Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzop
I'm thinking about staying here in March. Can someone please clarify:

(1) The transportation from NRT. Is it a free shuttle bus? Where/when do you catch it?

(2) As an SPG Gold, what can I expect? Breakfast included? SPG floor/lounge? It's really hard trying to tease out the non-Plat perks in this forum. It's as if everyone assumes the only people in this forum are Plats.

Thanks.
Thank you for inquiring about transportation to and from the Westin Tokyo.

Regretfully, there is no complimentary airport pickup service to and from the airport offered from the Westin Tokyo.

The easiest and most convenient way is to ride the bus service called the "Airport Limousine Bus". This is an independently run bus company (separate from the Westin Tokyo and all hotels) that provides transportation in to central Tokyo and near cities with a charge. I understand the name "Airport Limousine Bus" can sound a little awkward, however it is the most convenient way to travel to and from the airport.

Narita International Airport is located about 1 hour and half to 2 hours (depending on traffic) from central Tokyo. The fee for this is JPY3000 to the Westin Tokyo. You are able to purchase a ticket in the arrival lobby once you come out of customs. There will be an orange and white counter with the sign " Airport Limousine" and if you will let the agent know which hotel you would like to get off at, they will help you purchase a ticket and let you know where and at what time to board the bus. The bus to the Westin Tokyo will stop at two other hotels before making its final stop at the Westin Tokyo. The bus itself is very easy to identify as it is orange and white colored.

On your way back to the airport from the Westin Tokyo, you may purchase a ticket through the Bell Desk (called "Service Express Desk" at the Westin Tokyo) and they will arrange your ticket. You may charge the fee to your room bill and receive your ticket when you check-out from the Front Desk. The bus will depart from the main entrance of the hotel. The Doorman will assist you with your luggage at that time. On the way back to the airport, the bus will again make two stops at different hotels and then make its way to Narita.

An alternative transportation is to take the train (though not advisable especially for guests with lug gages and small children). You will have to purchase a ticket that will go to a major station (i.e. Shinagawa Station) and then change to the Green Yamanote-Line and get off at Ebisu Station EAST Exit, heading to a complex called "Yebisu Garden Place". It will be of about a 7-minute walk to the Westin Tokyo. In total it will take about 2 hours.

Another final option will be is to arrange a private car pick up with the concierge of the Westin Tokyo, but with a fee. A driver will pick you up at the airport and drive you door to door taking about 1 hour to an 1 hour and half depending on traffic.

I hope the above information was of some assistance. Please contact the Westin Tokyo for more information at either:
[email protected] or at +81.3.5423.7000 (hotel main line).

Safe travel to you- Tokyo is getting warmer by day with lots of sun shine.

The best,
westintokyo
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Wow! Westin Tokyo Great!

Wow!
Currently posting from Compass Rose on the 22F.
Really The Westin Tokyo has pulled out all the stops for me this stay.
Best reception I've ever received at any hotel worldwide.
Mirei Ri (Westin Tokyo Lurker) and GM Andreas Trauttmansdorff were both waiting for me when I checked in at 21:30! I was completely blown away by their personal commitment to guest satisfaction. They could have been home with their families at this hour but they waited for my late arrival to to be sure that The Westin presented itself as Cat 6 property.

Honestly, I was totally blown away. Clearly, The Westin Tokyo is dedicated to complete custmomer satisfaction.

Sure the average check-in is not going to get tonight's reception, but it evident that this property from the top down is fully committed to guest satisfaction.

Admittedly, as a frequent guest in Asia, the service level I expect from high-end properties may be higher than most North American travelers expect. Call me jaded or whatever you like but honestly, the Westin has earned my respect this evening.

I was at th Park Hyatt earlier this week for a night and the Grand Hyatt for two. I found the PH providing good yet somewhat impersonal service. The GH rocked and has earned my HGP stays away from the Park.

Now, at least to me, the Westin has has thrown it's hat into the ring and is a property worthy of it's Cat 6 rating. Not because I received a suite upgrade where in the past I had not, but for their commitment to excellence and desire to live up to their Cat 6 billing.

