Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Find an FTer (via PM or in person) with a corporate rate and try to latch on. You'll never see details posted here.
So, anyone willing to PM me a corporate code for this hotel? I'll be in PVG May 21-24 and normal rates at this hotel are quite high.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by johnep1
So, anyone willing to PM me a corporate code for this hotel? I'll be in PVG May 21-24 and normal rates at this hotel are quite high.
which company do you work for? I'd be glad to pm their code to you

Soc
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Marriott Hotel Hongqiao, Shanghai

Hi All,

I'll be traveling to Shanghai next week on business and am staying at this hotel. Not my first choice, but it is convenient to our meetings and I don't have a choice in the matter, so it is what it is.

It acutally looks pretty nice on the Mariott website, but figured I'd solicit some feedback.

I am in a deluxe king room. The website says separate showers and tubs. Is this the case for this room class? Do all the rooms have the new beds? Is it a new hotel?

Any other information you'd like to share?

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:03 pm

it is an First Marriott hotel in Shanghai, at least 8 years old

Nice one but no new bed back to early this year
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by iwpingmu
Nice one but no new bed back to early this year
Interesting. The website makes it sound like all the rooms have new beds. I might have the corporate travel agency make a request to the hotel that I get a room with a new bed.

Thanks for the gheads-up.

Any other thoughts on this property?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At the Marriott x-mas party in BJ, I was told that all hotels in China had new beds. The new beds are great, btw.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: QFF SG, Kris Flyer Silver
Question Codes for JW Marriott Shanghai stay

Does anyone know of a code I can use for a 2 night stay in Shanghai in August?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Marriott/CY hotels in Beijing/Shanghai for MR redemptions

Anyone has suggestions for MR redemptions for Marriott or CY hotels in Beijing or Shanghai, especially for summer months?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:49 am

Talking You can EMAIL me.

Originally Posted by jmr50
Anyone has suggestions for MR redemptions for Marriott or CY hotels in Beijing or Shanghai, especially for summer months?

I'm living in shanghai china. I have stayed all the marriott hotel in shanghai.

but I don't under understand the "MR redemptions" means.

If anybody have question about China, ask me please.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by jeremy99
I'm living in shanghai china. I have stayed all the marriott hotel in shanghai.

but I don't under understand the "MR redemptions" means.

If anybody have question about China, ask me please.
Marriott Rewards points. I'd like to redeem some of them for lodging while in China.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$46 for a "free" night at the JW Marriott Shanghai

I guess it was my own fault for not reading "the fine print," but I was a bit surprised to have to fork over $46 for my "free" night in Shanghai using a Cat. 4 award (procured from a credit card promo). What I was told at the front desk (the telephone rez agent never mentioned it) was that I was liable for the hotel's 15% service fee on the rack rate of the room. Of course that rack rate is exhorbitant.

I guess I was surprised by this practice because I am a frequent user of the Starwood program, where free nights usually turn out to be free (although you can occassionally be dinged a few bucks for a resort fee).

Other than this surprise, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The building and rooms are beautiful, the staff omnipresent, and the views stunning.

The only other caution I would give is to expect (for China) exhorbitant food/beverage costs and avoid using the hotel to make any travel arrangements. For instance, I needed onward train tickets for my family to Hangzhou. The hotel wanted 320 yuan. I got out my Lonely Planet book, found a ticket agency a couple blocks from the hotel, and bought them for 113 yuan.

In contrast, the business center in the Hangzhou Shangri-La didn't overcharge me for onward tickets, and the hotel's food/beverage prices were generally a good value given their high quality (like dinner for 2 in their stylish Chinese restaurant for less than $25). I guess Shangri-La has a somewhat different business approach. Value aside, however, I found the service and facilities at the Marriott to be somewhat superior to those of the Shangri-La.

BTW, please forgive me if any of this has been previously discussed, because I couldn't get the search function to work.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:45 pm

This is interesting. Is this common to other Marriotts in Asia? or is it because you were using a voucher v/s a Marriott Award.

The only time I have paid the service charge was at the Ren in Manila. I thought that the Renaissances charged for free stays but that full svc Marriotts didn't.

I'd like to know what others' experiences have been
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
Only in China

I stayed at JW Marriott Shanghai last year on point redemption. I was informed of the fee when I booked it (the fee was $35 before), so I was not surprised. All the Marriotts I stayed in China charged fee whenever I redempt points. I have stayed at Renassan shanghai, JW shanghai, courtyard Beijing, they all charges.

Bangkok: when I redempt points at JW Marriott Bangkok, and Marriott Resort Bangkok, I was not charged for any fees.
Singapore: there is a fee when redempt points at Marriott, but I don't remember how much the fee was.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
This has been discussed before. In my experience, the JW Marriott and Marriott Hongqiao in Shanghai add a service charge for award stays, but the Courtyard Pudong does not so I wouldn't say it's all Marriott properties in China. Also the Grand Hyatt and SPG properties in Shanghai have not added a service charge on my award stays. It seems to be a practice at certain Marriott properties in China.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:41 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Always check the fine prints first.

Not only in China, but also in India, you are liable for the tax on free nights.
Luxury taxes are not cheap there either. This is true for most
hotels and resorts.

in many cases, paying for the night might turn out close to even.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.