Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Would like to know how the parking situation is since I have 3 nights later in September and paying $40 parking each time makes no sense with free nights and expensed rental.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was there over the weekend and parking wasn't too much of a problem. I ended up a block and a half away for the weekend.

Most of the streets were restricted parking M-F, so during-the-week parking could be quite a challenge.

And a good thing - I pulled in at 11:15p after a long day and was contemplating sucking it up. Unfortunately, there wasn't a soul to be seen when I pulled into the driveway. So I unloaded the car, loaded up my family to lug the bags in, and went parking space hunting. It took about 10 minutes. (as I walked back, there was a doorman present, engaged in a conversation with another staff member. As I approached, they moved to the side so I wouldn't interrupt their conversation - didn't even acknowledge that I was there. Overall, a bit disappointing as a service. The famous "butler service" was never mentioned).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:57 pm
Suspended

CPR --

Good to know re parking, I thought that it might include Saturday meters.

What type of room did you get, U/G, etc?

Plat amenity the lousy jelly beans?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:21 pm

My wife and I just returned from two nights in Washington DC at the St. Regis using the current promo of two free weekend nights, and our experiences could not have been better. We had planned to have dinner at Adour, but based on Treznor's comments earlier on in this thread, we rethought our priorities, and had a spectacular dinner at Vidalia, a restaurant that I had visited previously, and whose chef had cooked for us at the James Beard House in New York City. Because of flight was running late because of thunderstorms, we went directly from DCA to Vidalia, and then arrived at the hotel at about 10:30 PM. We were first greeted by the doorman, and the bellhops, who accompanied us to the front desk where Ertug Ersoy, the Front Desk Supervisor, was on duty. Ertug gave us the keys to Room 501, and when I asked if it was a suite, he appologized and said that all suites were taken as a large wedding party was in house. However, he said this was he best room he had available and that he would look to place us into another room the next morning if a superior room came available. We went to 501, thinking the worst, however, it was a very large room in the interior of the hotel that appeared to be the mirror image of the room that RTWSTARALLIANCE described on this board. Needless to say, after inspecting the room and the bathroom, we were very satisfied with the room, and had a very peaceful night of sleep.

Next morning I went to the lobby to obtain coffee while my wife slept, and Ertug spotted me, and said he thought about us while he was home last night and if we were dissatified with the room, he was ready to move us. He said he thought about calling us the previous night, but then decided not to bother us, as there was nothing he could at that point if we were dissatisfied. He seemed relieved to hear that we found the room satisfactory, and that we were unwilling to move.

We had intended to have a quick dinner at Adour when it opened at 5:30 PM and then to drive to Wolf Trap to hear Peter, Paul, and Mary (Mary was ill and could not perform), but when a thunderstorm moved in, we thought it best to leave early, and have dinner near the show. When we parked our car in the hotel driveway for a few minutes, out popped Ertug Ersoy, the Front Desk Supervisor, with a large golf umbrella so that we would not get wet going into the hotel. Ertug was assisting the Doormen and the bellhops ushering members of a very large wedding party out into their Washington trolleys parked in front of the hotel at that time. Later in the afternoon when we were leaving we saw him helping with other front door tasks when there was no one to checkin. My wife commented that he must have been one of the owners of the hotel as he kept himself busy assisting guests when he had a free minute!

Another star of the hotel is the concierge Leslie Valtin, who assisted us a number of times during our stay. I noted that she is a member of the Les Clefs D'Or, a small group of superb concierges (520 U.S. Members), each who easily can be identified by crossed gold keys on their labels. I needed to read about this group, as I had noted that Lynn and Jake at the Westin City Center also are members of this elite group, as was the concierge at the Fairmont In Seattle, a hotel I recently visited. If any of you are interested about this elite group, here is the URL:
http://www.lcdusa.org/Main/AboutUs/FactsAndFigures.htm

Of the comments others had made, I found it easy to park my rented car on Saturday night on K street just a few steps down the street from the hotel. Other parking places were available on 16th street, just down the street from the hotel as well.

Some have commented about the jelly beans, or the chocolate strawberries, but we were not offered any of these ammenities. We did not eat at the hotel, so we were unable to comment on the food service.

Although this hotel has recently reopened after an extended remodeling, work is still ongoing, as the building next to the hotel on K street was to become part of the hotel, but it was tied up in litagation. Now work is underway, and I suspect the building will be torn down, and on the small lot, the spa, some shops, and some suites will be built. Being the lot is only about 100 feet wide, I suspect that the construction will last about a year, and when completed, the St. Regis may be able to qualify for a category 7 SPG property.

Overall, we found the hotel outstanding, and the service superb. We did not note any gaps in service that others had described. One thing of interest was that the previously described wedding party was having lunch off on a patio on the right side of the hotel which was an idylic setting amongst the grass and trees on the side of the hotel. I would suggest that it is worth a peek.

We have been staying at the Westin City Center on many of our trips to DC, but after this visit, I'm sure we will be spending some of those potential Westin nights at the St. Regis.

Overall, superb hotel and superb service. This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in while traveling in the U.S. The hotel seemed very busy even though congress was not in session.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:13 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
butler service

did those of you in non-suites get/qualify for butler service?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DJZ
did those of you in non-suites get/qualify for butler service?
Despite "Butler Service" in the room description, I saw nothing of it during my stay.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
My wife and I just got back from using up a free weekend night a the St. Regis in DC.

