Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I was due to arrive at the Westin Resort and Spa for a 6 night stay. I checked in and immediately checked out. Let me say this: in all my years, I have never checked out of a hotel for any negative reason. This hotel took me 5 minutes. Some of you may think I have a propensity to be negative, but I am writing this under the kindest circumstances. First off, there is no Platinum recognition. This is the only hotel I have every stayed at in the SPG system that didn't even have a Gold/Platinum desk agent. I waited 35 minutes to check in as there was a long line and only one person at the desk. When I checked in, no mention of my status or anything of the like. I had to prod the man to even get my 500 amenity points. I ask about an upgrade. They say there is no upgrade. I had booked a ocean view suite in the beach tower 3 months ago. I am given a room number on the second floor of the beach tower (which is loud). Side note: not sure why their SPG preferred floor is only level 2, should be a much better floor. My room literally stares at nothing. I walk downstairs. The agent who checked me in didn't even say anything, he just said, "let me get my manager." Turns out they had given my room away. I called the hotel 2x independently and once through the Platinum concierge to let them know I would be coming at about 8:30 p.m. Now, it didn't really bother me that they gave my room away as much as it bothered me that they made no attempt to remedy it. They didn't offer to change my rate, waive a resort charge, or maybe drop me some SPG points (at the very least). They told me I should be lucky, as I am in the preferred tower and all the rooms are nice. I checked out right away. Went to the Ritz Carlton Kapalua 5 miles up the road. Coincidentally, this resort has the same exact rate as the Westin! I kid you not. In fact, the front desk at the Ritz Carlton told me that they match rates in Kaanapali (spelling?) because they would have no guests. So, honestly, in 100s of SPG properties in 35+ countries, 30+ states, I have never had an experience like I did earlier tonight at the Westin Maui. I am not saying don't stay there or it's a crappy hotel, just you have to be really on top of them, and plan on them screwing you. Since they don't care about your SPG status, just drive up to the Ritz Carlton for the same rate--a very service orientated hotel and amazing property. As for my personal preference, the Westin Maui was just way too packed. A well-designed property can be full, but not feel like it. It didn't give me the relaxed, welcome vibe. To each their own. Cheers everyone.
WOW - I am sorry you had this experience. Unfortunately I don't think the GM cares, which is part of the problem. You may want to work through SPG customer service to see if they can prod hotel management or ownership into responding to the problems you've experienced as well as the many other issues that we've been outlining in this thread for awhile.

I would suggest sending a copy of your RC bill to the GM with your complaint letter - but the way things are going at the Westin, I'd be concerned they might respond with a "you did not cancel your reservation within the cancelation period, therefore we will charge your credit card for one night's room and tax".
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I forgot to mention, that when the front desk agent said, "let me get my manager" it took 40 minutes for one to show up. They said they'd refund me my $700+ deposit. Based on reviews I had read on here prior to arrival, I didn't believe them. I literally made the manager right it down on a piece of paper and sign that they will refund my $700 odd bucks. She refused to do so for about another 15 minutes of arguing. Like I said, the hurt and pain wasn't so much that they gave away my room, but they didn't even care in the least bit that they did. It's actually amazing that an SPG resort property in a destination like Hawaii of all places can have such bad customer service. This should be a gem of their system.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: A few
I completely agree with you that the hotel does not care about much, other than filling up their rooms. There has to be a very low SPG Plat/Gold return stay percentage there. After our stay in August 2009, we vowed to never go back, and I haven't done that with any SPG properties before.

Cheers,

Adrian

I forgot to mention, that when the front desk agent said, "let me get my manager" it took 40 minutes for one to show up. They said they'd refund me my $700+ deposit. Based on reviews I had read on here prior to arrival, I didn't believe them. I literally made the manager right it down on a piece of paper and sign that they will refund my $700 odd bucks. She refused to do so for about another 15 minutes of arguing. Like I said, the hurt and pain wasn't so much that they gave away my room, but they didn't even care in the least bit that they did. It's actually amazing that an SPG resort property in a destination like Hawaii of all places can have such bad customer service. This should be a gem of their system.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:25 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AdrianVanzulli
I completely agree with you that the hotel does not care about much, other than filling up their rooms. There has to be a very low SPG Plat/Gold return stay percentage there. After our stay in August 2009, we vowed to never go back, and I haven't done that with any SPG properties before.
Out of curiosity, can one of the Lurkers share whether there was a recent management change at this hotel? Seems like it really went off a cliff at some point.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:33 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Out of curiosity, can one of the Lurkers share whether there was a recent management change at this hotel? Seems like it really went off a cliff at some point.
There has been no recent change in GM's at this property.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
My husband and I are owners at the Westin Villas (North) and will be checking in next week.

This is my 4th trip to Maui and i've previously stayed at the Sheraton 3 other times as well. .. I always opt for the Sheraton Maui if I need a couple extra nights.

