Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies, which has certainly enabled me to put my complaint "in context." It looks like a classic "gotcha" for which there isn't a clear remedy. On one hand, assessing a $46 service fee on a "free night stay" certificate is pretty unconscionable; on the other hand, having this deluxe property classified as only a Cat. 4 is pretty favorable.

I have dashed off an email to Marriott customer service noting my belief that a "free night" should mean exactly that -- and pointing out that indeed it does at competing hotel chains. I'm not expecting much in response, but I will post what they say.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott customer service "did the right thing" and has promised me a $50 gift certificate for my troubles. I guess it pays to speak up when you're hit with an unexpected fee like this. Now I just hope the gift certificate doesn't have any weird fine print!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: delta plat, hilton gold, marriott silver
I had to pay $14 per day for a free room at the HongKong Renaissance.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
Marriott customer service "did the right thing" and has promised me a $50 gift certificate for my troubles. I guess it pays to speak up when you're hit with an unexpected fee like this. Now I just hope the gift certificate doesn't have any weird fine print!
Congrats to you and to Marriott customer service.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Very well then....lets move on and discuss my $218 "free" roundtrip on AA!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, UA1k, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Just for reference, I have stayed at the Courtyard and Renaissance in Beijing. Neither charged me any fees for the award stays that I booked on the Marriott website.

BTW, the Renaissance has a horrible location in Beijing. The New World Marriott has the best location of all the current Marriotts although it's not as nice.

However, I just booked a night next week at the JW Shanghai and I did notice some sort of fee on the reservation. I guess we'll see.

dtrunks
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:18 pm

only 4 hotels in Shanghai & 3 in HK charges the fee for award stay in China

More than 20 marriott hotels in China,
only 4 hotels in Shanghai & 3 in HK charges the fee for marriott award stay in
in Shanghai, JW marriott charges US$46
marriott hongqiao $25
Renaissance Yantz $25
Renaissance Pudong $25
Courtyard Pudong $0
In HK, all 3 Marriott/Renaissance charge HK$200 per night which is about $28
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had an award stay at the HK Renaissance and was charged HK$150 for service (about US$20). Maybe it is based on the reserved room type? (I guess it is a percentage of the full rack rate for the room type?) Just eat a lot at the executive lounge to get your $ worth

Also stayed at the Courtyard in Beijing. The location is great. Had a hard time finding the hotel though - you have to tell people it is behind the New World shopping mall. No one seemed to know the Courtyard by name - they took New World out from the official name.

Beijing is so large, apparently some people, including taxi drivers, don't usually leave their quadrant. The Courtyard is right "downtown". It is within walking distance (15 minutes) to Tien Tang as well as the Wang Fu Jing although taxi is really cheap if you don't like walking. It has an executive lounge which has decent food.

The only downside with the hotel seem to be the upgrade policy. I paid a low corporate rate and got a "one class upgrade" to a deluxe room. I believe the policy for plats is "best room excluding suites" which should have put me in a much newer room on the executive level.

Last edited by username; Sep 4, 2006 at 10:40 pm
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by GPS123
I stayed at JW Marriott Shanghai last year on point redemption. I was informed of the fee when I booked it (the fee was $35 before), so I was not surprised. All the Marriotts I stayed in China charged fee whenever I redempt points. I have stayed at Renassan shanghai, JW shanghai, courtyard Beijing, they all charges.

Bangkok: when I redempt points at JW Marriott Bangkok, and Marriott Resort Bangkok, I was not charged for any fees.
Singapore: there is a fee when redempt points at Marriott, but I don't remember how much the fee was.

Is redempt a word?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:21 pm

reward charge

In HK, all 3 hotels charge HK$150 per room for the reward stay no matter what kind of room,

In Shanghai, 4 out of 5 hotels charge 15% OF THEIR RACK RATE (the basic room) no matter what room you get eventually (C-Room, view room)

Last edited by iwpingmu; Sep 4, 2006 at 1:26 pm Reason: error
Old Sep 9, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, UA1k, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Just stayed at the JW Shanghai a couple of days ago for 1 night. Use points and confirmation did say they would charge a fee. However, checked in and checked out with no fees. Just internet which is pretty pricey. During tihs trip, I also stayed at the Westin and St. Regis in Shanghai and both have free wifi in all the rooms.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iwpingmu

In HK, all 3 hotels charge HK$150 per room for the reward stay no matter what kind of room,

In Shanghai, 4 out of 5 hotels charge 15% OF THEIR RACK RATE (the basic room) no matter what room you get eventually (C-Room, view room)
I don't understand how these kind of charges are allowed. How are they possible on an award free night stay?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtrunks
Just stayed at the JW Shanghai a couple of days ago for 1 night. Use points and confirmation did say they would charge a fee. However, checked in and checked out with no fees. Just internet which is pretty pricey. During tihs trip, I also stayed at the Westin and St. Regis in Shanghai and both have free wifi in all the rooms.
Hopefully, this is a new policy as opposed to a lucky incident.

I'd feel honored if my complaint did the trick.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Question Any updates for Marriott Shanghai Tomorrow Square Service Charge?

Are they still charge Service fee on a Award stay?

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:56 pm

in september, mrs. pevo and i used 2 one-free-night certificates from getting marriott credit cards.

when i made the reservation, they told me i would have to pay tax (which was going to come to around $40), but none was ever charged.

i don't know about award stay w/ points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.