Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
I would want to have a car and parking is included. We have found amazing prices bidding on priceline.com for cars on OGG.

Originally Posted by vthokies
My wife and I will be at the Westin Maui for 10 days in late May. We opted for the Westin because we're definitely pool people moreso than beach, but I'm a little concerned about overcrowding. Anyone else been at this time and have any insight into how crowded it might be?

Also, what advice would you give on a rental car? We're flying into OGG. For the most part, we just want to veg out at the resort, soak up the sun, read books, etc. I would think we'd do 2-3 days of sightseeing max out of the 10 days. Is there a rental car facility on site (or near the Westin)? Are we better off renting for the full 10 days from the airport or taking a taxi to the resort and renting in Ka'anapali?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tennisboy
I just got finished stating in a post that I think Westin's are generic and corporate feeling to me (same smell, same earthy colors at each property) and that Marriott resort properties (i.e. Desert Springs or Praia del Rey in Portugal) excite me far more.

But I have to chime in about the Westin Maui, where I honeymooned last summer. My wife and I had a fabulous time there, and I have to commend the staff for making it a wonderful experience. First of all, it is NOT just a hotel for people with families. There was plenty of room in the adult-only pools, and the jacuzzis were often not occupied after 6pm each night (keep in mind, we were there in high season - third week of July). We loved it at the Westin Maui, however corporate and plain it sometime felt.
Have you ever stayed at the Moana Surfrider (Westin) in Honolulu? Just spent a week there. Corporate and plain it ain't.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:46 pm

My wife and I will be at the Westin Maui for 10 days in late May. We opted for the Westin because we're definitely pool people moreso than beach, but I'm a little concerned about overcrowding. Anyone else been at this time and have any insight into how crowded it might be?

Also, what advice would you give on a rental car? We're flying into OGG. For the most part, we just want to veg out at the resort, soak up the sun, read books, etc. I would think we'd do 2-3 days of sightseeing max out of the 10 days. Is there a rental car facility on site (or near the Westin)? Are we better off renting for the full 10 days from the airport or taking a taxi to the resort and renting in Ka'anapali?
I would just rent at the airport. A taxi ride to Ka'anapali and back would run you about the cost of a rental car. They have a shuttle that runs to the Westin that will take you to Lahaina Cannery mall, Kobe Steak house and Hilo Hattie's that runs once an hour I believe starting at 10:15 am and the last shuttle to Lahaina is at 10:15 pm.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Recreation
February is high season in Maui because:

a) it's winter and folks are escaping from the cold
b) the whales are in town
c) spring break

However, the economy is in the toilet so travel is way down. That works in your favor because the hotels are much emptier than they were in years past. Be nice to the front desk clerk and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Wife and I were there last month and it was slooooooooooooooooooooow everywhere. We had no waits anywhere for anything. Every business we were in said they had never seen it like this even after 9/11. If a person were wanting to go to Maui I would say this is the perfect time to do it.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP

Where were there in late May last year. It was pretty slow. Not dead, but certainly not very busy at all. We got there right before the rains really started - they hit about that time of year. We had sun every day, but 10 straight days after we left were rainy.

Rent a car. It's not very expensive at OGG and taxis would be ridiculous. It's something like 25 miles to the hotels each way - so $150ish round trip via taxis.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Just got back from Maui last week and stayed at the Westin Maui. Avis was sold out of cars due to a conference, but it was not that busy on the island. One thing I noticed though - a lot of silver-haired folks.
Westin Maui is my fave property in Maui (exclusing Wailea properties because the only place I stayed, Renaissance, was closed) - the sheraton sucks!!!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:55 am

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
We are checking out of the Westin Ka'anapali Resort & Villas in the morning, after 6 nights. Loved this place. The pool, the beach, our view. It was really relaxing, and probably our favorite Starwood resort thus far. Having a kitchen and washer/dryer was a great bonus, and a bedroom to separate the living room with our kid was nice too. Balcony/Sunset was great.

