Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
We've been to Key West a number of times but this will be our first stay at this Westin. We've always thought " what a great location." I've read some mixed reviews here and on tripadvisor, but that is often the case. I know we can speak up if something is wrong with the room, but I'd like to lay ground work for a nice stay.

After over thirty years together, this trip is in celebration of our second chance together. We need a nice trouble free get away.

I am SPG Gold. I understand there is a Preferred Guest Floor, and that Traditional Rooms are a little tired. Will SPG Gold get us anything , upgrade ect in high season. Should I cough up the extra points at booking, or waite til I check in.
the location is great....while i have read some bad reviews here, i had a great stay here last year....

as platinum i got an upgrade to a really nice suite....call them from before & speak with a manager....let them know its a special occasion....
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Have they Remodeled lately?

Reviews sound hit or miss. Have they remodeled lately?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:35 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rendezvous
I just recently redeemed points for a 5 night stay over new years at the Westin in Key West, Florida. Things started off well at the beginning of the visit. To show appreciation for my gold status, they offered me an option of 1000 points, a free movie rental or a bottle of house wine (I know that pretty much everyone is gold, so I was very pleased with this offer and took the bottle of wine). The room had a nice decor, but was equipped with a large box TV and a window unit (which I don't really mind as long as it works). When I was waiting for a taxi with my wife, the valet guys were very friendly and helpful when giving me information and advice regarding food on the island. Although the trip started out great, not everything was up to par by westin standards. Everyday after the first day, the maids forgot to stock my bathroom with wash clothes (even though I called the front desk about this issue several times and they did nothing to solve the problem). The wash cloth problem wasn't a huge deal, but it did get irritating whenever I had to call guest services for wash clothes everyday. The real deal breaker for me was the broken A/C unit and the failure of the staff to fix the problem. The first couple days were cold, so I never used the A/c, but it warmed up later in the week. For some reason my A/C would not go below 79 degrees (I screwed with the thing for 30 minutes with no success) and my wife and I were woken up in a pool of sweat in the morning. I complained to the staff about it and they said they would send someone up to fix it. I get back to the hotel later that night and no staff member has messed with my A/C unit. I would like cold air, but my wife and I are really tired, so we just fall asleep in the sweat box. The next morning (day before I leave), I complained again and they said they would get someone up there. When I return to my hotel I noticed that someone was there because the buttons were adjusted, but the A/C was still broke. After that, I didn't even bother complaining because I was leaving the next day. To top it off, during the morning of my departure, I asked the front desk clerk about a 1:30pm checkout. He flat out told me no and didn't even bother to check his computers. I told him I was a gold member and he still looked at me without checking and said no. Overall a great location, but poor customer service outside of room service and valet.

I have never had a problem previously with any Westin, so this hotel must not be up the "Westin" standard. Anyway, I can say that I will never return to this hotel again.
Hopefully Westin will Get A Clue and FIRE their Current Mananging Staff!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:43 am

Wink

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Lets see now..... the temps in Key West for the week between Xmas and New Years ranged from a low in the low 60s everynight and the daytime highs in the low 70s (I believe touching 80 just one day) I find it pretty hard to believe that is that really too warm to sleep at night?( unless you are an Eskimo)

mike
Lets see now.....Florida Keys, Beautiful Sunrise/Sunsets, your isolated with your girlfreind/wife, add a little drinking...... That Room Would Be Smoking!!!!!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:50 am

Who Wants to Deal with the BS

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I encourage you that if you have problems in the future on a multi day hotel stay, you call the GM and ask if you can meet. Then tell him/her of the recurring service problems you are experiencing. It's not a lot of fun to have frustrations throughout your visit. At this time, you are understandably frustrated, but no one can get back that holiday for you. Thus, it is really good to be proactive and get the property to handle the problems while inhouse.
Yea, I would do the same but who wants to deal with the BS that I know I deal with at work!!! I'm there on vacation and each and every problem irritates me beyond belief, especially if I am staying at a five star resort!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
We've been to Key West a number of times but this will be our first stay at this Westin. We've always thought " what a great location." I've read some mixed reviews here and on tripadvisor, but that is often the case. I know we can speak up if something is wrong with the room, but I'd like to lay ground work for a nice stay.

After over thirty years together, this trip is in celebration of our second chance together. We need a nice trouble free get away.

