Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
My reservations say Deluxe Ocean View Non-smoking , Spacious Room 400 Sq Ft , Heavenly Bed And Bath , Full Closet , Refrigerator. It doesn't mention which tower I'm in. Do they assign that at check-in?

Any advice as to the cheapest way to get from OGG airport? We always rented cars but I'm meeting people who are already there. The website says it's an $80 cab ride, and I don't know when that was originally posted. My flight arrives late- like 8pm. I'm wondering if a cab is better than a shuttle (if there is one) or if I should get a car service.

The good news is that one of my reservations was upgraded from a golf view room to the above ocean view. I just hope my late arrival doesn't complicate things.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:21 pm

We booked an oceanview room using points for our stay in January. I was tempted by the awesome cash+points value, but was afraid that I would get a view of an industrial A/C unit like I did at the Marriott in Kauai a couple of years ago. Are the terrace view rooms that you can book with the cash + points option pretty good? It is hard to part with 14500 pts per night when I could stay there for 4800 + $90.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I always thought this was a popular Starwood hotel, but not much info lately. I'm at the airport waiting for flight 2 of 3, and had hoped to see some recent info. I guess I'll just see what it's like now when I get there tonight.

I have to decide if I'm recommending it to a group who are looking for a good place in the islands for a medium size conference. Several of them are SPG members so it would be great if it's as amazing as I remember it.

I was only Gold back then and I am still wondering if they UG Plats to suites at all. All I remember vividly is the suite we had the night of our anniversary. We paid to UG, about 100 more than our room, and it was so worth it. It was gorgeous with the best view of the ocean, and binoculars for whale watching. What a wonderful hotel. I can't wait to get there.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Removing thread since post was about Westin Kaanapli Ocean Resort Villas (time share property) and not Westin Maui (hotel).

Last edited by miles_navigator; Sep 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm Reason: Deleting due to post on wrong hotel master thread.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:43 am

I'm here now and am going into night 2. I was surprised at check-in that no one gave us leis, like my last stay. Also, 2 people at the desk with a line of 15 people, and one of the desk clerks was busy with a family who took up all her time. The man who checked me in was nice, but I could tell he was feeling rushed. I was simply exhausted after flying DTW-IAH-LA-Maui, with a 4 hour layover in Houston, an hour in LA and the half hour wait for the $50 45 minute shuttle to the airport. It was close to 9:30pm when I got here, so I was a bit put off by the long line. But of all the people in line I kept my thoughts to myself. The people behind me were overreacting and being downright rude about the wait. I was embarrassed for them when it was finally my turn to check in.

I don't know why there weren't more people working the desk, especially as it's very busy here this weekend, and also, there used to be a roped off line for SPG Golds and Plats. I didn't see it last night, or today when I went down for a key card problem.

I do like the black VIP key cards. I haven't noticed them at any other property I've been to, and I think it's a nice touch. Also, while they had no suites last night, the clerk did arrange for me to move to a JR Suite on Monday. I have no idea what that entails and hope it is actually a suite, and not just a large room.

I'm right across from the *88 suites and would love to switch over. My room has a king bed, and a sofa so I don't have to watch tv from the bed, which is nice. I also like the fridge in the room. I guess I'll find out what a JR Suite is when I move Monday. Until then I'm in a room overlooking Whaler's Village with a bit of an ocean view- I mean I can see it but it isn't like I'm facing the ocean.

Not happy about the $25 resort charge, since 3 of my nights are earned weekend free nights or points stays, and the only thing I get out of this resort fee is 2 bottles of water a day. Actually, I think I'd get those just by being a Plat guest. But there's no fighting this fee, it just is what it is. I's annoying, as are most resort fees- IMO.

Yet, this place charms me. I love the grounds and the beach, and the beauty. It may be a bit overpriced on the nights I am paying, but it is such a great place to spend my free weekend nights. I just wish Mr. Thaliajen and Baby Boy Thaliajen were with me. Pity to waste such a lovely place on just one person. Wish they were here!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
The facility is excellent and very well kept. The beach is excellent and not too busy like the Westin (hotel) Maui area. The pools are great for children especially smaller children. My toddlers had a lot of fun at the pirate ship pool.

