Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:19 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I stayed here a few weekends ago and, like a previous poster, had red-eyed in and was extremely pleased to be able to check in at 9:00am. I received a 10th floor SPG room (I'm Gold). The only thing I wasn't crazy about was that the room didn't have a truly "outside" window. The window faced into the giant atrium and so the only natural light coming in was through the atrium windows 50 feet away.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I just checked my parents in here for the weekend. At check in they insisted there were no suites available, even though it was possible to book at least 3 on spg.com. It turned out to be ok, as the deluxe room I was given is quite nice- it is on an SPG floor, is quite large (about 600 sq. feet)- very long with double beds and a small sofa; also a small patio (sans furniture). Apparently all the suites open into the atrium- kind of a goldfish bowl effect that I'm glad we didn't have to deal with. I'll snap some pics when I go back- now that I live two blocks away, I won't be able to comment on the stay. I'm mildly impressed so far though.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I just checked my parents in here for the weekend. At check in they insisted there were no suites available, even though it was possible to book at least 3 on spg.com. It turned out to be ok, as the deluxe room I was given is quite nice- it is on an SPG floor, is quite large (about 600 sq. feet)- very long with double beds and a small sofa; also a small patio (sans furniture). Apparently all the suites open into the atrium- kind of a goldfish bowl effect that I'm glad we didn't have to deal with. I'll snap some pics when I go back- now that I live two blocks away, I won't be able to comment on the stay. I'm mildly impressed so far though.
Did you book a suite or are you saying there were no suites to "upgrade" your parents into? Nobody knows exactly what hotel's inventory for "select standard suites" is.

Based on what you're saying, you (the SPG member - unless one of your parents is platinum) is not staying at the hotel.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Nobody knows exactly what hotel's inventory for "select standard suites" is.
Sure they do. SPG is aware of what is a select suite and can verify if one is for sale.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyb
Sure they do. SPG is aware of what is a select suite and can verify if one is for sale.
Come on man. Nobody as in a guest can tell what the inventory is as each hotel designates what an "upgrade" or a "select standard suite" is.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:54 pm

I booked the room and and checked in in advance, then added my parents to the reservation (I'm paying). True, maybe/likely the suites for sale were not select standard suites, but the check in agent was looking for a 'junior suite' which is the same as what was available on spg.com. It also seemed that on the whole there are not many suites at this property (you can essentially see all of them- they project into the atrium). I was actually quite pleased with the room we were assigned.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Come on man. Nobody as in a guest can tell what the inventory is as each hotel designates what an "upgrade" or a "select standard suite" is.
Not to be argumentative, but you can definitely tell if you inquire in advance. For times when I've really wanted a suite and thought that there would be a good chance for an upgrade, I've checked with SPG beforehand to determine which rooms qualify. I think it helps to know exactly what they are supposed to do based on the SPG T&C's.

In my experience, "Select Suites" tend to be called Executive Suites or Junior Suites, depending on the property, but they can of course vary widely from that.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:10 am
Suspended

Not to be argumentative, but you can definitely tell if you inquire in advance. For times when I've really wanted a suite and thought that there would be a good chance for an upgrade, I've checked with SPG beforehand to determine which rooms qualify. I think it helps to know exactly what they are supposed to do based on the SPG T&C's.

In my experience, "Select Suites" tend to be called Executive Suites or Junior Suites, depending on the property, but they can of course vary widely from that.
I agree. You're not being argumentative.

The majority of US FlyerTalker's know this, but I doubt the average Joe Platinum does.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:12 am

Agreed- I had actually called the property's reservation center and confirmed that the suites still available for sale were select standards that they use to upgrade PLTs.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peatisback
Agreed- I had actually called the property's reservation center and confirmed that the suites still available for sale were select standards that they use to upgrade PLTs.
You did book the room in your name, but you used a loophole. I can't be mad at that. You weren't staying there, nor does it appear you had any intention on doing so. This is where I have a problem. People may not agree with how I feel. BUT, as I've said before, the next time a Platinum member is not upgraded, remember threads like this.

I think that if I was staying at the hotel and someone who didn't earn status got the last upgrade, I'd be upset. No matter who you are, if people want benefits of status, then earn it.

OK, so where are the pics. You know I like pretty pictures.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:34 pm

You did book the room in your name, but you used a loophole. I can't be mad at that. You weren't staying there, nor does it appear you had any intention on doing so. This is where I have a problem. People may not agree with how I feel. BUT, as I've said before, the next time a Platinum member is not upgraded, remember threads like this.

I think that if I was staying at the hotel and someone who didn't earn status got the last upgrade, I'd be upset. No matter who you are, if people want benefits of status, then earn it.

OK, so where are the pics. You know I like pretty pictures.
How would you feel if I told you that the check in agent told me that the room he gave me was supposed to be for another PLT, but because they had checked someone else into my pre-reserved room earlier, they gave me that one?

I feel that if I'm paying for a room, it's my choice to spend as much or as little time in it as I like. Upgrades are not based on time spent in a room.

I've been pressed for time with moving but I'll be over again later tonight to take some photos.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Actually the footnote to the upgrade policy reads as "The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only"...

I would expect a one bedroom suite to be universally regarded as a 'standard' suite so long as it's not ocean-view or penthouse or in some other way unique. I always check online the morning of my check-in to see whether there are suites available and now and then I do have to push for the upgrade.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DudeE
Actually the footnote to the upgrade policy reads as "The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only"...
Somebody got it!he he he

Originally Posted by DudeE

I would expect a one bedroom suite to be universally regarded as a 'standard' suite so long as it's not ocean-view or penthouse or in some other way unique. I always check online the morning of my check-in to see whether there are suites available and now and then I do have to push for the upgrade.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

NOW BACK TO REVIEWS AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE WESTIN CITY CENTER
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I stayed here a few months ago (it was winter -- freezing temps and a few patches of snow on the ground). I had a room that faced outside, so I DID receive natural light from a fairly large corner window.

I will say this -- the refurb does NOT necessarily appear to have been done on the cheap as others have claimed (with some possible exceptions, such as the re-use of the doors).

My comment on the refurb is that they chose colors that were just too dark -- especially considering that it's an atrium hotel. Even in my naturally-lighted room, there was a somewhat gloomy aspect. The curtains, as I recall, were DARK GRAY -- too dark. The carpet was dark gray -- too dark. The walls were various neutral-ish shades, but all were too dark. I actually LIKED the textured wall covering; it was quite attractive. And the wall colors weren't bad -- they were just TOO DARK.

I can imagine that someone in an atrium-facing room would be especially disturbed by the gloominess caused by the unfortunate choice of colors!

Nevertheless, I would stay here again at the right price (as I recall, it was a pretty low rate). It's a decent hotel in a decent location.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:03 pm
Suspended

I like the renovation. My post is right around the time the renovation was coming to an end.

It's in keeping with what I think, it appears to be a Westin brand theme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.