Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:36 pm

Trip Report

We just returned from a 3-night stay at the Westin (not Sunset Key). While the location is about as good as you can get in Key West, this hotel has a way to go to meet the Westin standard of quality.

The room itself was very plain... a standard rectangle with bathroom in the corner, with a vintage Air Conditioner under the single window. Could have been a 4-points with a Heavenly Bed. No dual showerhead in the very plain bathroom.

As SPG Platinum, no upgrade was available, and we were put in a pretty undesireable room, on the ground floor near the pool, with very little privacy. People kept peering in our one window, so we had to keep the shades closed the whole time. We decided to try the hotel restaurant next to the water for dinner our first night. Despite being pretty much empty, we had a half hour wait for someone to take our order. When the waitress finally showed up, she complained to us for awhile about the hostess and the chef. We ordered a couple of appetizers and left. The next morning, we discovered our in-room coffee pot was broken, called for a replacement, and were told it would be replaced later in the day. We called room service for a $20 pot of coffee instead, and were told it would take 30 minutes. We called back to cancel, and were told that they'd bring it right over (which they did). When I politely mentioned the broken coffee pot / roomservice issue to the front desk later that morning hoping to get a break on the roomservice bill, I didn't even get an apology.

On our third night, we went to sleep early (8:30PM) and put out the "Do Not Disturb Sign". Sometime after 9PM, the turndown service knocked on our door and woke up my baby daughter. Bummer, someone must have swipted the "Do Not Disturb" sign. What is stranger is that we did not receive turndown service the other two nights even though there was no sign put out.

All in all, a really "blah" experience. I can't believe it was a Westin.
Old May 12, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Westin Key West [Master Thread]

Anyone have any experience there? Is the resort at Sunset Key worth over twice as much?
Old May 12, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I stayed at the Westin in February. I think there are a few threads about the hotel if you search. Basically the hotel is decent, with the best feature being it's right at the end of Duval St. so it's very conveniently located. I never made it to Sunset Key, but I think most of the comments on it indicated that it isn't worth the boat load of points being charged for it now. It used to be available for a lot less points only a year or so ago, and has increase in category a couple of times since then.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Any More Recent Stays?

Just thought I'd bump this thread up and see if anyone has more recent experience. I'm staying here in August for a long weekend.

ETA: Holy smokes...I just realized that this was my 2,500th post! It must be fate.

Last edited by MJonTravel; Jun 29, 2007 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:18 pm

We stayed here in March. Had reserved a 2 bedroom suite. When we arrived at "The Hemmingway Suite" we found a room that stunk of cigar and cigarette smoke. This dispite the hotels non smoking ploicy. The bedrooms were just OK. A bit on the worn side and the sitting room was a disgrace. Stained fabric on the funiture. Food ground into the fabric and a large dark stain on the carpet that I think moved while were not watching it!

We refused the room and after much stalling they moved us out to Sunset Key for the 2 nights. Had a wonderful "cabin" out there with a wonderful porch for sitting on the evening. Sunset Key was wonderful...like a different hotel completely. Too bad the main property can't seem to hit that mark.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:56 pm

Well, sounds like the hotel is not great. But the location is too good for me to turn down, so I'm going to wing it and see what happens.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
My in-laws just had a stay there in one of the two-room suites. They requested a move because the cruise ship blocked their view and they were accomodated. They had a wonderful stay, but no real detail on quality of rooms or anything.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:28 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone had recent experiences with this hotel?

Staying for a weekend on an award and wondered specifically about upgrades as a Plat and relative availability of beds. We were told that there we no king beds "preferenceable" and no upgrades available by using more points. It's a minor occasion, but would be nice to get at least a king bed.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Two Recent Stays

I have had two recent stays.. both of them mediocre.

They hotel has an excellent location..... thats all..
The quality of the resort is Sheraton.
The quality of the rooms... well lets say I like the rooms better at the Four Points by Sheraton, Newark Airport.

I was upgraded on one of my stays to an oceanfront suite... it was nice.

On the other stay I was upgraded to an oceanfront room. Definately in need of upgrades to the rooms.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I was just look at some pictures on tripadvisor and the room looked newly remodeled and very nice.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:17 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
I was just look at some pictures on tripadvisor and the room looked newly remodeled and very nice.
Those photos are the same ones that Hilton used back when it was a Hilton. I stayed there last just before the conversion, in July 2006 and it was OK. Definitely not a Westin-quality but good enough.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
These pictures?

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...e/key-west.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...f/key-west.jpg
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
McFlyPHL,

I'll be staying here next weekend (8/16). I'll post a TR asap. Although being only GLD, I don't expect I'll be able to offer any insight on upgrades.
I'm at the Westin Key West right now. As expected, being only SPG Gold didn't result in any upgrades. But the flip side of that is that is, being August, I was able to secure the gov't per diem rate of 139, so I'm just kinda happy to be here. I have a pool view room on the 1st floor. The room is ample enough, and I have a king sized Heavenly Bed. Turndown service is provided each night, along with chocolates and bottled water. Have no idea if everyone gets that or just SPG elites. Two Westin robes were hanging in the closet, and wireless internet is free. I've yet to sample the hotel bar or restaurant, as we are just too close to everything in Key West. My room smells of brand spanking new carpet, but several of the bathroom floor tiles are cracked.

The front desk staff seemed polite enough at check-in. Any specific questions, just ask and I'll try to answer. Overall, the place gets a solid B+, with an A+++ for location.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Anyone visit since August?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Not what you were looking for...but I was there in Feb. Room was decent...had a partial ocean (cruise ship) view. Nothing special. As others have said, the best thing about the hotel is the location. A few hundred feet and you're right in the middle of everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.