Agree with previous posters that Lahaina is pretty "dead" since years past. We didn't wait once for dinner at any of the restaurants there, and I was surprised at the lack of tourism. Now is the time to go if you can. Downside is that this side of the island takes a while to get anywhere else in the island, but, that's ok.

The resort did a great job at welcoming us, there were no pool chair hogs, and the weather was great this past week.
Mahalo!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Does Westin Maui still upgrade Plats? Some posts seem to indicate few upgrades. Any special treatment at the Villas?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by seawolf
Does Westin Maui still upgrade Plats? Some posts seem to indicate few upgrades. Any special treatment at the Villas?
Special treatment at the Villas is based on ownership elite status, not SPG status (although five star elite at the villas gets platinum spg status).
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by mbreuer
Special treatment at the Villas is based on ownership elite status, not SPG status (although five star elite at the villas gets platinum spg status).
This is true, but I've read at least one account of an SPG platinum who received a nice view upgrade at the villas. (Can't remember who.)
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
4th of July Weekend

As expected, the holiday weekend here is pretty crowded. We started off staying at the Westin. I knew there was a pretty slim chance of getting an upgrade, and as believed, we did not get one. The room itself was quite a bit outdated, and not that clean. I was certainly unimpressed. The staff itself was uninterested and not very friendly. This might have to do with that the hotel was pushing an occupancy rate of nearly 90% and there were people EVERYWHERE. Literally, they were everywhere. If you are a pool person, do NOT come here on a major holiday weekend/week. We were both completely overwhelmed by the amount of people everywhere. After about two hours, I couldn't take it, and went down to the front desk to see what they could do.

At the same time, I called the Plat Concierge to see if there was any availability over at the Villas. There indeed was, and if the front desk at the Westin released our reservation, we could transfer it over to the Villas without penalty. This is where my Plat status came in handy. Not only did the front desk release our reservation, they also canceled charges that we had incurred--- the resort charge and lunch. There was no cancellation penalty either.

Fast forward 30 minutes later and we arrive at the Villas. A much more pleasant experience not only at check-in, but also around the public areas as well. We were upgraded to a 1BD Ocean View! I had used some free nights to make this reservation. The room itself is 100x nicer then the dingy room we had at the main Westin.

Overall we're impressed here at the Villas. I'm sure my experience would've been different at the main Westin if it was not a holiday weekend. We're looking for a relaxing weekend, which is what we're now getting here.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by glenny84
The room itself is 100x nicer then the dingy room we had at the main Westin.
Wow, must be a nice room.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:46 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Oh how things have changed...

We're still having a good time here in Maui. However, there have been several issues that are ongoing and still not fixed. This morning our toilet leaked water out of the bottom of it, and our screen door would not open. I reported it promptly to the front desk, expecting some sort of solution, whether it be moving me to another room, or at least an apology of sorts. I was wrong on that...either issue has yet to be resolved.

Our stay was rebooked with 2 free nights, and of course the hotel sent us a bill for $150. They're not willing to budge on the $150 and claim that the Platinum concierge is the one that charged it?!?!?!!?

The bellboys here are great. The concierges are somewhat ok. The staff at the front desk is TERRIBLE. I have yet to find at least one somewhat friendly at the front desk. Very dissapointing...

I hope that our experience is just a rarity....The hotel room itself and pool area is still well above satisfactory.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by glenny84
The bellboys here are great. The concierges are somewhat ok. The staff at the front desk is TERRIBLE. I have yet to find at least one somewhat friendly at the front desk. Very dissapointing...

I hope that our experience is just a rarity....The hotel room itself and pool area is still well above satisfactory.
Don't forget the Villas is not a hotel. It's a timeshare property. Services differ.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:33 pm

Programs: A few
Question

Does anybody have an email address for this hotel (concierge or reservations)? I'd like to be able to contact them about my upcoming stay in a few weeks without having to pick up the phone.

I hope they treat Plats right.

Cheers,

Adrian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.