---

Westin Villas - great for families and w/ young kids
Sheraton - good for families w/ middle school age + kids (water dept in pools is min 3.5'/4' so kids must be able to swim).
Westin Maui - I felt like i was in a Maui version of Waikiki beach. Definitely more geared for adults or high school age + kids in the family. Don't get me wrong; I really like Waikiki beach personally but I'd rather pay Waikiki prices and be in Oahu. Same water dept as above in Sheraton.

Where were you on this most recent trip? The Westin Villas or Westin Maui (hotel)? In your comparison, are you saying that the Westin Maui Resort and Spa is really busy and crowded like Waikiki Beach? I've never been to Maui and I booked the Westin Maui Resort and Spa (over the villas), but you have me rethinking that.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by johnnyv
Where were you on this most recent trip? The Westin Villas or Westin Maui (hotel)? In your comparison, are you saying that the Westin Maui Resort and Spa is really busy and crowded like Waikiki Beach? I've never been to Maui and I booked the Westin Maui Resort and Spa (over the villas), but you have me rethinking that.
It's obvious that miles_navigator posted in the wrong master thread. By using the terms Building 6, the Pirate Pool, and villa, the stay was at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
It's obvious that miles_navigator posted in the wrong master thread. By using the terms Building 6, the Pirate Pool, and villa, the stay was at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas.

Folks, sorry I posted my review to the wrong Westin thread. I was at the Villas for stays and a brief visit to Westin Maui (the hotel).

Rats, after spending a week there you would think I know the name of the place where I stayed!

I'll see if I can delete my review off this thread and post on the correct one.

-miles
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyv
I stayed at the Villas and not the Westin Maui hotel. I corrected the error after seeing the more recent threads.

My "opinion" only FWIW is the Westin Maui is bit busy. That's okay if you like the busy, people watching; walking down the street to try dinner at Swan Court in Hyatt one night; hopping over some where else another evening. To me these experiences remind me of a Maui version of Waikiki beach; e.g. beach/pool during the day, dinner at Nobu one night; dinner at Chef Mavro another night etc.

Without small kids I would easily stay in Westin Maui if it were on points or cash and points. If paying cash only (and no young children involved) or if you want less hustle bustle on the beach boardwalk ; consider hotels in the Wailea area of Maui (but here are no SPG properties in Wailea).
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:42 am

I am happy got the right information on Maui.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:38 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've stayed here for a week in each of the last two January's. From my perception, this hotel was really, really nice in January 2010, but a HUGE disappointment in 2011.

2010 we were upgraded to the Resort Tower overlooking Whalers Village. Greeted with lei's, staff was always on top of things. Hotel was paid but part of a cheaptickets.com package, for which we received Plat bennie's but not points for the room rate.

That contrasts with this year's stay, which just concluded. We were a party of three, using the 25% off award to book two rooms. On arrival, the hotel drive was backed up and there was no lei greeting.

Check-in desk had a line 3-4 people long with no dedicated Platinum check-in. On check-in, we were declined upgrades to suite, resort tower, and ocean view. Disappointed, I checked spg.com and found all three upgrades being sold for our dates with both doubles and kings. I called the Plat desk, who called the hotel. Hotel then gave a different story from each person we talked to - some said they'd move us the next morning, some said they were oversold for any room type for weeks, etc. After a call from the super-helpful Plat desk, an Ocean View room magically opened up in the Ocean Tower. Our second room was only moved two days later. The front desk also sold upgrades to the Resort Tower for points - in front of us, while denying our request to upgrade the second room. Non-scientific obsevation, the resort tower appeared to be a ghost town every single night. Throughout our stay, all room types remained available for sale.

Standard "resort fee" scam to get Plats to pay for bennies they otherwise get for free. Self parking is generally full by 9pm, after which they'll valet you for free. (which is a nice touch). Parking spaces are small, and the valets will block your car in with "overflow" when it's crowded.

The Ocean Tower is BADLY in need of a refresh. Nothing major infrastructure-wise, it just looks really tired. Wallaper in the halls is dirty, carpets a bit worn. Some of the furniture in the room looked new and the HD TV actually had HD, which was nice.

