Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:35 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yvr76
As of a few months ago, resorts are be offering alternate amenities to Plats to compensate for this (in addition to the Platinum welcome amenity). If they don't, you need to report this to corporate. Some resorts are giving our breakfast coupons or a discount on the resort fees.
I'm not sure that a nominal discount on hyper-marked up items is an amenity. Neither is "invented" speed boosts in HSI.

Oh, well...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Another follow-up from this property - paying credit card bills today, and they've been nice enough to run through a charge of about $55 that's not on any bill or folio anyone in our party saw.

This property should definitely be moved to avoid. Far too many shenanigans for a relaxing vacation.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
[deleted]
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Another follow-up from this property - paying credit card bills today, and they've been nice enough to run through a charge of about $55 that's not on any bill or folio anyone in our party saw.

This property should definitely be moved to avoid. Far too many shenanigans for a relaxing vacation.
What did the property say when you called and asked about the charge?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

As an aside, this is really frustrating for out of country travellers who aren't using a USD credit card. The credit card companies will take 2 to 3% in FX in either direction (on the charge and then the refund), so you generally have to eat 5% of the mistake on your own.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
What did the property say when you called and asked about the charge?
No response from accounting. Twice. I included it in my call to corporate - but it was also ignored by the manager responding via email. I suppose I'll need to call accounting. Again.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:23 pm

Did you return any towels after hours at the pool? There's a $25 charge for unreturned towels, so if you return any after hours you need to let them know the next day. Maybe $55 = 2 x $25 + tax?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:42 pm

Did you return any towels after hours at the pool? There's a $25 charge for unreturned towels, so if you return any after hours you need to let them know the next day. Maybe $55 = 2 x $25 + tax?
All returned. Every. Darn. Day. It's a money grab, plain and simple.

Still no refund, but the manager did offer 5k starpoints for my "trouble". Of course, he also continued is demonstrably fictitious story about room availability. Not worth the headache. I'll call one more time, then dispute. And likely not return again. Oh, well.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:48 pm

Guest laundry?

I have a somewhat mundane question about this resort. I'm looking at spending over a week at the Westin Maui before heading over to Kauai for another week. We have two little kids and unless we bring a lot of extra weight, we'd like to be able to do laundry at least once during our trip. Other than paying the hotel something like $7 for each pair of socks, are there any guest laundry (coin operated) facilities anywhere on property or nearby? How have you guys addressed this particular issue? Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by Okto
I have a somewhat mundane question about this resort. I'm looking at spending over a week at the Westin Maui before heading over to Kauai for another week. We have two little kids and unless we bring a lot of extra weight, we'd like to be able to do laundry at least once during our trip. Other than paying the hotel something like $7 for each pair of socks, are there any guest laundry (coin operated) facilities anywhere on property or nearby? How have you guys addressed this particular issue? Thanks.
I know there are two in Lahaina, its a 5 min drive from the Westin. I can't imaging going to Maui without a car so here is the list:

http://www.localcoinlaundry.com/

and

http://aliidrycleaners.com/ (has wash and fold service)
Coupon here: http://aliidrycleaners.com/index.php?news&nid=2
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:46 pm

Thanks bdraco !! ^^
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Okto
Or you could stay at the Westin Villas a little further north. They have washers & dryers in the units.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wheresTWA
Or you could stay at the Westin Villas a little further north. They have washers & dryers in the units.
And a great pirate ship pool for the little ones.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:37 pm

Mrs. YVR and I just stayed here recently for her birthday. This resort seems to get mixed reviews, but our stay was positive.

I booked 5 days on points, and upon checkin we were upgraded to an ocean-front (beach tower) junior suite ^ (if you're checking in late and notice you're pre-upgraded it's a good idea to call the hotel so they don't give your room away to another Plat).

Our flight back to YVR left at 9:40pm, and although our suite had someone else coming in that day, they moved us at noon to another room and let us stay there until 6pm. Very appreciated since at a resort property, they're not obligated to even guarantee 4pm.

