Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:51 pm

[Holding for review].
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nba1017
[Holding for review].
I am curious to hear as well, have similar q's. Looking for a hotel this weekend for anniversary. Usually do Westin G-Town or Fairfax, but am looking to mix it up this time with the missus in tow.
Old May 5, 2012, 4:16 pm

Well, just did a night here, and I have to say I am very pleased! Staff was very courteous and any request was filled promptly. Even had a blazing fast turn around getting my shirt pressed as we were able to check in and change just in time to make our dinner reservation due to ungodly traffic on I 95. Upgraded to Caroline Astor suite, and a welcome note and piece of dessert for our anniversary waiting.

I recommend based on my experience so far.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Any recent stay reports as plat member?

between the st.regis & w, which ones is better?

thanks in advance.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
We were here In June for 2 nights. Great property and restaurant. We're gluten free and Ardour gave us a great credit to cover breakfast each day. We were upgraded to a suite and were generally quite happy but the room was a bit dated and the butler service fell short. They didn't introduce themselves as they usually do to offer pressing and ice and seemed confused when we asked for coffee and tea in the afternoon

The concierge was able to suggest some great local restaurants and make sure that they had gluten free options for us

The gym is very tiny and needs a serious upgrade, no pool

Also no house car for local drop offs

So overall a good property but less "Value added" than other SRs

No experience with the W here but I generally don't prefer the W brand
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just finished up a stay here, full trip report with 30+ pictures can be found here: Weekend Blitz -- St. Regis Washington, D.C. Review

Disclaimer: I stayed at the Park Hyatt Washington the previous 2 nights before my stay at the St. Regis, so I'll be inclined to make comparisons frequently.

Booking
I had an opportunity to stay at the St. Regis Washington DC for just a night after a flight cancellation kept me in DC an extra night ("weather related" cancellation so no hotel voucher for me--thanks for nothing, Delta!) I jumped online and saw that there was last minute availability at the Fed/Gov't rate (interestingly, it was the only Starwood property with the rate available but has the highest normal rates). I jumped back on The Metro from #DCA, got off at Farragut West and then had a short 2-block walk to the hotel.

Check-in
The check-in desk seemed somewhat small for a hotel of this size -- maybe the average stay here is longer than at a Westin or Sheraton, thus having to handle fewer check-ins/outs? I had the choice between "Deluxe King" and "Superior King" and, because they were the same price, I booked the Superior room, figuring that a Superior is superior to a Deluxe--I maintain that my logic is sound although it turned out to be wrong in this case. Here are the St. Regis rooms listed in order (sample pricing based on a 2-night, midweek stay July 30-Aug 1, 2013).

- $395 Superior Room **BOOKED**
- $425 Deluxe Room
- $455 Premier Deluxe Room
- $475 Grand Luxe Room
- $595 Metropolitan Suite

(All below have seperate living room)
- $695 Caroline Astor Suite **UPGRADED TO**
- $1,195 St. Regis Suite
- $3,395 Empire Suite
- $???? Presidential Suite

When I checked in, the agent thanked me for being a Platinum Starwood member and said that I would be upgraded to the "Caroline Astor Suite."

I explained that all I had were the clothes on my back and he told me a toiletry kit would be "sent right up." I was in room 310, a corner room in the southwest corner of the building facing 16th street & towards I street. (665-700 ft sq).

The room
Compared to the Park Hyatt Washington (PH), the property has a much smaller footprint but still allows for spacious rooms..Felt a lot more luxurious than the PH. More of a classic luxury than the PH, which seemed more modern.

Entering the room, you first saw a hallway with 2 classic paintings of old French manors and a closet. This opened up to the living room, with sofa, chairs, table and a TV. Again, everything feels rather stately and regal. A few pieces of fresh fruit (still chilled and wet from being washed) were waiting on the table--maybe the butler rushed it in while I was checking in? They saved the corner for the bedroom, which allowed tons of natural light to pour in. All of the cabinets were built-ins, the TV hidden from view. The decor was pretty stately as well, with lots of gold and blue.

First world problem gripe: My one complaint about some of these nicer, luxury hotels is the lack of an in-room coffee maker. Sometimes you just want to make a quick cup. Sure, in the case of St. Regis, if you happen to be staying in a suite, you can request coffee, tea or juices 24x7 to be delivered as part of the butler service. And the Park Hyatt Washington provides coffee to all guests in the lobby all morning--which is a hassle in practice. The best execution providing guests with the option of coffee but also keeping it "upscale" (because those single serve coffee makers get rather nasty) is the Park Hyatt Vendome that had an Nespresso Maker in every room with numerous pods to use--all complimentary.

The bathroom
Extremely well done bathroom, tiled walls--elegant, classic and homely. Shower had an enormous amount of pressure and the toilet was in a seperate room. It was just a tad on the cramped side. Coolest part? There's a fricken TV inside the mirror. That's right, you an stare at yourself all while staring at the TV!