I really appreciate their efforts and truly believe that their commitment to excellence goes beyond greaseing the squeaky wheel. They take pride in their product and while every stay for every guest will not be perfect, perfection is clearly their goal.

Bravo Westin! I'll be back!

Cheers and Best Regards

-Scho
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:10 pm

Dear Schoflyer:

Thank you very much for staying with The Westin Tokyo and allowing us the second opportunity to win your confidence back. We are extremely grateful.

It was more than a delight to have been able to personally greet and meet you. Your kind response has left us with great encouragement and zeal to continue to strive for sheer excellence.

We truly wish that each of our guests leave our property feeling better when they first arrived, refreshed and rejuvenated for their next ‘journey’. Thank you for allowing us to contribute to a true Westin Tokyo experience this time. As we say here ‘this is how it should feel’.

We very much look forward to your return to Tokyo and to the Westin Tokyo.
Hurry back, until then be well.

Mirei Ri
The Westin Tokyo
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum/Hyatt Diamond
Schoflyer, in the interest of full disclosure ...

... Mirei-san and Mr. General Manager knew you were coming, right? Someone, most likely yourself, had made them aware of your impending arrival.

You see, I live in Tokyo, have stayed at the Westin many times and it's far from normal policy for either Lurker or GM to greet any guest personally upon arrival - which is not necessarily a bad thing. (I'm all over the property when a guest there and I've never seen ANY foreign staff member.)

Just trying not to get the typical guest's hopes up ... and this goes for the suite upgrade as well. Tokyo Starwood (including the Westin) is not Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok or Bali Starwood when it comes to gifting the big rooms.

In any case, thank you for your report.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:10 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by choco
... Mirei-san and Mr. General Manager knew you were coming, right? Someone, most likely yourself, had made them aware of your impending arrival.

You see, I live in Tokyo, have stayed at the Westin many times and it's far from normal policy for either Lurker or GM to greet any guest personally upon arrival - which is not necessarily a bad thing. (I'm all over the property when a guest there and I've never seen ANY foreign staff member.)

Just trying not to get the typical guest's hopes up ... and this goes for the suite upgrade as well. Tokyo Starwood (including the Westin) is not Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok or Bali Starwood when it comes to gifting the big rooms.

As a platinum who has stayed at the Westin Tokyo, I've received suites there. I don't get them everytime I am there, but I have received them.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:21 am

Dear kluau88,

Of course you have ... it's just far from an automatic thing, whereas at many other (ex-Japan) Asian Starwood properties a Platinum suite upgrade is all but guaranteed in the last three years for me.

Here's wishing that all your future stays at the Westin Tokyo are sweet!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:58 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Of course you have ... it's just far from an automatic thing, whereas at many other (ex-Japan) Asian Starwood properties a Platinum suite upgrade is all but guaranteed in the last three years for me.

Here's wishing that all your future stays at the Westin Tokyo are sweet!

There are many factors which determine whether one gets a Platinum suite upgrade.

- Suite Category
- Number of Suites
- Number of Booked Suites
- Number of Elites
- Length of Stay

The above factors can be used at any SPG property, so I wouldn't single out the Westin Tokyo as being stingy. Maybe they get customers who actually pay for suites which means less suite upgrades due to less being unoccupied.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:23 am

I was here over the weekend, and all-in-all a pretty good stay. I didn't find the lounge breakfast to be overwhelming, but the hotel was full and there was a 45 minute wait for the restaurant downstairs.

I was booked into a corner room, and looking at the fire escape map on the door, the room was on the corner (along with another one), but interestingly there are only windows along one wall, not two. Does anyone know if any of the corner rooms in this hotel have windows on two sides?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I was here over the weekend, and all-in-all a pretty good stay. I didn't find the lounge breakfast to be overwhelming, but the hotel was full and there was a 45 minute wait for the restaurant downstairs.

