Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Stayed here as an award stay just this weekend. Customer service was fantastic and let me check in early even though they weren't required to do so. Upgraded me to a very nice suite on the 7th floor, complete with living room and huge bathroom. I enjoyed the hotel's location (around the corner from a Metro station, and just up the street from the White House.) All in all, a fantastic property. However..

..there was a wedding reception happening downstairs, and they decided to have a full-on rock concert that lasted from about 10pm to 12am. No joke! I think they thumped through every 80's one hit wonder they could think of. The fact that it disturbed my sleep from all the way up on the 7th (and I'm most certainly *not* a light sleeper), made me feel sorry for the poor folks on the 2nd through 6th floors.

I'm not quite sure what manager approved that one, but, they *must* be hearing about it now.

-RS.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
My wife and I plan on staying here for a weekend in October on FWNs. We're young and would prefer a luxurious but not "old" vibe. We also want to be pampered. Any idea if this is the hotel for us?

(We're choosing DC because my wife loves it and because my weekly travel has me in Annapolis every week, so DC is a logical option. We're using our other FWNs at the W in Miami Beach.)
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by ramalama8
My wife and I plan on staying here for a weekend in October on FWNs. We're young and would prefer a luxurious but not "old" vibe. We also want to be pampered. Any idea if this is the hotel for us?

(We're choosing DC because my wife loves it and because my weekly travel has me in Annapolis every week, so DC is a logical option. We're using our other FWNs at the W in Miami Beach.)
My wife and I went there last year and had a great time so we are going back. It may be a bit old, but we were definitely pampered and the place is pure luxury. My only complaint is that standard rooms have no bathtub and we were not upgraded to a suite.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ramalama8

my wife & i had 2 great stays here last year....both times we were upgraded to a suite....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
During my stay in June, the only available upgrade was a Premier Deluxe Room. For a non-suite, the room itself was pretty nice:

Bed and Sitting Area

Work Desk

Vanity (TV is embedded in Mirror)

Shower
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
During my stay in June, the only available upgrade was a Premier Deluxe Room. For a non-suite, the room itself was pretty nice:
nice pics....^^
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Had another wonderful stay here last weekend. I love the old historic hotels and I think they did a great job with the renovation. I was upgraded to a grand luxe as a platinum. I've stayed here several times and I've never gotten a suite, even though there were a few metropolitan suites showing online(maybe there aren't any standard suites here, not sure). I like the grand luxes, so I never bother pressing the FD agents for a suite, but just wanted to make a note of this. The room was pretty big with a full couch and sitting area right when you walk in. The only complaint about the layout is that the TV is a little small for how big the room is.

Adour is always excellent and our room service desserts and breakfast were also excellent. We also tried the new restaurant across the street P.J. Clarke's (used to be Olives last time I was here). It was OK, and it was a pretty reasonable lunch for the area. A burger and fries was $12. Not as good as Olives, but it wasn't bad.

One problem I noticed this time which I haven't noticed on my business stays is the poor noise insulation around the doors. We had a room next to the elevator and you could hear the ding from the elevator along with every door closing and hall conversation perfectly. So if you're planning on working or hanging out in your room during the day, ask to be away from the elevator if noise bothers you.

All in all it was a great use of my last FWNs and hopefully I can make it back soon.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I'm thinking about saying here this year. Is the butler service worth getting a suite for? Can i get the hotel to arrange a limo transfer?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I'm thinking about saying here this year. Is the butler service worth getting a suite for? Can i get the hotel to arrange a limo transfer?
i don't know if its worth paying extra for a suite but i was upgraded to a suite on my last stay here & the butler came in handy....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wow - a lot of whining here over really trivial things. Are people under the delusion that you will be getting Four Seasons service at a Starwood property.

The property sounds wonderful, really looking forward to staying here in a couple of weeks. As a non-elite, I would not expect an upgrade, but who knows maybe they'll appreciate a positive attitude rather than DYKWIA which is pretty prevalent in this area.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Are people under the delusion that you will be getting Four Seasons service at a Starwood property.
you obviously haven't stayed at the higher end starwood properties in asia....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by saad
you obviously haven't stayed at the higher end starwood properties in asia....
Correct. But people who have stayed at both should realize by now that service standards in the hospitality industry are quite different around the world. Even within the US, I would expect better service at a resort than a big city property. And there is a difference between rude staff (unacceptable) and staff that promptly meets a request by delivering 8 hangers instead of 10.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here Sunday night. Place was dead. Front desk clerk not really that friendly, no upgrade given (though plenty of rooms showed available). Bar was dead. TV in my room didn't work right, they switched my room quickly, but to the same type. Butler service was nice, very prompt. Overall, for the government price ($109 a night I think) I guess not too bad. Had room service breakfast which was very very good.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Like others have posted, the St. Regis really isn't anything special. Was checked-in by a somewhat unfriendly attendant who said maybe 5 worlds to me before handing me a room key. When I questioned if I had received any type of Platinum upgrade he told me that I had and that I was in a Deluxe room. I questioned if that was the best Platinum upgrade since I had noticed on the iPhone app that they had rooms all the way to the Grand Luxe room available for the duration of my stay. After a couple of minutes hacking on the computer he handed me another key and sent me on my way to my Grand Luxe room. Brings up my constant question that is pushing me to the brink with Starwood after all these years as a Platinum.....WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO ASK???

Room was nice but during my stay I had to call down due to plumbing issues (sink not draining and toilet not flushing properly) three different times. No one ever called to check if the situation was resolved after the three calls. On one night the turndown service was not completed until I questioned the front desk if it was indeed offered on the weekends. Strangely I felt that the room was very loud and you could hear everything that was going on in the hallways outside of the room.

Bright spot of the hotel are the bellman. They are very friendly and always asking if they could do something for you....something maybe the front desk staff should be taught!

Sadly this stay (and a stay at the St. Regis Monarch Beach) confirm that IMHO the St. Regis brand is a long way away from the service levels I have experienced at other high end hotels include the Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons brands and several independent hotels.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:04 pm

Perhaps this thread should be cross referenced with the Luxury Hotels forum, which is where I found a link to it.

Anyway, I was wondering if those of you who know could assist me with some questions about the property. I've booked a St. Regis Suite for an upcoming long weekend. Typically I'm at the Ritz Georgetown when in the area, but the combination of a good rate and preferential location for this stay led me to choose the St. Regis. For those of you who've stayed in this suite, are their particular ones I should request? My preference is for a high floor with lots of light. Also, could someone describe the layout a bit more--the website is a bit vague.

A couple of other (very minute) questions:

How is the nightly champagne tasting?
How is the shower pressure in the hotel?
How is the quality of the room service relative to other high-end DC properties?

Any other input is appreciated. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.