Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin City Center, Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Pictures added. Sorry for the delay.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Nice trip report; thanks for the details! ^ Did they mention how long the construction was going to go on?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant
Nice trip report; thanks for the details! ^ Did they mention how long the construction was going to go on?
Just that one day (night).
Old Sep 13, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Checked out today after a two night stay. Hotel is slightly rough around the edges - bathroom ceiling had a whole in it, no room service menu and when I called they brought up a photocopy. I was in a Junior Suite, which is essentially a large room with a hallway.

Overall this is a pretty decent property. They had magic tricks and a sketch artist in the lobby at happy hour, and people really seemed to be enjoying them. In addition, my colleague thought I made her reservation at a discoutned rate, when she went to check in they informed her that she didn't have a reservation, but agreed to honor the rate anyway. I would definitely stay here again.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A sad ending to my Westin City Center saga....

After ignoring my request to discuss the problem with my room's AC, and mangling the billing of the room (essentially accusing me of failing to pay at checkout ), I escalated my issue to the SPG Platinum Concierge Desk.

A very nice concierge discussed the issue with me and opened a ticket, requiring the manager of the property to respond to either SPG or myself within 5 business days.

Anyway, the concierge put me down for 10K point in case the hotel didn't respond - and sure enough, the hotel did not even respond to the concierge's ticket! I got the points, which is great, but I'm just amazed how this property refuses to even respond to a guest's legitimate concerns, even when escalated by SPG - especially when they're new and might benefit from learning what went wrong with my stay.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:54 am
Suspended

bocastephen, amazing.

It really strange how each guests experience differ. I like this property and would stay again.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I'll be staying at the Westin City Center for a weekend soon, and I'm wondering if there are any parking garages around that'll allow overnight parking. I'd like to avoid the $35/night parking fee if possible. Parking on M St. and moving the car by 7am just isn't an option for me...
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I'll be staying at the Westin City Center for a weekend soon, and I'm wondering if there are any parking garages around that'll allow overnight parking. I'd like to avoid the $35/night parking fee if possible. Parking on M St. and moving the car by 7am just isn't an option for me...
You said WEEKEND right? Well, I live in that neighborhood and there is PLENTY of street parking (if you spend a few minutes looking for it) for free after 6:30 PM on Friday and until 7:00 AM on Monday. I would park for free on the street.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCBob
You said WEEKEND right? Well, I live in that neighborhood and there is PLENTY of street parking (if you spend a few minutes looking for it) for free after 6:30 PM on Friday and until 7:00 AM on Monday. I would park for free on the street.

Thanks for the tip. ^^ I've looked, however because of 14 Street Construction the area appears to be jammed packed. I'll look harder on my next trip.

If I cant find street parking can I park in your garage/space at no charge?

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jan 28, 2008 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
*WARNING*

If it snows, LOOK CAREFULLY at the snow zone sign!!!! When I stayed in the area last time it snowed and fortunately I parked on a side street that wasn't a snow route (thankfully this @sshole stole my space on the snow route the night before). When I came out the next morning seeing his car getting towed, I was
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Yup. Weekend. Excellent. I was under the impression from an earlier post that I had to move my car by 7am everyday. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Thanks for the tip. ^^ I've looked, however because of 14 Street Construction the area appears to be jammed packed. I'll look harder on my next trip.

If I can find street parking can I park in your garage/space at no charge?
When was the last time you visited DC?? Obviously, not recently. The 14th Street construction project at Thomas Circle (near the Westin City Center) was completed months ago. I do have a garage space because of the difficulty of finding weekDAY parking. The question concerned weekEND parking.

As a side note, none of the lettered side streets above M Street or below T Street are SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTES, nor is Vermont Avenue. Here is a complete list of SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTES: http://ddot.dc.gov/ddot/frames.asp?g...r-list-rev.pdf
SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTES are all clearly marked with RED signs.

Last edited by DCBob; Jan 19, 2008 at 1:46 am
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:50 pm

I stayed at this hotel again this past week, and again was impressed. Even more impressive was the some of the rough edges that some have described were nonexistent. The desk clerk on check in was efficient and friendly and the concierge helpful. I would give the staff an A+.

There are a few problems that I noted and referred to management such as that when I tried to book additional nights in March at the hotel using the guest computer used for boarding passes, I was going to be charged $6.75. The room I had was one of those that was recently constructed in the center of the lobby on the 4th floor (400) and was a suite with a long hall that extended into the suite. How lights are turned on is an issue, as the living room nor the bedroom have any wall switches (or I couldn't find them). The bathroom has two entrances but only a light switch next to one of the doors. The temperature in the room was quite warm, and I asked that facilities people make it cooler for sleeping, but the second night seemed as warm as the first. Upon checkout, my bill was not under the door, but when I clecked out, I was told that they tried to deliver it but they could not slip it under the door???? When I got home, I noticed a $19 charge for the mini-bar that I did not use, nor was a telephone call I made charged. As usual, I called the hotel and then promptly took the $19 charge off with no questions asked, but when I insisted that they bill me for the phone call, they told me that they could not as the phone billing system had broken down for the days I stayed. Hence all outgoing phone calls on those days were free.

Needless to say, I booked two more nights in March using my home computer and am looking forward to those nights.

Why I stayed at this property is a story that I must describe. About 8 months ago, the small meeting (20 people) that I was to attend booked the Westin Grand for us, and I was looking forward to another stay at that property. However, two days before the meeting, the Westin Grand Staff called and said that we could not meet at their hotel (I had noted on their web page that the hotel was under construction and it was described as noisy throughout). Our meeting staff moved us to our usual hotel (Sofitiel), although the Westin City Center was offered as a substitute. Needless to say, even one was ticked off at the Westin Grand, and I suspect that they will no longer have the 50 or so rooms our group books at that hotel yearly. Being a loyal SPG member, I decided to stay at the Westin City Center, but suggest that those of you thinking to stay at the Westin Grand, beware of the construction.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:54 pm
Suspended

When was the last time you visited DC?? Obviously, not recently. The 14th Street construction project at Thomas Circle (near the Westin City Center) was completed months ago.
I was last in DC in Mid August.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Any recent reviews, trips or information on this property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.