Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Great photos and trip report. However that room decor is heinous. It is good to know you received prompt butler service. I never saw them once in several stays here. It seems like the hotel tries to minimize this benefit rather than proactively offer it.
Do you prefer the old style to the new look? I really disliked the old room decor so anything newer is a move in the right direction IMO.

Butler service seems to be available only for Metropolitan and up, I think? But every time I've hit the button they've come promptly. Coffee, shoe shine, etc.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Just finished up a short stay, and I won't return anytime soon. It's been 5 or 6 years since my last stay and I was completely underwhelmed with the changes.

I used a SNA and was further upgraded to a renovated John Jacob Astor suite on the 2nd floor that was a decent size, but otherwise pretty terrible. The renovated bathroom was the worst St. Regis bathroom I've ever had (including the St. Regis Houston); the shower was on a weird 2 foot pedestal and the shower head was barely above my head and definitely the smallest shower head I've ever seen in a hotel (I would guess it was a 4"x4" square at most). The new furniture was fine and reasonably comfortable, but it seemed like they kept a lot of the prior built ins and larger pieces and just repainted them (not that well). And I hope it's not a new thing for all St. Regis hotels, but the bed was rock solid and super uncomfortable for me. As dated as the old rooms were looking, I would have preferred one to the new look and horrible bed.

In the morning, I dialed the butler service to ask for coffee service and was charged $15 + delivery fee and 20% tip. I called down to complain and was told they aren't doing coffee service anymore (even in suites). I don't know if I just got extremely unlucky, but it seemed like butler service has been completely removed at the hotel (and when I questioned it, the front desk person doubled down that complimentary butler coffee was not a thing).

On the plus side, the restaurant and bar were great and service was excellent.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Just finished up a short stay, and I won't return anytime soon. It's been 5 or 6 years since my last stay and I was completely underwhelmed with the changes.
Yikes. I am contemplating booking a base room here (I assume the base rooms would still be un-renovated?) versus one at the Ritz Carlton near Foggy Bottom. Anyone have any experience between the two? St. Regis still offers free breakfast for elites, but not sure if that would trump the more modern rooms at the Ritz. TIA
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Nice stay but not great stay

Just wrapped up a 4-night stay with my wife and new born at the St. Regis, Washington DC.
Overall a nice stay, mostly thanks to how super nice the staff was during all our interactions, and also because of the size of the St. Regis Suite we stayed in (Paid stay directly into that category as it was a relatively reasonable uncharge on top of the entry-level room).
However, a few points to be noted:
- Room renovation was well intentioned but the result is definitely perfectible. While the newer furniture is definitely on par with 2024 design standards, the re-use of older furniture present in the previous design makes the overall space really odd, with super-bulky repurposed tables, desks, buffets - sometimes repainted.
- Bed confort was probably one of the worst we experienced at a St. Regis hotel - It was very hard and really not on par with the brand standards (And we can compare as we have the St. Regis bedding at home).
- Same as the bed, towels looked used and not plush (And we also have the St. Regis towels at home so we can also compare)
- The fridge that was positioned in the room per our request was in a very used condition, and not very clean inside
Finally, I found it odd that no welcome amenity was provided for a full-fare suite guest (not upgraded) especially with such a high status (Ambassador). It is really not usual from the brand, even by US standards (which I recognize are lower than anywhere else).
Again, nothing that made that stay problematic, but a couple of points to be noted to really improve the experience in this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.