I am SPG Gold. I understand there is a Preferred Guest Floor, and that Traditional Rooms are a little tired. Will SPG Gold get us anything , upgrade ect in high season. Should I cough up the extra points at booking, or waite til I check in.
It is a GREAT LOCATION! Your taking your chances on the service, management and facility. My first time at the Westin Key West (almost three years ago) was great. I was there in August '09 and it was POOR! EVERYTHING declined since my first time. Please read my August of '09 post. Based on other posts, it looks as if it is still hit or miss! They need new management and they need to up-date the facility! Its gone from a 5 star establishment to about a 1 or 2 star in my book!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...or made a comparison to the SS?
Thinking of heading to KW next month and was looking for some insights.
Homer, you need to stay in that downtown area. You should not even need a car! EVERYTHING is in walking distance! Careful of the WESTIN. a lot of mixed stay's as you can see here! My first stay was GREAT. My last Stay (Aug '09) was POOR!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Great Stay

We stayed here 3 nights this past weekend. All was perfect. The Renovations appear to be complete. Only a few Tube TV's are still being replaced with Flat Screens. We never turned the TV on. Upgraded to Ocean Front Room. Nice Balcony , overlooking the SunSet Pier. The Glass Doors leading to the Balcony were Super Sound Proof. Although we left the door open most of the time.
In my opinion , this is the best location in Key West. Did not rent car. Taxi flat $8 per person from airport. Walked everywhere. Staff warm and welcoming. WE will go back .
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
I just received this in my email from the Westin:

Coming in 2010 - Brand new Latitudes dining facility, featuring both indoor and outdoor dining, as well as multi-functional space for special events!

I sure hope they don't ruin Latitudes just to have more seats! It's literally my favorite restaurant in the world!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gnp001
I just received this in my email from the Westin:

Coming in 2010 - Brand new Latitudes dining facility, featuring both indoor and outdoor dining, as well as multi-functional space for special events!

I sure hope they don't ruin Latitudes just to have more seats! It's literally my favorite restaurant in the world!
They are also adding a spa on Sunset Key along with a facility for events. My hope is that the beach doesn't get too crowded.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Award stay - treated like second class citizen

I am a plat. Made a 2 night reservation. Uon check in, was told no upgrades available. No big deal. She offered an additional bonus since there were no upgrades. She seemed very apologitic. Warning bells should have gone off.

We were on a first floor room that was handicap accessible. No art work on the walls, Just two beds and a dresser. More like a Days Inn than a Westin.
But what they heck, we weren't going to be in the room all that much anyway.

Since there were 4 of us, we had a room with two double beds. I slept closest to the window. There were blinds rather than drapes. Since there was a really bright light outside our first floor room for the walkway, it was very, very bright in our room, even with the blinds closed.
Then the AC went on and off every few minutes. And it was blowing right on me as I tried to sleep. A brutal night.

Next morning, I waited in line as 3 groups ahead of me checked out. I asked for a room change, explaining why. Without a look, she told me that there were no rooms available.
When I asked about the rooms just checked out of, she told me that since I was on a points stay, the reservation automatically booked me in the lowest room available.
What??????? I thought I got a standard room. She told me that well, technically, but not the best standard rooms. When I complained, she told me that I was being unfair. She was quite indignant.

Wish I would have read the reviews here, as the ones complaining about the level of service, the quality of the rooms, etc. are spot on. Other than the location, this place has nothing going for it. Will never stay here again. A points stay isn't worth it and better value can easily be found if you are paying for it.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by travelingtom
Hopefully Westin will Get A Clue and FIRE their Current Mananging Staff!
The hotel is a franchise and is owner operated so unless Starwood kicks them out of the system, that's not going to happen

TW
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:22 pm

Staying here now....service is much better the 2 years ago.

PLAT guest, reserved 2x basic, king rooms at the G-rate...

Was upgraded to a ocean front room automatically for one of the rooms....I asked the front desk if I just could have the two rooms merged into a 2BR king suite for the same charge....took a few minutes, but I got the Duval suite with 2 seperate king bedroom, and 3 small private balconies that overlook the ocean and cruise ship docks on the tiop floor..... I am happy
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:05 am
Suspended

just had a one night stay here. check in staff were very friendly and we were upgraded to an ocean front room plus given a $40 voucher for breakfast at the restaurant.
room was a decent size, very nicely furnished and decorated. view was great. location can't be beat. i'm glad we decided to stay there vs the SS.
breakfast was excellent and very reasonable as well as our voucher easily covered the cost with a few bucks to spare. gratuity is not included as our server made clear.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Just finished a generally good stay at the Westin Key West using points (fortunately booked before the category change). I'd checked online beforehand, and the hotel was virtually full so I didn't expect an upgrade (having read so many negative posts on the property). I received a ground (1st) floor accessible room with King bed, which was quite gloomy and had a relatively noisy air conditioning unit. The positive was the proximity to the very nice pool - it took seconds to get to it from the room. The room did seem recently refurbished with furniture and carpeting looking new.

I had an excellent meal at Bistro 245 - made even more excellent as the kitchen had forgotten about the order (causing a delay) so the meal was provided free. Breakfast was also excellent (although not free - there was no mention at check-in of the new Platinum benefits, or in fact any amenity).

On check-out, I was asked whether I'd had a good stay. I responded yes, but with the caveat of the depressing room. In response, they removed the parking charges from the bill and apologised for not being able to treat their valued Platinum members as well as they'd like due to the high occupancy.

All in all, I would stay again as I thought the location, pool, restaurant and nearby activities couldn't be beaten. I'd probably pay for an upgraded room though. I've previously stayed at the Crowne Plaza La Concha and the Westin is a far superior hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.