Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I like the renovation. My post is right around the time the renovation was coming to an end.

It's in keeping with what I think, it appears to be a Westin brand theme.
So you like all those dark-ish colors on the walls, and the dark gray curtains and carpet?

It appears that several other posters found the place kind of gloomy, and I suspect that the color scheme is the reason. But as I said, I would stay there again in spite of that.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
So you like all those dark-ish colors on the walls, and the dark gray curtains and carpet?

It appears that several other posters found the place kind of gloomy, and I suspect that the color scheme is the reason. But as I said, I would stay there again in spite of that.
Yes, I like it. If you look at my photos from this hotel, Westin Grand in DC and the Westin Philadelphia. You'll notice a similar design scheme.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 2:35 pm

Great hotel

This is a great hotel. I have been staying here since March and the customer service is exceptional. However, I would not rely on their wake-up call. I have had few instances where they did not give me a call. The process is manual, so you could only imagine.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I am staying at this hotel in early January, and although I notice that the hotel amenities say "tour desk," I was wondering what kind of tours were available? The Gray Line D.C. is great, and a very central location at Union Station - but I am considering renting a car to go to Montecello and Mt. Vernon on my own at DCA.

Also, is there a car rental desk at this property?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Also, is there a car rental desk at this property?

Not that I recall.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond
There's not a rental car desk on-site, but I believe there is an Enterprise about 1 block away.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:25 pm

Someone earlier said that the Westin Grand would be converted to W. Not the case, it is remaining Westin. An independent hotel called the Hotel Washington will convert to W in 2009.

The Westin Embassy Row now operates as the Fairfax Luxury Collection.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Just got back from staying at this hotel and thought it was not a good choice on my part, as I have have better stays at the other Westins. I was at a convention, so, understandably, it was busy place, but what I did not like where more hotel oriented.

Positives - 1) full Westin setup - shower, bed
2) Herman Miller Chair
3) LCD TV
4) good location
5) very (too) helpful staff
6) nice Westin Workout room
7) good sized lobby with places to sit and work (though can be loud)

Negatives (least annoying to probably should have checked out order)
1) v. busy concierge
2) they must have ordered too much of the old shampoo (clear liquid) as everything else was the green tea variety
3) Maid would surprise me with varying # of coffee pods, towels, bars of soap....
4) LCD TV (by LG) 'blinked' for the first ten minutes it was on
5) light at night time - LCD TV had a blinking red light at the back of the console, also the door had about 2" open at the bottom, so the room was as bright during the day as it was at night, which I had to use the decorative pillow to hide.
6) I had 2 double beds in the room, but tend to take the one away from the window -- when I turned the cover, I could see stains on it, so used the other bed.
7) slept in as I had a late check up but maid came in about 30 minutes before I wanted to wake up (note to self: lock door and avoid sleeping in the nude )
8) as I was leaving one morning, the doorknob fell apart so I could not leave the room. At this time I also noticed that the lock was missing. Called downstairs. It took a total of 30 minutes to fix everything. As I did not want to leave the room with someone there, I missed a couple of meetings.
9) finally and the most troublesome -- the hallway noise was very loud. I am not sure if the door was too thin, or what, but every person passing seemed like they were screaming. Also, the elevator was about 4 doors away, but I could hear it rise, the doors open.... not conducive for a good night's rest.

Overall, I am not a big fan of the hotel because of the shortcomings. These problems may be addressable - better baffling to muffle ambient noise, proper doors that go down to the floor and can block the noise, but were big enough that I would have moved (had there been a reasonable hotel room left in DC!)
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
do Plats get free breakfast at this hotel? I will be going there in Jan and have an option of booking a breakfast-inclusive rate for $25 additional (there would be two of us). which is the best choice - do nothing (if they give free breakfast), book the b-fast inclusive rate or just pay for it there? how much does breakfast normally cost?
thanks
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lerasp
do Plats get free breakfast at this hotel? I will be going there in Jan and have an option of booking a breakfast-inclusive rate for $25 additional (there would be two of us). which is the best choice - do nothing (if they give free breakfast), book the b-fast inclusive rate or just pay for it there? how much does breakfast normally cost?
thanks
Breakfast is NOT a Platinum benefit.

Honestly, I would eat elsewhere in DC.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I am at this hotel currently, and I don't really see what the previous posters had against this place. I was upgraded to a suite that had pretty much its own gym in it, and the bar is very nice. The staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful....and I would definitely recommend it -- especially for the price.

Now, I can't blame them for me getting lost in this maze of a city....but that's okay!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
Room Types

Anyone care to comment on what to expect for SIZE / QUALITY of the following rooms.

Traditional
Deluxe
Guest Office
1BR Suite

Via the hotel directly I am told that all 4 of the above are the same size. I just know that is not right. Need to call again. Suspect may get better answers here. Without detailing specifics - I used points to upgrade to a Guest Office in order to secure a King bed...just curious what that "gets me" in terms of room size, amenities, etc. Rack rates seem to be double.

And is the 1BR suite really same size? I read about the atrium suites - how big are they?

Thanks so much!!!

EC T
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EC Traveler
Anyone care to comment on what to expect for SIZE / QUALITY of the following rooms.

Traditional
Deluxe
Guest Office
1BR Suite

Via the hotel directly I am told that all 4 of the above are the same size. I just know that is not right. Need to call again. Suspect may get better answers here. Without detailing specifics - I used points to upgrade to a Guest Office in order to secure a King bed...just curious what that "gets me" in terms of room size, amenities, etc. Rack rates seem to be double.

And is the 1BR suite really same size? I read about the atrium suites - how big are they?

Thanks so much!!!

EC T
The last stay I was there I had a king room, but it was very large.

I haven't gotten a suite here, so I can't comment.

See folks, this is why we (cough) need pictures (cough) to accompany those trip reviews.

I hope the person who stays here next, does a trip review with pictures. Hint...Hint.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

See folks, this is why we (cough) need pictures (cough) to accompany those trip reviews.

I hope the person who stays here next, does a trip review with pictures. Hint...Hint.
Look, I can post pictures from SPG site...but will be there in April and take my own!!

Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dmgt
Look, I can post pictures from SPG site...but will be there in April and take my own!!

Smarty pants! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.