When we pulled up, two people jumped out to help us. Probably one of the few times they valet a minivan!

The front desk informed us we had been upgraded to a Grand Luxe room. From valet to room was less than 5 minutes. Super efficient.

The bellhop that helped us with bags to our room offered to get us ice, but that was the only "butler" type service we received. Not really sure what I would do with a butler anyway.

The concierge was no help in obtaining a restaurant reservation that evening, which was a bit disappointing.

The room was nicely appointed. We received a bottle of chilled sparkling water and fruit plate along with the free bottles of Fiji, all nice touches.

The shower was great, and my wife loved the amenities from Remide (no idea if I spelled that right, but apparently good stuff according to wife).

TV in the mirror is a definite must for my next bathroom renovation.

All in all, a very pleasant stay. While I understand why some would not want to pay $40 for valet, I've owned some businesses in DC for quite some time. Parking a car overnight in a garage will cost you half as much in that area of DC. And, no matter what neighborhood, I've never really been wild about street parking in DC, seeing what's happened to our employees' vehicles over the years.

I'd definitely return on points, unless they bump up the category.

Couple of bathroom pics can be found on my blog.

We spread our stuff out and messed up the bed before we could snap good pictures of the room.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Thumbs down No U/G bad Platinum treatment.

This hotel is very grand; we arrived with high expectations. It was probably designed for dignitaries and very important people; it had that vibe about it. We were given a nice room but compared to St Regis in Singapore, this appeared to be a step down. There were no coffee making facilities and no butler. We were told that we had been upgraded to deluxe. No amenities or points which was a surprise.

There is no executive room or drinks but we overheard the check in lady telling another guest that there was some champange at 6 pm. We though this might be like the St regis Singapore where they have a tastng and some snacks. What we didn't know it was only served in small single glass quantities and the guests would descent on the serving woman like vultures! We missed out initially and the check in lady saw my distress. She offerred us complimentary glasses and gave her feedback that no explanation of the room or facilities were given. She was very sympathetic.

On the second day were were locked out of our room; the battery operating our keycard went dead. Luckily were ready to go out. Security guards and maintenance people surrounded our room. When we returned from sight seeing, we were pleasantly surprised by a personalised butler who served us in room high tea which included delicious tidbits and beautiful tea in fine china. There was also a personal note of apology and compensation of 7000 starward points. This was definitely excellent service.

Overall I think the hotel is very nice; good location and close to the white house, but probably better suited to an older crowd.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guybaxy
We were given a nice room but compared to St Regis in Singapore, this appeared to be a step down. We were told that we had been upgraded to deluxe. No amenities or points which was a surprise.
Excuse me, but do you ever read any other posts on this hotel? You should know that service is quite lacking; that suite upgrades are almost non-existent because of weddings; that St. Regis properties don't give Platinum amenity points at all, etc, etc, etc.

Finally, comparing any American or even European hotel to an Asian hotel is ridiculous.

Count yourself lucky that you got compensated for heaven only knows was your issue.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Excuse me, but do you ever read any other posts on this hotel? You should know that service is quite lacking; that suite upgrades are almost non-existent because of weddings; that St. Regis properties don't give Platinum amenity points at all, etc, etc, etc.

Finally, comparing any American or even European hotel to an Asian hotel is ridiculous.

Count yourself lucky that you got compensated for heaven only knows was your issue.
i would have to disagree with you....i have had 2 stays here & they have both been excellent....both times i was upgraded to a metropolitan suite & on both stays i received the platinum amenity points....even used the butler service to get some clothes pressed....i told them i was in a hurry & they brought the clothes back within 15 minutes....
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
i would have to disagree with you....i have had 2 stays here & they have both been excellent....both times i was upgraded to a metropolitan suite & on both stays i received the platinum amenity points....even used the butler service to get some clothes pressed....i told them i was in a hurry & they brought the clothes back within 15 minutes....
Well, I think that you lucked out twice -- and I am glad that you did. With respect to platinum amenity points, all I can say is that William has made it quite clear that Luxury Collection and St. Regis properties are not supposed to offer Platinum amenity points as an option.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Well, I think that you lucked out twice -- and I am glad that you did. With respect to platinum amenity points, all I can say is that William has made it quite clear that Luxury Collection and St. Regis properties are not supposed to offer Platinum amenity points as an option.
i don't know whether the luxury collection or the st. regis are supposed to offer the platinum amenity points or not but i have received the points on both my stays at the st. regis dc & i also got the points on my most recent stay at a luxury collection poperty in india....
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
i don't know whether the luxury collection or the st. regis are supposed to offer the platinum amenity points or not but i have received the points on both my stays at the st. regis dc & i also got the points on my most recent stay at a luxury collection poperty in india....
In the Fairfax DC thread, William advised the above. But kudos to you for getting them twice in a row!

Good to know that DC Regis apparently offers them!
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:42 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
In the Fairfax DC thread, William advised the above. But kudos to you for getting them twice in a row!

Good to know that DC Regis apparently offers them!
They should not be doing this. If it fails to post, customer service will deny it. Then you would have to get the property itself to correct its own mistake.

However, in India, I would fully expect a Luxury Collection property to offer a welcome amenity choice that includes Starpoints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
They should not be doing this. If it fails to post, customer service will deny it. Then you would have to get the property itself to correct its own mistake.

However, in India, I would fully expect a Luxury Collection property to offer a welcome amenity choice that includes Starpoints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Not my issue as it is unlikely I will be staying there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.