The St. Regis Butler service
Only if you're in a suite do they provide their "St. Regis Butler Service." Because I was upgraded to a suite, this service was included:

- Offering packing/unpacking services (didn't use although I could get used to a personal valet to handle my luggage)
- Complimentary garment pressing (2 pieces per stay--didn't use)
- Fresh fruit in room upon arrival (delicious and ate every last bite)
- Juice/tea service in the mornings (requested coffee in morning)

So really, the only run-ins I had with my "butler" was right after arrival when I requested toiletries upon check-in and for the morning coffee service. But, when I look back on it, maybe the bellman brought me my toiletries--who knows…there's a fine line. So I guess my one official run in with the butler was when I called to order coffee and and requested a hair comb in the morning. Within 10 minutes the butler had arrived with a French press pot of coffee on a silver tray and a newspaper. She set the coffee down, introduced herself and explained, while reaching for a business card, that she'd be my butler for the day. Listen, St. Regis, I'm far from being either in the butler business or a frequent recipient of butler-type services, but the business card was a little much. It's almost as if they go out of their way to market this "famed" butler service, but, at the end of the day, it's just a room service-server dressed in a suit. That being said, she was extremely polite and I found the service to pretty good--although a little…sterile.

The Gym
The gym was quite small and in the basement so no exterior windows. Only a few cardio machines and no free weights -- hardly enough space to accommodate guests for this size of a hotel. So, ample but nothing impressive. The hotel is one step ahead of you, though, and offers passes to a nearby gym with a better facility--check out that St. Regis service.

Lobby/bar/restaurant
The lobby was quite cozy feeling: .lots of sofas, chairs and chandeliers. The lobby transitioned into a large bar that is part of the restaurant--Decanter. Adour, the Alain Ducasse restaurant that used to occupy the space, closed in May and now Decanter has taken its spot. Not sure why the change because Adour was apparently a fan-favorite. Maybe St. Regis grew tired of the royalties paid to Ducasse? Either way, what little reviews there are of Decanter are all glowing and the same chef from the old restaurant is sticking around.

BOTTOM LINE: Really enjoyed my stay at the St. Regis Washington DC and look forward to returning. The room was awesome, the service great and all in a central location.

Full photo gallery here: Weekend Blitz -- St. Regis Washington, D.C. Review
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks for a wonderful review. We stayed here in early April for two nights during the easter break weekend (also Cherry Blossom festival). I got an advanced booking rate (booked about 3 months in advance) of $250, which included the free parking each day. No real upgrade as Plat,, they gave me a deluxe premium room instead of deluxe room that I booked. Breakfast is wonderful and they offer flexibility in upgrading your breakfast as needed.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Great photos that capture the essence. IMO it is truly a beautiful property, both public areas and the rooms. I love the mirror TVs, too, but don't miss the coffee makers which rarely produce decent java. I'd much rather have a frig pre-stocked with complimentary diet cokes and beer (hello IC royal ambassadors!) You did not review the lobby bar, which is spacious but unfortunately priced to gouge the visitor.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
[QUOTE=Anglo Large Clawed Otter;14925809]During my stay in June, the only available upgrade was a Premier Deluxe Room. For a non-suite, the room itself was pretty nice:[QUOTE]

This is an ignorgant question, do you tip the Butler service? My wife and I will be staying there for three days next month.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
[QUOTE=minhaoxue;21159213][QUOTE=Anglo Large Clawed Otter;14925809]During my stay in June, the only available upgrade was a Premier Deluxe Room. For a non-suite, the room itself was pretty nice:

This is an ignorgant question, do you tip the Butler service? My wife and I will be staying there for three days next month.
No. To be honest, I can't even recall having any interaction with the butler service during our stay.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter

No. To be honest, I can't even recall having any interaction with the butler service during our stay.
I agree, I had the 2 interactions with the butler and didn't tip. I used to always think it was appropriate to tip the service staff but I just don't carry cash as much anymore and it's hard to know where to draw the line.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Any details on the PLT Breakfast amenity? What is the upgrade charge for the full breakfast?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Originally Posted by araknis
Any details on the PLT Breakfast amenity? What is the upgrade charge for the full breakfast?
When I stayed here we got a credit towards breakfast that covered most things on the menu. Food and service were great too. Their pressed Ethiopian coffee is also quite good.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Starwood
Weekend stay at St. Regis

We are frequent visitors to the DC area and usually stay at the W or the Westin Georgetown. This was our first time at this St. Regis. The lobby is gorgeous, and the location is great. We paid for the cheapest room and made our reservation the night before with a pre-paid rate of $250. As plats, we expected a great upgrade since there was so much availaibility online and so we didn't use one of our suite upgrades. Our upgrade was to a "premium deluxe" room. It was really lovely, but we were disappointed with the absense of a bathtub in the bathroom, interior view (looking down was dismal), and minimal closet space. (The toilet also was running, but we never got around to reporting it.)
In retrospect, we should have used a suite upgrade for a bigger, nicer room.
After we received our folio by email, i noticed they also charged us twice for parking ($42 x 2). They remedied the situation when i called but i was quite surprised with the blase attitude of the accounting office -- no apology or anything.
Overall, though, it was a really nice and comfortable stay.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by araknis
Just returned from a stay so I can answer this question now. Credit is $19/person up to 2 people.

Overall stay wasn't that great. Didn't get upgraded (suite upgrades didn't clear and nothing available during check-in). Tried to check-in early at 2PM, but no rooms available. Left bags with bellman. Came back a few hours later and they couldn't find my bags! Took about 20 minutes before the bags were finally delivered to my room.

All my requests seemed to take longer than expected. 1) turn down service. 22 minutes before someone showed up at my door. 2) check if another room was available (noisy baby crying for hours next door). I waited 20 minutes and didn't hear back from the front desk and then left for dinner. Never heard anything back. I just bought ear plugs down the street.

Toiletries were not replaced during daily cleaning.

Location was great though so that's really their only redeeming factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.