The Beach Bar had only one bartender both nights we tried to use it. I say "tried" because it took about 20 minutes to get a drink. When he got to you, the bartender was a nice guy and friendly, but clearly overwhelmed working by himself.

Our bills were not right for either room. We were charged for internet that was supposed to be free for Plats - on both rooms - and we were hit with an extra day of resort fee. The good news is that a trip to the front desk fixed this easily - as though the friendly folks working the desk had seen this sort of thing several times. In the end, we were also able to get the resort fee waived entirely thanks to a fire alarm malfunction one night - a nice touch for sure.

All in all - I can't say I recommend this hotel. For a redemption, it'd be tolerable with proper Plat benefits and accurate billing. For the rates they're charging (~$400/night for Ocean View Ocean Tower) - I'd look elsewhere.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
I've stayed here for a week in each of the last two January's. From my perception, this hotel was really, really nice in January 2010, but a HUGE disappointment in 2011.
Those upgrade shenanigans are a total turnoff - I doubt I would bother staying here the next time I'm on Maui. I'm there to relax, not argue for benefits that should be freely offered to me so I'm a happy/satisfied guest. If they're sold out, they're sold out - that's fine. But to screw around like that over upgrades at a fairly empty hotel is just total crap.

The zoo-like atmosphere, billing issues, insufficient staffing and the pool lounge debacle detailed upthread are fairly strong signs this hotel needs a management overhaul and Starwood needs to step in.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Check-in desk had a line 3-4 people long with no dedicated Platinum check-in.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves at any Starwood hotel. I think I've only ever encountered a dedicated G/P checkin once that was enforced.

Our second room was only moved two days later.
You're only entitled to Platinum benefits for your primary room.

Standard "resort fee" scam to get Plats to pay for bennies they otherwise get for free.
As of a few months ago, resorts are be offering alternate amenities to Plats to compensate for this (in addition to the Platinum welcome amenity). If they don't, you need to report this to corporate. Some resorts are giving our breakfast coupons or a discount on the resort fees.

Our bills were not right for either room. We were charged for internet that was supposed to be free for Plats - on both rooms
Internet is included in the resort fee isn't it? And even if you had to pay for it, it would only be free for the primary room.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
We're actually staying at this resort right now and have had quite a positive experience. I booked a junior suite for nine nights, and without asking (as a SPG gold) I was upgraded to one of the x88 luxury suites. The suite is 1300 sq feet+ with four or five balconies. I've never seen more than one person in line for the front desk, and we've never had a probem getting pool chairs at any time of day here. Regular internet is free I believe, while they charge 9.99 per 24 h for "premium" speed internet. Yes, the parking stalls are very small, but have always been availalble. They also offer a few extra benefits for gold/plat, such as 10% off room service and the luao.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:27 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eyeball1
We're actually staying at this resort right now and have had quite a positive experience. I booked a junior suite for nine nights, and without asking (as a SPG gold) I was upgraded to one of the x88 luxury suites. The suite is 1300 sq feet+ with four or five balconies. I've never seen more than one person in line for the front desk, and we've never had a probem getting pool chairs at any time of day here. Regular internet is free I believe, while they charge 9.99 per 24 h for "premium" speed internet. Yes, the parking stalls are very small, but have always been availalble. They also offer a few extra benefits for gold/plat, such as 10% off room service and the luao.
As a point of clarification, we had two rooms, both occupied by Platinum guests. (ie 2 out of our party of 3 were individually Platinums).

The busy times at the desk were pretty predictable - every day between 4 and about 9:30pm. Parking fills after about 9pm, which is a pain if you have a nice dinner off property. Side note: we very much enjoyed Merriman's in Kapalua.

Agree about pool chairs - especially if you're down by the beach in the kid-packed pools. Adult deck we found to be crowded every day.

"Premium" internet is comped for Plats - though a speed test showed no difference (I ran one when we couldn't even get a youtube video without biffering issues) - but was charged on both rooms.

As I said previously, if they'd cut out the shenanigans the place is nice enough that I'd be a happy camper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.