Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTT, AS Gold
Recent stay at Westin City Center

Just got back from three nights at this property. I've stayed at all the Westin's in DC and I like this the best. The best part about this hotel is the tower of suites at the middle of the atrium. I stayed on the 3rd floor suite - nice upgrade. They all have full living rooms, decks, big jacuzzi tubs, two person showers, and a big bedroom. I was busy with work, but I almost extended my stay on Friday night, just to spend some time lounging in the room.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:37 pm

C + P

Originally Posted by PowerM
Just got back from three nights at this property. I've stayed at all the Westin's in DC and I like this the best. The best part about this hotel is the tower of suites at the middle of the atrium. I stayed on the 3rd floor suite - nice upgrade. They all have full living rooms, decks, big jacuzzi tubs, two person showers, and a big bedroom. I was busy with work, but I almost extended my stay on Friday night, just to spend some time lounging in the room.
I have a C+P (4000/$60) stay for Sunday night. Any thoughts on if this is good value? Seems to be good especially with the impending move to cat 5. Is this a good location to be? I will have all day Sunday to explore the city (I may be headed there for law school in the fall). Is it near a Metro? I will be coming from IAD without a car. Is it accessible?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by onfo
...Seems to be good especially with the impending move to cat 5...
This property is NOT going up to category 5. It is staying at category 4. The only property moving up to 5 in DC is the Westin Embassy Row @:-)
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by onfo
I have a C+P (4000/$60) stay for Sunday night. Any thoughts on if this is good value? Seems to be good especially with the impending move to cat 5. Is this a good location to be? I will have all day Sunday to explore the city (I may be headed there for law school in the fall). Is it near a Metro? I will be coming from IAD without a car. Is it accessible?

Thanks!
Yes, the Westin is 4-1/2 blocks from the McPherson Square Metro station (Orange/Blue Line). Take the Washington Flyer Bus from the upper level near Doorway 4 to the West Falls Church Metro (Orange Line) ($16 R/T). From West Falls Church, it's about 25 minutes to McPherson Square. Exit on the 14th Street side and turn left and walk 4 blocks to M Street. The hotel is a half block from 14th & M.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:16 am

Recent stay

Couple notes on my recent stay at Westin City Center:

Taking a red-eye from SF, I arrived at the hotel at 8 AM on a Sunday and was able to check in (what a relief). The person checking me in recognized my gold status and offered the SPG floor (10). Unlike some hotels, this does not have a refreshment lounge, and the only identifiable perk to the SPG floor was a complimentary bottle of water. The view was pretty weak (probably the worst possible) as it faced an office building that was maybe 30 feed away. Little sunlight came in the window; however, it was a corner room that looked to be a bit larger than the other rooms according to the fire escape map. This was my first time at a Westin, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt like a blend between a Sheraton and a W, and I like how they don’t try as hard as W’s .

The only hiccup occurred when I visited the Business room to check-in for my flight. They have one of those swipe a card internet set-ups, and I was ½ way through my 10 minute allotment when the computer shut down. I went and spoke to the front desk who promptly gave me a new code for 100 minutes (obviously more than I needed).

All said, a great stay and I would certainly go back.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:52 pm

So, just checked into my room here, all looks very good, valet, check in desk, plat recognition, room. However, walking into my room, I see this crazy looking thing sitting on the end table,

First thing I thought was "uh oh, did some government agent leave their 007 stuff behind!?". Walking up to it, I was actually a bit concerned to say the least, here's the description on the side of the thing,

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/...38bdf95e_b.jpg

After speaking with the hotel folks, it appears they were trying to clean my room earlier (of an offending smoker) and left this behind. They came and got it after 10 min of my calling them, rather quick service.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Any more about the room? More pictures please.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
i head here for a 2 night stay, 2 rooms with family(14,12,8) any tips, thoughts for us as first time tourists would be appreciated
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lehms
i head here for a 2 night stay, 2 rooms with family(14,12,8) any tips, thoughts for us as first time tourists would be appreciated

Might I suggest visiting the Washington D.C. (including Baltimore) forum for tourist/local information.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I've stayed at this hotel 3-4 times now and choose it because of it's great location. i like it overall.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:06 am

I again stayed at this property and see improvements with each stay. One of the most obvious is that there is a recently hired concierge (Jake) who now works weekends. After chatting with Jake for a few minutes, and finding that he could help me with a number of recommendations, I asked him where he had previously worked before joining Westin. Turns out he continues to work at one of the most prestigious oriental-owned hotels in DC, and is only working a few nights a week at the City Center as he lives around the corner. Jake went on to tell me about his leadership position in the society for Concierges, and that one of his colleagues at the City Center also is active in the same society and recruited him to the City Center part time. He is a major important addition to this hotel.

Again, I would give the staff high marks for the friendliness upon checkin, even though they had a trainee check me in, under the watchful eye of their management staff. Because the hotel was full, I was unable to score a suite, but ended up in a pleasantly furnished room (909) on the SPG floor. The room has been adequately described by others and remains pristine following the recent construction, and allowed me to turn down the airconditioning so that I could sleep well. The staff explained that they had no suites available as this past week was one of the hotel's peak weeks with the Cherry Blossom festival, a marathon, and the opening of the baseball season. I knew they were sincere in the apology.

The only place that the hotel is starting to show wear is the carpet in the elevator bank on the 9th floor, as it has started to pull away from the padding and to stretch into little irregularities, indicating to me that it must have been inexpensive carpeting.

I am lookin forward to another stay with my wife for almost a week in about 10 weeks. The major improvement I would like to see this property consider is a SPG lounge where a complimentary continental breakfast could be served.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by PowerM
Ditto I received an upgrade to one of these suites on a FIVE night stay at $119/night back in January. Without a doubt one of the nicest upgrades I've ever received from SPG. I would also call it one of my best SPG experiences ever in 7 years as a Plat.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
After reading the reviews, I'm looking forward to my stay here in mid July ($119 Best Available Rate was too good to pass up). Hopefully I will be upgraded to one of the aforementioned Suites. If so, full picture extravaganza will follow.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
After reading the reviews, I'm looking forward to my stay here in mid July ($119 Best Available Rate was too good to pass up). Hopefully I will be upgraded to one of the aforementioned Suites. If so, full picture extravaganza will follow.
Westin Arlington Gateway and Westin Alexandria have pretty good deals too and both have good club lounges. You might be able to get rates ~ $89 a night via travelzoo. But, if you want to be in the middle of DC, then I suppose the city center will do.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:29 pm

I stayed here back in March for a couple of nights during the NCAA tournament. The staff was excellent all the way around from check in to check out. The room was great and we had a great stay at a great $119 rate. We would definitely love to stay again. Now, if only our teams could have won...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.