Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Vancouver Wall Center, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Vancouver Wall Center, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC MM, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
I've stayed in both a 2 bedroom suite and a suite with 2 beds - 1 in an enclosed bedroom and 1 in the "common" area. Both are nice and much bigger than a standard hotel room. The true 2 bedroom suite has 2 bathrooms and a little mini kitchen.

This is a nice property in a good location staffed by people who seem to enjoy their jobs and working there.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Hi.

We are going to Vancouver for NYE, I'm debating between the Sheraton and Westin Grand. I would love any thoughts/advice!?

I'm and Plat SPG member.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:30 pm

I stayed here recently (late November). I was just a regular SPG member when I stayed so no upgrade. I liked the hotel though I found the decor very Ikea-ish.

The North tower, where I was, has the nice lobby and the lounge/restaurant. It's also just a couple of blocks away from Robson & Granville streets.

The Westin, which I walked by, is not too far away but I think is equidistant or just a bit further away from the Robson/Granville intersection but much closer to Rogers arena & BC place.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
Hi.

We are going to Vancouver for NYE, I'm debating between the Sheraton and Westin Grand. I would love any thoughts/advice!?

I'm and Plat SPG member.

Thanks!
If you decide on the Wall Centre, email the hotel manager ahead of time and request that they pre-block a corner room for you on a high floor in the North Tower (the newer huge tower). They're usually pretty accomodating for Plats. Take a corner room in the North Tower over a suite in the older South Tower (which they might try to offer you). Westin Grand is nice too, but it's often more expensive than the Wall and not worth paying more for IMO.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, AC E50K
Originally Posted by tjk1976
If you decide on the Wall Centre, email the hotel manager ahead of time and request that they pre-block a corner room for you on a high floor in the North Tower (the newer huge tower). They're usually pretty accomodating for Plats. Take a corner room in the North Tower over a suite in the older South Tower (which they might try to offer you). Westin Grand is nice too, but it's often more expensive than the Wall and not worth paying more for IMO.
Actually its the south tower that is newer and has the club lounge. (north Robson/Whistler, south Airport) I stay there often and get upgraded 9 out of 10 times. The north tower where the bar and restaurant are has smaller older rooms. Great hotel
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by maxxmaxx
Actually its the south tower that is newer and has the club lounge. (north Robson/Whistler, south Airport) I stay there often and get upgraded 9 out of 10 times. The north tower where the bar and restaurant are has smaller older rooms. Great hotel
Depends what you mean by newer. The much taller North Tower was physically built after the South Tower (2005ish?) and the hotel's main lobby has been in the North Tower ever since. Actually, there are two twin south towers, one of which is residential and they were built in the late 90s. A friend of mine actually lives there. They may have renovated the South Tower rooms since I last stayed in one, but I still recommend the North Tower for its floor-to-ceiling windows and the fact that the main lobby is there (which also has a Starbucks). The North Tower rooms are a bit 5 years ago style-wise (lighter woods, etc) but I found the South Tower rooms a bit dingy, plus I hate trekking across the parking lot to go back and forth from the South Tower. That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:56 pm

Depends what you mean by newer. The much taller North Tower was physically built after the South Tower (2005ish?) and the hotel's main lobby has been in the North Tower ever since. Actually, there are two twin south towers, one of which is residential and they were built in the late 90s. A friend of mine actually lives there. They may have renovated the South Tower rooms since I last stayed in one, but I still recommend the North Tower for its floor-to-ceiling windows and the fact that the main lobby is there (which also has a Starbucks). The North Tower rooms are a bit 5 years ago style-wise (lighter woods, etc) but I found the South Tower rooms a bit dingy, plus I hate trekking across the parking lot to go back and forth from the South Tower. That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

I lied. Curiosity got the better of me and I checked, the North Tower (the top half of which is a residential complex called "One Wall Centre") was built in 2001. More here, if you care. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Wall_Centre
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:54 am

I was able to get both properties for the same price 4000 pts and $60 / night. So all being equal which is better?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I was able to get both properties for the same price 4000 pts and $60 / night. So all being equal which is better?
Honestly, probably the Grand. It has an arguably, though marginally, better location at Robson and Homer. It comes down to your preferences though. Wall is a big Sheraton with a convention centre feeling and the Grand is a smaller, more intimate and "boutiquey" feeling Westin that's closer to good shopping and restaurants. A colleague of mine stays at the Grand almost every month and loves it. They have decent junior corner suites with separate, albeit small, living rooms. If you get one of those with a mountain view (preferably on higher floor), you won't be disappointed.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I haven't stayed at this property for over a year but when I first stayed I was unaware that the main lobby was over in another tower. I checked in at the South tower, received an upgrade to a fairly large but oddly configured suite and access to the lounge. Unless there was a reason why I would need to be over at the other tower I was to all intents and purposes in a standalone property. The separation from the main tower will almost certainly not impact the vast majority of guests and the proximity of the club lounge makes a south tower stay much more convenient.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:39 pm

Is the Club Lounge open on weekends??
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Yes, the lounge is open on weekends. We did a FWN two weekends ago. The breakfast is continental, with the standard fare of cereal, muffins, coffee, juice.

There are hors d'oeuvers in the afternoon but we did not partake in the feast.

Access to the PC and printer is via the stairs in the lounge.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
http://www.theprovince.com/Drug+disc...334/story.html
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
$5 F&B credit for declining housekeeping

Am staying at this property now (south tower). There's a card on the bed offering a $5 F&B credit or 500 SPG points for declining housekeeping service for the day (hang outside by 2 AM). I understand lots of people would be happy with this, but it bothers me -- I see it as a another step towards the a la carte pricing model adopted by the airlines, and I don't like that.

Also, the club lounge breakfast is just OK; very standard for U.S. Hilton's, for example. Only protein is hard-boiled eggs. Just a few cereals, a few breads, and some fruit. The hot water urn had been used for coffee. The evening snack in the lounge was much better, there was even smoked salmon, but none of that is available for breakfast.

Pool is very hot and on the small side; totally packed today.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
How many points could I expect to get for a standard one night stay at this hotel?
I got 12 points.
This seems odd to me as it is the equivalent of spending $12 on my SPG AMex card. Disappointed, and puzzled with this credit.
It was a nice hotel though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.