Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:11 pm
Suspended

since this Hotel is a Resort there is no Guaranteed Late Check-out. So you cant fault them with that part at least.

Why didnt you ask that either they give you a new room or move you to say the Shearton Suites. I wouldnt have stayed if the a/c wasnt working or fixed after day #1. Yet for some unkown reason you stayed.Did you call Corp to fix teh problem by calling the Hotel?

Im not taking teh Hotels side but it seemed thats exacty what you did. I might understand if youw ere Overseas and didnt want to incur the expense but I would have made that 800# call once I got back day 1 taht the a/c wasnt fixed!

as for the wash cloths I dont usually use them but at times when there wasnt any I simply used a hand towel or would find my way to the gym area or the next morn raid the maids cart
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
First of all, sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but a few things of clarification:

It is very rare for a Gold member to be offered an amenity as you were i.e., the bottle of wine

Not sure why you would sleep through the heat when you could go down to the front desk and get somebody to come up and fix it or, as craz said, move to another hotel after the first night didn't work

As far as washcloths are concerned - like others I don't use them, but if this was so important to you again, why not go to the front desk, talk with a person, and GET x number of wash cloths for your stay? Inconvenient, sure but at least then you would have had what you wanted.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant
Not sure why you would sleep through the heat when you could go down to the front desk and get somebody to come up and fix it or, as craz said, move to another hotel after the first night didn't work
Lets see now..... the temps in Key West for the week between Xmas and New Years ranged from a low in the low 60s everynight and the daytime highs in the low 70s (I believe touching 80 just one day) I find it pretty hard to believe that is that really too warm to sleep at night?( unless you are an Eskimo)

mike
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Lets see now..... the temps in Key West for the week between Xmas and New Years ranged from a low in the low 60s everynight and the daytime highs in the low 70s (I believe touching 80 just one day) I find it pretty hard to believe that is that really too warm to sleep at night?( unless you are an Eskimo)

mike
well with temps like that I would have had the a/c on low but it would have been on

however I doubt I would have woken up in a sweat unless somehow the room got awfully hot
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

I encourage you that if you have problems in the future on a multi day hotel stay, you call the GM and ask if you can meet. Then tell him/her of the recurring service problems you are experiencing. It's not a lot of fun to have frustrations throughout your visit. At this time, you are understandably frustrated, but no one can get back that holiday for you. Thus, it is really good to be proactive and get the property to handle the problems while inhouse.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Originally Posted by MIKESILV

mike
I put the a/c on when outside temps are in the 40's if its humid...some of run hot...in the low 70's the a/c would be a must for me.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Other than the a/c issues....has anyone stayed at this property...

...or made a comparison to the SS?
Thinking of heading to KW next month and was looking for some insights.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Location, Location, Location. The SS is by the airport and you will need to take the bus, taxi or car to get to the downtown area. If you are looking for something remote then go to the SS, but if you are going to KW then the experience IS the downtown area and the Westin is in a great location!

Jim
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I put the a/c on when outside temps are in the 40's if its humid...some of run hot...in the low 70's the a/c would be a must for me.
Also, some facilities may generate their own heat especially if the building has a lot of windows. So even though the outside temp may be low, you may still want/need the A/C to cool the interior.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
great property in a great location....walking distance to pretty much everything....i had a really nice stay here last year....was upgraded to a one bedroom suite....
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Great location, variable quality of rooms (we saw 3 in total during our stay) ranging from tired through to extremely nice.

Service was very poor during our stay though, so it wouldn't be too high on my list of hotels to re-visit for that reason. I suspect our experience was not par for the course though.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RAPC
Service was very poor during our stay though, so it wouldn't be too high on my list of hotels to re-visit for that reason. I suspect our experience was not par for the course though.
i agree....my wife wanted an extra blanket & it took them 45 minutes & 3 calls to finally get it to our room....
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Location, Location, Location. The SS is by the airport and you will need to take the bus, taxi or car to get to the downtown area. If you are looking for something remote then go to the SS, but if you are going to KW then the experience IS the downtown area and the Westin is in a great location!

Jim
are you saying the SS got rid of their free shuttle? we loved taht since we were able to drink whatever we wanted and didnt have to drive back

id say its midway between the airport and downtown, and we liked taht it was off teh beaten path and quite in comparison to DT. plus free parking
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Getting ready to book award stay for next week , any suggestions

We've been to Key West a number of times but this will be our first stay at this Westin. We've always thought " what a great location." I've read some mixed reviews here and on tripadvisor, but that is often the case. I know we can speak up if something is wrong with the room, but I'd like to lay ground work for a nice stay.

After over thirty years together, this trip is in celebration of our second chance together. We need a nice trouble free get away.

I am SPG Gold. I understand there is a Preferred Guest Floor, and that Traditional Rooms are a little tired. Will SPG Gold get us anything , upgrade ect in high season. Should I cough up the extra points at booking, or waite til I check in.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
I am SPG Gold. I understand there is a Preferred Guest Floor, and that Traditional Rooms are a little tired. Will SPG Gold get us anything , upgrade ect in high season. Should I cough up the extra points at booking, or waite til I check in.
I would call ahead and tell them the reason for travel. I'm a Plat but have found them to be more than accommodating for special occasions.. They've always treated us great and it seems they treat everyone well. Obviously, this all depends on occupancy. I would call ahead though and see if they will confirm you an upgrade, if not, then spend the extra bucks/points! It's well worth getting the better room with sunset views!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.