non newly renovated) suites and upon arrival it was a free upgrade (probably an exception and not the rule based on occupancy)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by bizaro86
The main building should be quite a bit better after they renovate/add balconies. They are also converting some rooms to 2 bedroom suites, which is potentially a great upgrade.
I saw no evidence of this on my recent stay, upthread. Renovated rooms are for timeshare guests. Other main building rooms were pretty terrible, with very noisy non-controllable a/c and very poor sound insulation from neighboring rooms, not to mention the ongoing renovations noise. I would reiterate that anyone who cannot confirm an RBC upgrade iin advance should cancel and stay elsewhere. Hands-down the worst resort room I've had in Starwood. This property will make no effort to upgrade you if you haven't been upgraded in advance.

As RafKa said, trying to contact the property directly is hopeless. There's a Guest Service Manager who introduces himself on the first day, invites guests to contact him with any problems ... and then doesn't respond to any such contact. I have his email if you have time to waste...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Property seems to have blocked all RBC room redemptions on points in 2019...

I have reached out to multiple Platinum Concierges and none can find any availability of anything except basic rooms and Jr suites.

Anyone have any different experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.