The gym/spa are essentially connected, which is nice if you want to use the steam room or shower after a workout (this is not the case at the Sheraton, where they are in separate buildings).

We used the 'green' option of not having our room cleaned, getting 500 starpoints each night. Note you can only use this 3 nights in a row, then you must have the room cleaned on the 4th night.

If you want to do anything on the island, don't bother with the concierge or the travel desk. We went whale watching and also did a helicopter tour and in both cases saved some $ by either booking online or going with a different company than they recommended.

Timeshare 'pushing' is prevalent throughout (not just at the Westin, but also the Marriot down the road etc.) If you pick up your welcome gift at the concierge, just tell them politely that you're not interested. We actually went (my friends bought at the Westin Villas so I was curious to see the property and I wanted the 7500 starpoints), but with no intention of buying.

I'm a bit torn on the resort fee. It's $25/day and includes the standard towel service, 2 bottles water/day, internet, parking etc. They do however offer some Platinum discounts (10% room service, 20% off cabana rentals, 10% off spa treatments etc.), free access to Premium internet (I couldn't tell any difference), and access to the spa amenities (steam, sauna, whirlpool, showers) even if you don't book a treatment. The last perk is great, as it's $25/person/day otherwise so I would consider this a suitable 'alternate amenity'.

Dining is decent, but not much variety. We went quite often for lunch and a couple dinners due to convenience, but also went into Lahaina where the options are more diverse and the food better.

One glaring negative was the lack of a Gold/Plat line at the front-desk. A couple times the line was quite long and I had to wait 15 minutes to just get an interim copy of my room folio. Per spg.com, I don't see this as a stated Gold/Plat benefit, and my experience has never been good on this front at any hotel.

Last edited by yvr76; Feb 6, 2011 at 10:00 am
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Mrs. YVR and I just stayed here recently for her birthday. This resort seems to get mixed reviews, but our stay was positive.

I booked 5 days on points, and upon checkin we were upgraded to an ocean-front junior suite ^ (if you're checking in late and notice you're pre-upgraded it's a good idea to call the hotel so they don't give your room away to another Plat).

Our flight back to YVR left at 9:40pm, and although our suite had someone else coming in that day, they moved us at noon to another room and let us stay there until 6pm. Very appreciated since at a resort property, they're not obligated to even guarantee 4pm.

The gym/spa are essentially connected, which is nice if you want to use the steam room or shower after a workout (this is not the case at the Sheraton, where they are in separate buildings).

We used the 'green' option of not having our room cleaned, getting 500 starpoints each night. Note you can only use this 3 nights in a row, then you must have the room cleaned on the 4th night.

If you want to do anything on the island, don't bother with the concierge or the travel desk. We went whale watching and also did a helicopter tour and in both cases saved some $ by either booking online or going with a different company than they recommended.

Timeshare 'pushing' is prevalent throughout (not just at the Westin, but also the Marriot down the road etc.) If you pick up your welcome gift at the concierge, just tell them politely that you're not interested. We actually went (my friends bought at the Westin Villas so I was curious to see the property and I wanted the 7500 starpoints), but with no intention of buying.

I'm a bit torn on the resort fee. It's $25/day and includes the standard towel service, 2 bottles water/day, internet, parking etc. They do however offer some Platinum discounts (10% room service, 20% off cabana rentals, 10% off spa treatments etc.), free access to Premium internet (I couldn't tell any difference), and access to the spa amenities (steam, sauna, whirlpool, showers) even if you don't book a treatment. The last perk is great, as it's $25/person/day otherwise so I would consider this a suitable 'alternate amenity'.

Dining is decent, but not much variety. We went quite often for lunch and a couple dinners due to convenience, but also went into Lahaina where the options are more diverse and the food better.

One glaring negative was the lack of a Gold/Plat line at the front-desk. A couple times the line was quite long and I had to wait 15 minutes to just get an interim copy of my room folio. Per spg.com, I don't see this as a stated Gold/Plat benefit, and my experience has never been good on this front at any hotel.
Was your suite in the Beach Tower or the Ocean Tower?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.