I was booked into a corner room, and looking at the fire escape map on the door, the room was on the corner (along with another one), but interestingly there are only windows along one wall, not two. Does anyone know if any of the corner rooms in this hotel have windows on two sides?
Dear makin' miles:

Thank you for your stay with us at The Westin Tokyo and taking the time to post and question regarding our property. We will take in to account to make improvements to our Westin Executive Club Lounge breakfast. We deeply apologize for the wait at our All Day Dining The Terrace restaurant. While we are grateful of the popularity of the outlet, at the same time we are in constant reflection as how better to lessen the wait to seat all of our valued guests.

In regards to your question of guest rooms, having checked with our Reservation Office, regretfully, all of our corner rooms do not have windows on two sides. Upon your future stay, we truly hope we will be able to accommodate you in guest rooms that will surly delight you. We look forward to your return for a more promising stay. Thank you once again.

westintokyo
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA

Yes of course they knew I was checking in that day.
I was still floored by the fact they they were both standing there at 9:30pm.
I felt that they were committed to making things right.
Hopefully they can lead by example because it sure is difficult model to scale.
-Scho

Let's just say I''m 1-3 on suites but 1-1 when they knew I was coming
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:27 am

Thank you for replying, Schoflyer

I appreciate your feedback. The Westin is the best Starwood property in the Tokyo area and I'm glad to see that you received the 'royal' treatment during your most recent stay. Here's hoping we're all so fortunate in the future.

Yours,

Choco
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by westintokyo
Dear makin' miles:

Thank you for your stay with us at The Westin Tokyo and taking the time to post and question regarding our property. We will take in to account to make improvements to our Westin Executive Club Lounge breakfast. We deeply apologize for the wait at our All Day Dining The Terrace restaurant. While we are grateful of the popularity of the outlet, at the same time we are in constant reflection as how better to lessen the wait to seat all of our valued guests.

In regards to your question of guest rooms, having checked with our Reservation Office, regretfully, all of our corner rooms do not have windows on two sides. Upon your future stay, we truly hope we will be able to accommodate you in guest rooms that will surly delight you. We look forward to your return for a more promising stay. Thank you once again.

westintokyo
Thanks very much for your message. The room really was just fine, but I was just surprised that the 'corner room' had windows on just one side. Unfortunately, no platinum upgrade was available, as the hotel was full.

I will say, though, thanks to you and your colleagues, I found the service to be very very good, so thank you so much.

If I could make one constructive suggestion for the lounge breakfast, perhaps the hotel might consider maintaining the buffet, but once guests are seated prepare coffees (regular, americano, latte etc) to order and deliver them to the guests tables (this is done at the Westin in Sydney, for example). This might add a bit of panache to the service, and also make for much better coffee than that available from the machine.

Thanks again for the stay, however. I found everyone to be most helpful, and really didn't intend to be negative.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Nice to see a hotel-specific lurker here

In my experience, the Westin Tokyo is an outstanding business hotel, and General Manager Trauttmansdorff has done a great job of convincing the staff to behave in a friendly and outgoing manner - also quite unusual for Tokyo hotels IME. The Westin isn't quite in the class of the Park Hyatt (again, my opinion) but it's a really good hotel. One fact about upgrades: for a huge property, this one have very few suites; I've only gotten one junior suite upgrade in my half dozen stays. But otherwise the rooms are nice and in good repair. and overall Plats are treated very well here.

Absolutely agree with 'makin miles about the coffee in the lounge though, I don't like any of the coffee machines. Coffee should be brewed!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:35 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Absolutely agree with 'makin miles about the coffee in the lounge though, I don't like any of the coffee machines. Coffee should be brewed!
I agree that the lounge breakfast doesn't anywhere near match the Terrace, but we should be grateful that they even offer the Terrace as an option.

As for coffee, this obviously a matter of taste. I find brewed coffee no different to bitter brown water. Espresso is my only choice and that's what they serve in the lounge, so I'm happy, even if it's not a great roast.

Last edited by BonViveur; Mar 27, 2010 at 4:36 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
I have enjoyed my stays! The location is not that good but for me the rooms and service make up for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.