On our honeymoon then even upgraded our Cash & Points stay to Building 6 on top of Blackrock and had a bottle of champagne for us.

Nothing compares to the Westin Villas. . .spg recognition or not, we wouldn't stay a week anywhere else. . .but for a couple extra nights Sheraton is a great choice. I have gotten way to use to having a full kitchen, jacuzzi tub, and excellent pools to be swayed away from the Villas (yes it's a timeshare property) but I've sent other friends / Non-Owners to the Villas after finding them rentals from owners on Redweek. . .no one single complaint from any of them, they all want to go back.

Sheraton or Westin Villas. . .from previous posts sounds like I never will be taking the risk of trying the Westin Spa and Resort.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
So, honestly, in 100s of SPG properties in 35+ countries, 30+ states, I have never had an experience like I did earlier tonight at the Westin Maui. I am not saying don't stay there or it's a crappy hotel, just you have to be really on top of them, and plan on them screwing you. Since they don't care about your SPG status, just drive up to the Ritz Carlton for the same rate--a very service orientated hotel and amazing property. As for my personal preference, the Westin Maui was just way too packed. A well-designed property can be full, but not feel like it. It didn't give me the relaxed, welcome vibe. To each their own. Cheers everyone.
Well said. That's exactly how I feel about this hotel. It's on beautiful grounds, but everything else is done wrong : packed, don't care about services, attitude. Checkin lines are long, pool is always chaotic, high resort fee. They are always full so in their mind, they're doing you a favor by letting you stay. I don't care if they care about my status. But you shouldn't treat any customers that way, let alone your Plat members.

Send the GM to any Vegas hotel and learn how to operate a busy hotel. This hotel needs to get their acts together.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:17 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
There has been no recent change in GM's at this property.

[/email]
I'm surprised... this place went from AWESOME to "never again" in just 12 months IME.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
We're having an excellent stay at the Westin Maui -- with a couple of caveats.

We weren't expecting, nor did we get, a remarkable Plat upgrade. The place is apparently quite full. On check-in for our five day award stay we were offered a choice of an Ocean View room in the Ocean tower, or a "Deluxe" Ocean view in the Beach tower. We took the Beach tower; its view is pretty nice, although part of the view includes the rooftops of the Whaler's Village shopping center.

The room is spacious, clean, very comfortable, with none of the issues (dirty carpets, torn wallpaper) that I've read about elsewhere.

We've had no trouble finding pool chairs every day; and although busy the food and drink service at the pool has been prompt, efficient -- and very friendly.

As is often the case, YMMV. Thankfully we haven't experienced anything like the horror stories on this thread.

We may never get the suite upgrade here that we've gotten elsewhere. There are relatively few suites on the property. And demand for rooms is reportedly up sharply on Maui this year. But that won't stop us from booking this property again. If other Plats go elsewhere, maybe our odds will improve!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, National Emerald, Hertz Club Gold
I stayed at the Westin Resort and Villas for my honeymoon, and it was a awesome experience. It was one of the nicest places on the island.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (1.4MM), SPG Platinum, Hertz PC, United Premier Executive
I've had to call 3 times now to get 1000 points they owe me for the green choice program. Overall the stay was fine but clearly a lack of service mindset at the hotel...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mr_right
I stayed at the Westin Resort and Villas for my honeymoon, and it was a awesome experience. It was one of the nicest places on the island.
The Villas are different from the Westin Maui.. a mile or two up the road. This thread deals with the hotel, not the Villas (which are marketed as time shares).
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Location Location Location

Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
The Villas are different from the Westin Maui.. a mile or two up the road. This thread deals with the hotel, not the Villas (which are marketed as time shares).
People mention the Villas as an option to the Westin property this thread deals wtih. While I'm sure the Villas are nice, the main reason I prefer this property is the great location in the center of the action on Ka'anapali beach... with all the services available to you w/o having to get in your car... walking to the Hula Grill and other restaurants, etc... a great pool for kids, the beach, etc.

This property should be great. It's disturbing to see the recent poor treatment guests have experienced at this resort. Hopefully, someone is getting the message and things will turn around. My arrival in a couple of weeks is probably too soon for this culture transformation... will report.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It's unfortunate that this property continues to get mixed reviews. I had a great stay there just last month, but on my next visit I may just stay at the villas to avoid playing the lottery.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by WineAGcom
People mention the Villas as an option to the Westin property this thread deals wtih. While I'm sure the Villas are nice, the main reason I prefer this property is the great location in the center of the action on Ka'anapali beach... with all the services available to you w/o having to get in your car... walking to the Hula Grill and other restaurants, etc... a great pool for kids, the beach, etc.

This property should be great. It's disturbing to see the recent poor treatment guests have experienced at this resort. Hopefully, someone is getting the message and things will turn around. My arrival in a couple of weeks is probably too soon for this culture transformation... will report.
Totally agree on Westin Maui's perfect location on Ka'anapali. Our five days last week were great. Hope yours are likewise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.