Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by socalplat
My brother and his wife are staying at the Villas and wanted to know about kids programs, hotel staff and other things for the kids to do. Any ideas?
There are some links on the property's web site (http://www.westinkaanapali.com). I'd also call the concierge - just let them know when you're arriving and what you're interested in.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:00 pm

upgrades for westing maui timeshare deal

anyone have any luck with this lately? going in october and wondering if my SPG Gold status will get me out of the parking lot view rooms they reserve you in.

Also, any tips things worth doing (tour for points, ect.) would be appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA: 1P, SPG: PLT
We did it about 2 years ago and were at the Shearton Maui. We did get upgraded to an Ocean view as a Gold, although it was the second day and we asked a couple of times (at check-in, that night and the next morning, primarily since the desk clerk said to check at those times). The deal is well worth it even without the upgraded room, especially since we spent so little time there.

On another note, if I were to do it again we would prefer to stay at either the Sheraton or Westin instead of the Villas, just for the location. IIRC The Villas have a great beach, but being able to walk to Whalers village from the others is a great benefit. No driving or waiting for shuttles.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, STW Plat, Hyatt Plat, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by cartman13
anyone have any luck with this lately? going in october and wondering if my SPG Gold status will get me out of the parking lot view rooms they reserve you in.

If you're there for just five days during whale season, mid-Dec thru March, a whale-watching trip via Pacific Whale Foundation or one of the commercial providers is a must. If you don't mind spending some extra bucks, a very special luau is the Feast at Lele at 505 Front Street in Lahaina. Instead of being seated with a bunch of strangers, you'll have your own table, a gourmet South Seas dinner, unlimited cocktails and a great show. If getting up very early isn't a drag, a sunrise bike ride down the mountain from Haleakala volcano could be a memorable experience for you. A helicopter tour that includes a touchdown in Hana is fun if it's still being offered. Finally, I would highly recommend lunch at Mama's Fish House in Paia. Beautiful surroundings, great view and great seafood, but watch the bar tab -- it can get expensive!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by iggyv
If you're there for just five days during whale season, mid-Dec thru March, a whale-watching trip via Pacific Whale Foundation or one of the commercial providers is a must. If you don't mind spending some extra bucks, a very special luau is the Feast at Lele at 505 Front Street in Lahaina. Instead of being seated with a bunch of strangers, you'll have your own table, a gourmet South Seas dinner, unlimited cocktails and a great show. If getting up very early isn't a drag, a sunrise bike ride down the mountain from Haleakala volcano could be a memorable experience for you. A helicopter tour that includes a touchdown in Hana is fun if it's still being offered. Finally, I would highly recommend lunch at Mama's Fish House in Paia. Beautiful surroundings, great view and great seafood, but watch the bar tab -- it can get expensive!
thanks so much for the input! Last time i was in Maui i spent a few days at the Grand Wailea and we never left the resort aside from a quick snorkeling trip. Bummed that we won't be there during whale season... but a lot of the other stuff sounds great!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
anyone know what the "personal concierge" service at westin maui is about? I just got a call from someone saying that they've been assigned as my personal concierge for my upcoming trip.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by shazbot
anyone know what the "personal concierge" service at westin maui is about? I just got a call from someone saying that they've been assigned as my personal concierge for my upcoming trip.
Your personal concierge is Starwood's rep who will try to get you to do a timeshare presentation. My advice is to ignore them completely. Do not pick up your welcome gift or you'll end up spending 3 hours listening to a salesman. (If you really, really love the place and want a timeshare, then check out TUG2.com and see what'll cost resale. I'm an owner there with no regrets because I did my homework ahead of time and bought on the resale market.)

Gold will barely get you an upgrade in a hotel. It won't get you anywhere at Starwood timeshares because they have a separate elite program. October should be fairly empty, though, so you have a good chance of getting assigned a better room. I'd recommend booking at the north side as they don't have parking lot views and all their rooms have lanais. (South side studios do not have lanais.)

