Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:56 am
nsr

Westin Ka'anapali - tax question paying fully with points?

We have a stay booked with points only for the The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (NOT Westin Maui Resort and Spa). When I booked it on the phone, the agent told me that tax is included in the rate (as it usually is when paying fully with points). However, the confirmation email states explicitly that taxes are not included in the rate. I called again, and the agent assured me that taxes are included, and had no idea why the email was sent as tax not included.

Just wanted to make sure I don't get an unpleasant surprise at check-in/check-out, did anyone stay at the Westin Ka'anapali, paid fully with points, and can confirm no tax was charged?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: UA1P, SPG Gold
Any deals out there for this hotel? In the process of planning a 6 night stay - also would appreciate any tips anyone may have for a first time Maui traveller.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:16 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by nsr
We have a stay booked with points only for the The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (NOT Westin Maui Resort and Spa). When I booked it on the phone, the agent told me that tax is included in the rate (as it usually is when paying fully with points). However, the confirmation email states explicitly that taxes are not included in the rate. I called again, and the agent assured me that taxes are included, and had no idea why the email was sent as tax not included.

Just wanted to make sure I don't get an unpleasant surprise at check-in/check-out, did anyone stay at the Westin Ka'anapali, paid fully with points, and can confirm no tax was charged?
Taxes are included in all Preferred (free) Night Award reservations. However, things like resort fees are not.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
We stayed at the Westin Kaanapali earlier this year. Just a word of caution - this is NOT the property for a quiet getaway for a couple. This is definitely a family property - and a great one at that - there are always a gazillion kids - all the pools, including the "adult only" pool was inundated with children. A fabulous location for the beach and walking - but just not meant for a quiet "romantic" stay.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Stayed at the Westin Kannapali last month on cash & points. Tax was applied to the cash portion plus the resort fee. I agree with jschutz about the noise. The bird noise was so loud that I could barely hear the front desk attendant during the checkin process. And the small parking lot makes it not only difficult to find a spot (especially after returning in the evenings from dinner), the small spaces could barely fit a full-size car. Great property for a family, but not for a romantic vacation unless you like lots of noise both from kids and the birds.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:30 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
Stayed at the Westin Kannapali last month on cash & points. Tax was applied to the cash portion plus the resort fee. I agree with jschutz about the noise. The bird noise was so loud that I could barely hear the front desk attendant during the checkin process. And the small parking lot makes it not only difficult to find a spot (especially after returning in the evenings from dinner), the small spaces could barely fit a full-size car. Great property for a family, but not for a romantic vacation unless you like lots of noise both from kids and the birds.
Did you try the garage under the building? There's more parking there and the entrance is just beyond the lobby entry, at the far end of the surface parking lot.

As to the birds, I don't think Starwood, as good as it can be, can control Mother Nature.

Those looking for a "romantic" getaway at this property may have a better chance if they were to go in non-school holiday periods. We tend to go in October, sometimes late September or May. But since it's a timeshare with full kitchens and has kids' play areas, it draws families.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Hint: If you want more quiet, ask for the north side. The main pool on the north side is simply a nicely landscaped body of water -- it lacks a pirate ship or a slide -- all the things which draws kids. It does have a volleyball net in one area, but that draws older teens and adults. We stayed on the north side in July, high kid season, and weren't bothered by screaming kids ever.

I'd also recommend the north side if you're renting a studio because they have lanais off their studio side. The south side studios only have a small jut out, too small to even put a chair. The downside to the north side is that the studios have queen beds (vs. king) and the 1 bdrms are smaller.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I've got a stay coming up with an ocean view room. Any advice on what tower I want to be in, etc?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by 100% Green
I've got a stay coming up with an ocean view room. Any advice on what tower I want to be in, etc?
I'd personally want to be on the north side, preferably building 7 facing inward. YMMV.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Folks seem to be confusing the discussion here about two entirely different properties.

The hotel is the "Westin Maui Resort & Spa" located in Ka'anapali. The SVO timeshares are the "Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas" and "Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North."

100% Green, which one are you asking about?

For better or for worse, I don't think that we have a Master Thread for the Westin Ka'anapali Villas -- probably because they haven't always participated in SPG.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
Folks seem to be confusing the discussion here about two entirely different properties.

The hotel is the "Westin Maui Resort & Spa" located in Ka'anapali. The SVO timeshares are the "Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas" and "Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North."

100% Green, which one are you asking about?

For better or for worse, I don't think that we have a Master Thread for the Westin Ka'anapali Villas -- probably because they haven't always participated in SPG.
I'm talking about Westin Maui Resort & Spa, NOT the Villas. However, I tried reading this thread and a lot of it is about the villas, which is confusing me.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:32 pm

BUMP. This thread is very confusing because it's talking about two properties. Is the Westin resort and Spa (not the villas or the timeshares) a good property? Is it good for romantic vacation or for a family vacation? What room is a good room to be in? Is there a specific tower that should be requested? Should I switch to the sheraton?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 100% Green
BUMP. This thread is very confusing because it's talking about two properties. Is the Westin resort and Spa (not the villas or the timeshares) a good property? Is it good for romantic vacation or for a family vacation? What room is a good room to be in? Is there a specific tower that should be requested? Should I switch to the sheraton?
What type of experience are you looking for? I've been at the Westin only during off-season (October) as I hate traveling to Hawai'i during busy periods, especially an already busy island like Maui. If you're traveling to Maui during a busy time, you might find a quieter experience over at the Sheraton - but you will be getting a Sheraton room and Sheraton service, not Westin.

As a Gold, your upgrade experience will be limited, and wholly dependent on the bookings when you arrive. I haven't stayed at this property since becoming a Platinum, so I cannot personally state there is any significant difference.

The Beach Tower has the better ocean and shoreline views, as it faces east/west and is closer to the water. The Ocean Tower is set back behind the pool area, so water views will be more limited, there will be no view from lower floors and noise could be a factor.

IIRC, the Beach Tower had larger bathrooms and closets, but now I can't remember if the opposite was true - search earlier up in the thread and you can find the answer.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:33 pm

Both Starwood hotels are great. After all, they're on Kaanapali Beach in Maui. I prefer the Sheraton's campus, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at either. Westin is more centrally located on the beach, if that helps at all.

Maybe aerial views will help illustrate the differences in the "feel" they each have.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrsheraton.html
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrwestin.html

Of course, I'm not into being pampered. Just give me a lanai overlooking the Pacific and I'll take that over turn down service and a club level lounge anyday.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Having stayed at both the Westin Hotel and the Westin Villas, I highly recommend the Westin Villas. The price for the villas is often the same or cheaper than the hotel, while the villas offer much better accomodations and amenities. Check out wotif.com, cash and points, and just points redemptions in order to stay at the villas. Aloha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.