Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Atrium suite or regular room?

I'm going to be in DC for five nights next June and had originally planned on a C&P award for the Four Points Washington DC Downtown (central location is important, as is being close to a Metro station).

Then I checked the Westin City Center Washington DC, and was surprised to see that suites - large ones in the atrium - were available for $289/night. The rate over the same period for a regular room is $329/night.

Of course, based on Starpoints, the suites aren't a value (24K/night vs. 12K/night for the regular rooms). But if one is willing to spend dollars, they appear to be.

I've heard they can be noisy, so I've requested one on the highest floor for the atrium suites (8th floor) and have tentatively reserved one.

Any other considerations? Is this a good deal, or should I simply reserve a regular room with Starpoints, get the fifth night free, and be done with it?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I'm going to be in DC for five nights next June and had originally planned on a C&P award for the Four Points Washington DC Downtown (central location is important, as is being close to a Metro station).

Then I checked the Westin City Center Washington DC, and was surprised to see that suites - large ones in the atrium - were available for $289/night. The rate over the same period for a regular room is $329/night.

Of course, based on Starpoints, the suites aren't a value (24K/night vs. 12K/night for the regular rooms). But if one is willing to spend dollars, they appear to be.

I've heard they can be noisy, so I've requested one on the highest floor for the atrium suites (8th floor) and have tentatively reserved one.

Any other considerations? Is this a good deal, or should I simply reserve a regular room with Starpoints, get the fifth night free, and be done with it?
I'm always upgraded to a suite, they are nothing special and oddly shapped. Noise was not an issue for me.

The hotels location isn't that great either compared to the Fairfax and Westin Georgetown.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I'm always upgraded to a suite, they are nothing special and oddly shapped. Noise was not an issue for me.

The hotels location isn't that great either compared to the Fairfax and Westin Georgetown.
In this case, only the W/Four Point/Westin City Center are near where I need to be. Larger room is a plus (Westin City Center appears to have the largest standard room of the three) due to the length of stay.

Good to hear about the noise in the atrium suites. I understand the suites are on floors 2-8. I'm not holding my breath for an upgrade, though, as I'm currently Gold. And besides, if paying cash (not points), the suite is actually less expensive to reserve right now than a standard room.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Was looking at booking this hotel for a stay in November, and noticed it is completely unavailable from 11/9 - 11/13 (the dates are even greyed out in the date selector on the SPG website). Does anyone know what's going on? Is it getting a renovation?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: UA1K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Was looking at booking this hotel for a stay in November, and noticed it is completely unavailable from 11/9 - 11/13 (the dates are even greyed out in the date selector on the SPG website). Does anyone know what's going on? Is it getting a renovation?
Or maybe it's being demolished??? We could only be so lucky...
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Does anybody have any recent experiences with this property? Platinum recognition? General Hotel Condition? Staff?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Gold, EK
Platinum recognition is average. Hotel condition is horrible. It is in dire need of repairs and it's almost an insult to call it a Westin. The AC unit in the rooms is very noisy and not very effective. Staff is friendly.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
Does anybody have any recent experiences with this property? Platinum recognition? General Hotel Condition? Staff?
I think the plat recognition is great. i get a card from the manager every stay, usually a free bottle of red wine, and sometimes a snack. on my 10th night last year they gave me some chocolate covered strawberries. upgrades are always attempted, but they only have 6 suites in the whole hotel so it isnt usually more than a higher floor. twice in the last couple years they even upgraded me to the presidential suite, though.

the property in general is maybe a little tired, but it's fine.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by cleanfloor
I think the plat recognition is great. i get a card from the manager every stay, usually a free bottle of red wine, and sometimes a snack. on my 10th night last year they gave me some chocolate covered strawberries. upgrades are always attempted, but they only have 6 suites in the whole hotel so it isnt usually more than a higher floor. twice in the last couple years they even upgraded me to the presidential suite, though.

the property in general is maybe a little tired, but it's fine.
Wow only 6 suites in a hotel in the center of DC? Sheesh. Any info on the Platinum Breakfast options?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:11 am

Booked two standard rooms for a weekend stay, was given two standard rooms, no upgrade (hotel was full). FD could not get us connecting rooms or even rooms on the same floor until 11pm (we checked in at 4pm).

As others have reported, definitely some wear and tear on the rooms/hallways, but no major issues. Plat breakfast was either breakfast buffett in the hotel restaurant or 500 points.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
has anyone been successful using a suite night here????
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Anyone stay here recently? I am going to be there for one night soon and got a nice personalized pre-arrival note from the hotel.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jkingsle
Anyone stay here recently? I am going to be there for one night soon and got a nice personalized pre-arrival note from the hotel.
stayed here earlier this month....had a great $109 brg rate & was upgraded to a huge suite....chose the 500 amenity points over continental breakfast....location is pretty good & i would definitely return....
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
If interested, more pictures and full review available here: The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center Review

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center - Starwood Category 5
1400 M Street NW, Washington, District of Columbia 20005
Award Redemption: 12,000 pts or 6,000 pts +$110
Normal rate: Varies widely b/t $119-$359, average around $224
Starpoints return: .1 cents points - 4.3 cents/point = terrible - mediocre return

This hotel is in a good, not excellent location. When you enter the lobby, you'll immediately be struck by the design--a 1982 building that gives you the feeling that you're in a fishbowl or an indoor shopping mall, which is pretty cool. At check-in, I wasn't offered an upgrade but was told that I had already booked a preferred room--c'mon make a Platinum feel special here! I chose the breakfast for all 4 nights instead of the 500 Starpoints.

The lobby, restaurant and bar--all multi-tiered

My room was on the 10th floor of the 14 floor building. While they didn't give me an upgrade, this Traditional Accessible, non-smoking: King Bed was a slightly preferred corner room--but while the room was bigger, the interior view was much smaller.

Traditional Accessible, non-smoking: King Bed

Large, accessible bathroom

The room had its fair share of wear and tear with a normal-for-the-age amount of scuff marks on the walls. The "window" opens up to the lobby, providing a decent feeling of being trapped in a fish bowl. And, it's just a strange feeling looking out of your hotel window and not seeing the outdoors.

View from 10th floor room

The property, as I've mentioned, is unique to say the least. The bar, restaurants and lobby are all designed to leave you feeling like you're suspended on a separate lily pad. I found the the bar to be too small for the size of the hotel-- it looked very cramped when I walked through.

Hotel restaurant

This is a rather run down, far from impressive property. I didn't hate it, but I will be going out of my way in the future to try either the Westin Georgetown, W D.C. or the St. Regis.

BOTTOM LINE: Decent property, at best. I'll be going out of my way to stay at other D.C. area Starwoods or Hyatts in the future.

More pictures and full review available here: The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center Review
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've been finding that this property frequently has a $179 AAA special rate for mid-week days, sometimes $100 less than my corp rate (which is a pretty good one for the most part). The rate seems to come and go, sometimes it pops up at the last minute. Agree with comments about the hotel, but for $179, it's a decent option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.