Activities worth doing: Trilogy snorkeling tour to Lanai, Kayak/snorkeling combinations, Sunset catamaran sail, snorkeling outside Westin Kaanapali, Drive north of Kapalua, Iao Needle, sunset on Haleakala, Watching Windsurfers at Hookipa Beach, parasailing, Warren and Annabelle's...I could go on and on.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Even the smallest studio in the Westin Villas is comparable to a Junior Suite, with seperate sleeping area, huge bathroom and a kitchen, and a living/dining area, plus washer/dryer. so there's really nothing to upgrade, other than the view.

I stayed in the smallest studio available at the Westin Kaanapali Villas last year, and it's huge, close to 400 sq. ft.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Recreation
Your personal concierge is Starwood's rep who will try to get you to do a timeshare presentation. My advice is to ignore them completely. Do not pick up your welcome gift or you'll end up spending 3 hours listening to a salesman.
We always pick up the welcome gift, let the concierge know we've had all our questions answered at the SVO website, and decline the timeshare appointment. Picking up your welcome gift does not obligate you to the timeshare presentation. Of course, usually the gift is something simple. Ours have been nifty canvas totebags (for beach use, and very sturdy) or nice hats.

Usually, what obligates you is if you want the Starpoints/dinner certificates they offer for sitting through it. Avoid the temptation and enjoy the extra time on the beach.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Recreation

Gold will barely get you an upgrade in a hotel. It won't get you anywhere at Starwood timeshares because they have a separate elite program. October should be fairly empty, though, so you have a good chance of getting assigned a better room. I'd recommend booking at the north side as they don't have parking lot views and all their rooms have lanais. (South side studios do not have lanais.)
I was under the impression that the stay was at the hotel, not in the actual vacation properties. Isn't the hotel still part of the spg program? I was thinking they might just put is in a room that had a better view (not an upgrade to suite or anything). Thanks for the tip on the north side. I doubt we'll have a shortage of things to do around the island, but always good to hear what other people enjoyed! Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I was under the impression that the stay was at the hotel, not in the actual vacation properties. Isn't the hotel still part of the spg program?
Some packages do have you stay in the hotel, but you should confirm this. The Westin Maui hotel, which does participate in SPG, is located on a great part of Kaanapali Beach if you're into activity. Your gold status might get you an ocean view room.

Personally, I'd rather have a studio at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas (the timeshare location, which is a bit north of the Westin Maui) but both locations are great.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG: Platinum
Westin Maui. Does it Have Breakfast for Platinum?

Booked on Award at Westin Maui. Does it have a lounge for breakfast fro Platnium? If not are there breakfast vouchers?

I know I should have booked the Sheraton, but my daughter wants the waterslide.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 11, 2008 at 2:49 pm Reason: Merged into master thread in hopes of getting attention from folks who have stayed here
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by cldflyer
Booked on Award at Westin Maui. Does it have a lounge for breakfast fro Platnium? If not are there breakfast vouchers?

I know I should have booked the Sheraton, but my daughter wants the waterslide.
The Westin does not offer any type of breakfast amenity.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:03 pm

Looking to stay at the Westin Maui next year. If I book the best rate I can, will I be able to upgrade to a Suite (Luxury or Executive) using points? Also will they confirm this ahead of time?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:09 am

Thumbs up

Just finished a stay here and it was great for the family. We had an Ocean View Studio Villa (we booked island view but were upgraded to the ocean view) in the North Towers as requested. The studio was great with the full size fridge coming in handy as well as the Washer/dryer. The grounds were great and we made good use of the kids pirate pool (my girls are 3 and 5). Free parking was good although we had an SUV as that is all that Hertz had left and many parking spaces were not meant for an SUV. Service was top notch except for housekeeping which was hit and miss, (more misses then hits).

Overall I would definitely stay here again and if SPG points aren't that important you can book through some vacation companies like we did for much less then the lowest rates on the Starwood sites (you will still earn SPG points on any spending at the resort while there)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.